The "just In Time" Food System Has Collapsed.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by lonewolf, Sep 11, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      310/345

Blog Posts:
    The article is a typical Daily Mail exaggeration. It has its problems, there is no doubt about it, but it is nowhere near collapse.

The issue with "just in time" systems is that the slightest hiccup causes problems. Years back "just in time" was brought in for a national company I worked for. It soon became known as "just too f****** late". Even road delays could cause job failures.

The situation is, of course, more serious when it is the food chain that is affected but, nowadays, with most homes having freezers it is unlikely to cause hunger, just a reduction in the variety of available foodstuffs.
    Oone thing to be mindful of is something a lorry driver told me only a couple of days ago - more money is made out of moving consumer goods than food and, now that the country has gone back to work, more consumer goods is being purchased again.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the JIT system is okay when it works but its so finely tuned that any blip in the system could bring it crashing down.
    in the UK I have noticed Lidl have a problem with some of their suppliers whereas something like Asda dosent.
    I think it will hit the masses more if it affected the take away and ready meals market!!!

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A good read Lonewolf . I think most of our members are savy enough to already realize the supply chain is crashing . I made a rare appearance at a WalMart a few days ago and took the opportunity to stroll around to look at empty shelves . Many shelves were 100% empty . In particular noticeable was the paper product isle , that was about 40% completely bare . Only higher priced paper towels and toliet paper remained . -- As the world leaders dance to the strings their master pulls and continues to try to force people into taking the covid vaccine we will see the supply chain further disintegrate . As we all witness , the leaders will blame the world collapse on Covid when in reality the collapse is caused by the communist grip over the people shuting down businesses , restricting travel . and the insistence that every one needs to get the covid vaccine into their blood stream . --- The collapsing supply chain that we can now see by simply strolling around a store is only the beginning of the collapse . I expect it to get much worse . Even if every person on the planet submitted to the unknown " Emperor " the collapse will not stop , the avalanche is coming .---- I agree with the link . This time the descent of the supply chain is going on a one way trip that will never recover . Communism is simply a government system that has always failed for the average citizen .

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I noticed a problem in Lidl last week with juice cartons and UHT milk-there was NONE, yet I could buy as much of both as I wanted in Asda, so it seems to affect the small budget stores more than the big ones, purchasing power I suppose.

DirtDiva, Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont think its so much of a food shortage as less choice, you wont starve but you might not be able to buy your usual brand.
    wife was in a store this morning, she said there were empty shelves sure but there was still plenty of food to buy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree with your wife. There is still food there just less selection, poorer quality fresh fruit and veggies, smaller packages with higher prices. Still lots of gaps on those shelves.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not really a problem where we live and we only go to the supermarket once a month and thats mostly for canned food.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I suspect the lessening food supply will escalate creating " of a sort " a bidding war on what food is available . Those with the financial resources may have food on their table where as those with a restricted budget may find their table with less desirable food on it . This happened when Venezuela began its descent , to the point they were setting at the table looking at the family pet cooked and prepared for consumption on the table .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont think its quite got to that stage yet.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Heinz has put the prices of their canned goods up so much some supermarkets are refusing to stock their products.

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    One supermarket, Tesco , is refusing to pay proper prices. I work in the food industry, and supermarkets are bast@Ed’s for paying proper money to suppliers.

oh yes, Heinz are refusing to supply THEM. Not the other way round.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    is that so? I heard it was the other way around Tesco's didnt want to pay the increased prices, something was said that customers wouldnt buy the cans and they would be left on the shelf, or words to that effect. but I'm sure you know differently.
    I dont shop in Tesco's btw.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just like === "Your fired --- No I am not, I quit" same results. Bottom line, Heinz not on Tesco shelves.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if it will affect other supermarkets.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    When people refuse to pay the price it likely means the food chain has reached the maximum price people are willing to pay and are going to fall to a lower eating standard for their survival . For instance in my stash is whole grain livestock corn that I am prepared to grind up boil and eat if , the price at the grocery store is simply to costly . Even if they do have the money " many don't " people will at some point pivot and refuse to pay a ridicules price . That is something that could indeed spread to other food outlets .

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Brownbear, TMT Tactical and DirtDiva like this.
  17. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Apparently Heinz have made it public because the supermarkets screw suppliers. They are bringing the ‘system’ into the public eye.

Brownbear likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Just because Heinz went public does not make it correct. Unless you were sitting at the negotiating table, I seriously doubt anybody know who said what or did what. MSM is not exactly a reliable source either.

TMT Tactical, Jul 4, 2022
  18. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      310/345

Blog Posts:
    It is an interesting scenario, and watching ti play out might give a glimpse into future food supply issues.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is so much choice even in just canned stuff that there are plenty of alternatives if one brand is not available.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.