The Disabled Leading Disaster Responses

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Dec 3, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://phys.org/news/2019-12-ways-people-disabilities-involved-disaster.html

Good afternoon all,

A UN researcher did some research on subject.

In the US, it's now Federal law to provide for the disabled to participate in the planning, the response and the recovery stages. Much work needs to be done - as if I need to say this.

FEMA has an Office of Disability Something...forgot full name. Marci Roth was first Director of this office. They have good workshops.

The linked article is flavored more as a benevolent program to help the disabled. The US Responder programs are more "Just shut up and pass the rope and make a report entry" type. The typical American wheel chair bound won't be going out with the river SAR team but can realistically be found at the heasd shed tent working the radios.

Note that the article links "aging people" with the disabled.

Maybe in Indonesia, Brunei and Malaysia to "inform the authorities about the living conditions..." is productive but here it's like yelling at hurricane winds.

Recently was at a seminar with some NGO disabled folks present. The BEST statement of the 3 day workshop came from a blind woman. There was an informal "vote" to cancel a large lunch at end of program. This blind person said the lunch was important. YES ! We can't speak freely at the audio-visual recorded programs.

For a basic rule: 99% of knowledge obtained before and after the meeting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The blind Lady was correct. To me, that is the problem with so many seminars or think tanks. There is always a preconceived bias, that group think requires. Advocate for a different path and you are not invited to the next discussion.

Caribou likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its a nice thought but I don't think many disabled will survive anything more than minor events, the big one SHTF/TEOTWAWKI will likely see their demise.
    if someone is reliant on outside agencies for any form of help, lets take my late mother in law as an example, she was house bound, off her feet, she had to have some one in to get her out of bed and dressed, and into the living room chair, someone came in at lunchtime and tea time to get her meals, then in the evening someone did the reverse of the morning and put her to bed.
    she also had nurse visits to change her dressings-ulcered legs.
    when TSHTF and the power grid goes down none of these outside agencies will be working anymore, so anyone relying on them for such tasks will be vulnerable.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  4. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The wife and I rely on meds. I have acquired a substantial supply but when they run out the clock starts ticking. We'll have some time and we can do much with diet but our time will be shortened, that's just the way it is. Many are in far worse straights than we are.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    getting a supply of meds has always been a problem in the UK, OTC drugs aren't a problem but anything that needs a prescription needs to be signed by a doctor and they aren't about to let us stockpile-for any reason, a certain amount can be obtained by putting in monthly repeat prescriptions a few days or even a week early but it has its limits.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Lonewolf,

I ask to clarify something in re the current integrating emergency participation programs for the disabled. It's different now than the Great Society nonsense "everyone is the same; just differently-abled".

The new programs recognize those needing some sort of help whether a medical device "DME" - Durable Medical Equipment like O2 machines, an attendant, etc.

For many of the emergency programs such as volunteer fire and rescue departments, the disabled can now participate if conditions allow for the participation. If someone is eg wheelchair bound, if the person has transport arrangements, the person can apply to work at the volunteer fire and rescue station. It's the same for a blind person. If the blind person has an attendant of some sort, husband, wife, live-in, service animal and can get to assignment eg a radio room at some Emergency Operations Center, they are eligible to apply for the volunteer work. It's similar for the paid work.

I've had "disabled" on my various Responder teams. Their performance is limited when compared to eg the Royal Marines and US Paratroopers but it is about equal to others who show up and spend more time with the coffee and Granola bars than setting up cots, writing reports, traveling, loading trailers.

The "macro" view is that these disabled participating in something at an emergency facility - sometimes emergency field location - are better taken care of than left in a house or apartment and suddenly there's an evacuation order because of eg a fire, a changed hurricane path, etc.

I am not discussing all categories of the disabled; just a few.

I have more problems with the healthy than the disabled. The US has changed since the Vietnam War and Great Society era. The current generation running the governmental programs have shallow knowledge bases and are not street-wise. It is reflected in our national declining standard of living.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is all just a bunch of "feel good" stuff that is only applicable in disasters of the most limited sort. In a major disaster aid is doled out on a basis of what will help the most people...and that is the way it should be. Any help that can be offered to the handicapped will need to be offered BEFORE a disaster rather than after. If you are in a wheelchair living on the 10th floor of an apartment building might not be the best place for you. Plan A would be to move the handicapped to only the lowest floors. During a fire and emergency evacuation, they are going to be unable to do down stairs. If the elevators are out it is too late to have a meeting and talk about it. The reality is that they are no more deserving of help than anyone and should not be placed ahead of able-bodied people if it reduces their chances of surviving. Reality is that in disasters people get hurt and some die. If you have special needs YOU need to plan ahead for them or accept the reality that you might not make it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Dan,

Ref: "if conditions allow for the participation";

Emergency /disaster help is not offered to disabled individuals prior to the event. We do not have the personnel nor the funds for additional labor hours.

At emergency shelters and other emergency facilities with uninterrupted power supply, there is some limited help for volunteer disabled who have been "cleared" to do some basic type of work. All of this I'm rambling about is new and limited but it did start and it's the best path to follow so far. Yes, there are headaches involved. Someone's emotional support dog doesn't like someone's service animal, ...

Those disabled on the 10th floor of an apartment building and those disabled living alone in the country side - I really shouldn't write this - I am good at writing obituaries.

Even in large disasters eg a major Atlantic seaboard hurricane, there's still the "busy work" at the emergency facility sites in support of the deployed SAR teams, the utility crews, the LEOs, the other orgs.

I had appointed a 100% disabled (service connected) as an incident commander for outdoor work. Better performance than the trash I must deal with on a routine basis.

Texas can't be that different than here. Aid isn't -exactly - given out as per where it will help the most . The heavy equipment at Fort Belvoir, Fairfax County might have a complexion to what heavy equipment shows up at River Oaks, Houston.

MUCH politics involved in all of this.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In some ways the government may tend to go to the rich but in Texas we don't sit on our ass and wait for the government to come help us. When Harvey flooded Houston we handled it.
    7efd898c4ffcb3bf9dca5cbacf7ed61d.jpeg

By the time the government got there, we and our friends from Louisiana's Cajun navy had the evacuation DONE. Then the churches made sure that people were fed and shelters along with local businesses and local people. HEB a Texas based Grocery store chain has a huge mobile kitchen and they showed up with truckloads of food. The town that I live near filled up an 18 wheel truck trailer with donations for the shelters, blankets, bedding and food. The Government "help" showed up a few days later with some aid but the initial response that COUNTED was nearly all local.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Medication+++ I am type 2 diabetic and can survive without my meds BUT I do stockpile. I got a prescription requiring 3 doses a day. I take 2 does a day. It does add up over time. This can be worked out, without your doctor being complicit.

Emergency care = For the nonmobile it will be SOL in a major disaster. Home bound will be in deep doo-doo. That was proven when that assisted living home abandoned their patients and fled during the flood, hurricane (forget which one). As TexDamn posted, people will die, just that simple.

11. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Another "feel good about us" piece brought to you by the power hungry at the United Nations.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The people of the United Nations are not power hungry, they are just plain greedy. They don't want to control the world, they just want all the worlds money.

Dalewick likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone relying on an outside agency, either carers or nurses, in a SHTF situation is liable to find themselves being abandoned as such staff abandoned their clients in favour of their own families.
    it all comes down, as always, to self reliance, the ones that can be self reliant will probably survive, those who cant wont.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.