The Great Snow Storm Of 2018

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by blade_foxhollow, Jan 13, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. blade_foxhollow

blade_foxhollow Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    We here in my hometown survived. It was tough but we managed. The record amount of snow was a whooping .05 inches. Absolutely terrifying. Even got sent home early because of it. But seriously. How is everyone doing after that nasty mess from last week's storm?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Squirtgunsquirter

Squirtgunsquirter Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    My buddy in PA got plastered, but he is super prepared, and just enjoyed it.

Wisconsin has been having some cold temps, but its been a nice winter so far. I will be going out on the river for a few days soon. In January 0.0 I would LOVE a massive storm to hunker down in. So would the adventure dog, for that matter. It's been too nice.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    There was ice here. Not a big problem. We once lived a few years (less than a full decade) in a state that gets real winters / bad winters, so we are used to having ice cleats on our shoes and on our vehicle tires. People here complain about minor winter realities and are unable to drive in non-challenging conditions, so I wait until most of the kittens have made it home then head out from work. I had no problems save having to walk on ice-covered concrete -- had my shoe cleats with me but hadn't put them on. Saw teenagers having problems, ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here I am an old man getting around better. God's black sense of humor!

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Well on this side of the world, at midsummer we had a hail storm that stripped at least 50% of the canopy from our forest trees, damaged 3 of our vehicles, smashed 3 solar panels, broke everything outside made of plastic, broke a window up in the cottage but spared the main house except for the pipes from the main house roof to the lower tank. Smashed tank overflow pipes & turned our garden into green silage!!! I don't know what muppet wished for a white Xmas but I don't think they had a hail storm in mind!
    Keith.
    4e7915c06642c24b63e06ae04599cced.jpeg

5. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Jeez Louise! Sorry, man! Really hate it about your garden!

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, us too mate, still it has bounced back surprisingly well. We have been bringing in the damaged marrows & using what we can, & the plants have started flowering again! Same with the silverbeet, new leaves already! Only a short season left now with a lot of catching up to do but should see us through winter if we don't get another hail storm.
    Keith.

7. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    Snowing here again, 12 to18 this time.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    This has been a LOOOONG tough winter. Global warming is freezing me to death.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    I hear you there. We've had three noreasters in two weeks. Getting tired of moving snow.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    That is the global warming prediction, that it will gradually get colder in the northern hemisphere.
    Keith.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I think that the idiot scientists are beginning to feel that they have gotten about all the money that they can out of the "Global Warming" lies. I have read a couple of articles lately where they are not predicting a possible little ice age starting as early as 2030. I look at all of this as the same thing as the fundamentalist preachers that are always predicting the "end times" are drawing nigh...give me money. There is always big money in predictions of disaster.

When the weather people get to the point that they can tell me whether or not in is going to rain tomorrow or not then I MIGHT believe they can predict something. Just a few years ago, here in Texas, we had a drought and this led to fires everywhere. The scientists told us that this was part of a 60 year cycle and that we could expect this to become the normal weather pattern for at least the next 15 or 20 years. We have now har three CENTURY floods since then and are so far from a drought that it is silly to even contemplate.

About 12 years ago we had a horrific period of hurricane activity. I remember a picture of three hurricanes all well formed and heading to Florida across the Atlantic. That was the year that they ran out of names. These were monster storms not the little weak cat 1 or 2 storms. Once again they told us that this was what Global warming was going to bring us from now on and they upped the number of possible names to cover the increase in the number of hurricanes. The previous 10 years before Harvey have been that quietest perion in recent history and we have not had any hurricanes hit the Texas coast for almost 12 years. There wasn't a Category 3 or higher to hit anywhere in the US for 10 years.

Basically the real facts is that the world has had one of the most generally gentle weather periods in many centuries and we have mostly been allowed to believe that this is "normal" . When you look into the past you will rapidly see that this is not the norm and that we are past due for a more energetic and variable weather pattern.

I love archaeology. One of the most interesting things to me is that all over the world we find HUGE, highly advanced structures that were a part of a huge culture that seemingly just got up one day and walked away. You find this on every continent and it happened over long stretches of 1000s of years. It wasn't something that happened just once in time.

As we are getting better at interpreting the things that we find we are beginning to see that in almost every case there was an adjoining weather pattern. On several occasions in North, Central and South America droughts took down huge very advanced civilizations. The huge city and temple complex at Angkor Wat in Cambodia may have been abandoned because of flooding that just kept happening year after year because of a change in the climate there.

I think that despite what the idiots are saying that if any true prediction can be made about what the weather is going to do over the next few hundred years it is that it is likely to be very variable and unpredictable. THAT is more the normal historically than the last 400 or so quiet years.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Well no one can disagree that the weather is unpredictable. We have had one of the hottest summers on record, but they warning us that this winter coming could be a lot colder than normal. I hope the summers here do not keep getting hotter, winters too for that matter. We need a cold winter to kill of the damaging bugs.
    Keith.

13. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Finally starting to cool down here now, frosts & ice in the night. Not winter yet so this is a good sign.
    Keith.

14. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Starting to heat-up 'round here. Planted better part of garden this past weekend.

Funny how our seasons are sort'a kind'a opposite.

I once asked somebody about this and he said that there was this equator thingy. He said that if you're up in a space ship an' look down on the middle parts of the Earth, you can see this big wide line -- that thar is th' equator. OK, so I asked Ricky about the space ship ride / whatever. Ricky said he'd been kidnapped again. And then he went to ramblin' on about how there was an actual big ol' pole way up on top of the Earth that has a gold ball on top of it, an' how Sainty Clawz has a big spread way north in Canada and on and on.

Ricky ain't right, but somehow that equator line makes sense. I'm going with it anywayz.

Git your woman to git the long-handles out the top shelf uv'th'closet and wash'em.

15. Beforenow

Beforenow New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Climate change is real. Winter, spring, summer, and fall. Anthropogenic climate change is another story.