The Little Things That Can Give You An Edge

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Dalewick, May 20, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to start this for people to tell about pieces of gear/kit (for the Brits) that they believe could help them stay alive after a SHTF. Especially a bad SHTF or even a TEOTWAWKI event. Especially things that you have made or assembled yourself. All ideas wanted....DIY, new tech, etc.

One new tech item I have ordered is from Thyrm. It's called a Dark Vault. It's a small box designed to block electrical signals from reaching items like a cell phone or other devices. I bought the non-blocking model for carrying my GPS, Compass, Kestrel and a few smaller items in the position on my chest rig.

darkvault-product-500x500-6.jpg

Multicam-darkvault-image-500x500-1.jpg

Which will take the place of my old DIY navigation board.

6ed302d23761cec12c9eef87ea35b0a5.jpg

So, what do you have.

Dale

wally, TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    with regard to tech items in a SHTF situation I am going to be like Yul Brynner in The Magnificent Seven when he was referring to guns he said he would "throw them in the water bucket and ride out!" :D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My gear favorites list for on the move situations...

Handgun...This is a hard one for me. If I expected trouble, it would be a Colt 45 ACP or a Ruger 357 Mag Double action revolver. For general use that could do everything and is TOUGH and dependable I like the Ruger single action Blackhawk in 357 mag 6" barrel. Hunt, big and small game, protection may be less than other guns BUT I can hit a man-sized target way past a hundred yards with one or fan it and run a can all over the place. LOTS of years with these. Both 22lr Single 6 and Blackhawk 357mag/38 Special...All that said a good automatic 22LR with target sights and accuracy is hard to say anything bad about.

Long Gun if I could only have one...Ruger 10-22 and lots of ammo. If I was in Bear country that might be a Henery 45-70 lever action!!!

Knife...I have a belt knife with a 4" blade that I made. It is shaped like a small Marine corps belt Kabar knife. The Kabar is good but a little too big so I made a smaller one. Buck makes a couple that are similar. One is a little bigger and the other a little smaller.

Chopper... I personally like a larger tomahawk or a small hand axe. The thing about a Hawk is that it can do multiple things pretty well and is light and easy to carry. I have one that I like and that would be my go-to...

Pocket knife... It is hard to beat a Victorinox Swiss Army knife. They are so damn handy for so many things. The only problem with them is that they are sort of bulky.

ire...We all love matches and lighters but they all have the flaw of only being good for a while. If you will learn how to use it and make a bunch of fires with them a Ferrocerium rod on a block of magnesium metal will make thousands of fires. In my fanny pack I actually carry a mag and ferro rod, a disposable butane lighter and a metal waterproof match box with kitchen matches. I also have a magnifying glass lens that I can make a fire with in a worst case situation. I cut the matches for the metal match box and then put a cotton ball on top of the matches and added a small ferrocerium rod to the box.

Other carry items...condoms, bandana, small med kit, mini-maglight,, Wire saw in the liner of my hat, Monocular, Compass, small sewing kit, small water bottle and a couple of protean bars.

Dalewick and wally like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm always near a gun. Runs in the family. Getting ready for bed but have a gun in my pocket.

When I was a child, I was surrounded by guns. Women had guns. Guns were power tools. Tools, just tools; but tools with which one was careful/mindful, like a rip-saw.

My paternal grandmother had Pap's revolver nearby after he passed.

God gave scorpions stingers. Scorpions are beloved of God

Dalewick, wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i have a thread here for my BOB which i am never far from. EDC? generally a pocket knife and some kind of fire starter OR i carry my ranger rick SOS key chain kit(no longer in production)....i'm a non-electronic guy for gear...but sometimes i borrow mothers cell phone and carry that too....

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep a GHB in the car permanently. non tech stuff just basic gear to get me/us back home.

wally, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  8. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Day to day I don't keep anything special in my vehicles, spare phone (with call time), £150 cash, torch (flashlight), jump leads sort of thing, always got rain gear/army softie stashed. If I'm heading for the hills, especially North Wales or Scotland in winter I go prepared. Tool box full of food, lot of chocolate, coffee/hot chocolate, 5l water, small gas stove + 500 gm gas canister and 2l pot, blizzard bag. Up there I'll have winter clothing and camping kit with me anyway.

Dalewick likes this.