The Only Boat Available

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by neoKit, Jul 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Imagine you're leaving Syria, which is a war torn country. When you are at the shore you see a rescue boat coming but it is full of people. Will you risk your life boarding it or you will look for alternative means to move to a safer location. I am really saddened to realise how many people drown while crossing the Mediterranean.

2. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I would not try and board it because if it's already full, then it's more likely to topple if I get on. I also know that there will be other people who see it full, and will still try to get on anyway. I'd rather just let them have there boat, and if it doesn't flop, then I'll just say at least I know that I was taking precautions.

I would find another way, I watched "Cast Away", I could hide out, and create my own custom boat and float wherever the drift takes me.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    It could be hard to survive if you have no provisions but it's entirely possible to get somewhere on a raft. In 2011, an 85 year old man got across the Atlantic on a raft made of pipes but he had two friends with him. They had sails, a lot of food and radios they could use to get help if they needed it.

To be honest I wouldn't attempt an ocean voyage on a raft. That's akin to gambling with your life.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would not get in any boat-I nearly drowned when I was 12, I would try to find an overland route.

5. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I would look for an alternative, there might be more boats or I would try to move somewhere on land, but the idea of an over-filled boat on the Mediterranean sounds like a death wish.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    It's sad that people in Syria have to live like this. Imagine if their land wasn't placed at the border of two continents, they wouldn't have had to deal with these war conditions. Anyway, back to the question, I would personally jump on the boat regardless of how many people are on it. Finding a way out in that situation would be pretty hard and getting on that boat would be my best bet of survival.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you reckon?? many haven't made it to the other side, you could have been one of them, the most obvious choice is not always the best.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    My decision would depend on if I am been pursued by hostile forces then I would have to probably make a hasty decision. In a situation like that, I think I would have to take the option of getting on the boat because even though it would be a great risk, I would probably still have a better chance of survival.

9. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    While I might realizing that hopping on a boat has a high death risk, I'd probably still do it because I'd be really terrified to the point where I actually can not think of anything better to do. However, if the harm coming after me was more direct and focused on me alone, then I might try to hide and plan quickly on what to do next.

10. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Same thing if you were to get in a boat with 50 other strangers, you don't know what's going to happen. I would take my chances because I wouldn't have to worry about those people in the boat who also might be terrorist also just waiting for the right moment to flip the boat and kill all the passengers. I'd hate for that to happen, but you can't trust people, they are crazy. Just look at whats happening everywhere.

That's amazing to hear that an 85 year old man did that. People are crazy, but also amazing.

11. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Reminds of something that happened a couple years ago. There was this boat that had African refugees heading to Europe. It had Muslims and "Christians" on board. The Muslims decided to kill the Christians because . . . well, they weren't Muslims.

I suppose in a survival situation if people fear the boat might sink lots of people will be tossed overboard. So yeah, it does pay to take precautions or do whatever it takes to avoid being one of the casualties.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you get into a boat with 50 strangers, can you even sleep? I mean you don't know their intentions do you? no, too dangerous, find another way.

John Snort likes this.