The Pike

Discussion in 'Primitive Weapons' started by Tom Williams, Feb 5, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    One of the easiest to make very effective made of hardwood 3-4inches round 16-20 ft long some are sharpened on only one end but i do both ends if one snaps in heat of battle still have a shorter but effective weapon

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    These I believe were used against mounted enemies, I am not sure that they would be of any use against an enemy on foot. They are easy to avoid on foot, & once you are past the end/tip of the pike the pikeman is defenceless if the pike is all he/she has. Personally I would go for a shorter spear, just as easy to make, can be thrown or used to stab. Much lighter & faster to use.
    Keith.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Old style fight tatics are lost to most a sheild wall los arund troos pikes we used to hold off a many as po ssible they allso used on to of walls to stab and poke men climbin wall used right they work

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pikes were used in formations where a large number of pikers could present a sort of porcupine offensive and defensive front. It was popular because pikes were cheap and didn't require much training to be effective in a group. One person with a pike is at a severe disadvantage to almost any other weapon. Once an attacker gets past the point the pike it is almost useless defensively.

A spear can be pulled back or even spun and reversed to hit an attacker on the head. You just can't swing a 10 to 15 foot long pike and if the attacker grabs the shaft they have as much leverage as you do on what it is going to do next. Pikes were good against light cavalry.

Rather than a pike I like shorter lighter spears. They will keep an attacker at bay and also offer a balance of offensive and defensive options. Both the assegai and the boar spear offer a lot of advantages. A survivalist will find a lot of uses for a lighter spear. It will allow you to silently dispatch snared or trapped animals without taking a chance of injury.

Also do you have any idea how freaking heavy a 15 foot pole 3 or 4 inches thick would be???

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Me, I'd go with the shorter spear, a spear with a blade on both ends, a spear with razor blades affixed outside of the handle area, a spear held with reinforced heavy-duty leather gloves. If someone attempts to grab my spear, I'm gonna rip it out of their hands -- and I do mean Rip! I'm gonna make them scream out to Satan to come take them to hell because this ancient daemon is infinitely more sick and sadistic than anything dwelling down in that chilly place. :mad:

And a spear can be used to fetch the enemy's intestines for hanging over one's front door cornice.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    posted by Texdanm,

Yup ..I got to thinking along similar lines and made these two purchases and put them aside..with one of my BOBS.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Assegai-Spear-Short/dp/B004YWK74E

And also this.... to be converted as needed...

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-B...sr=1-4&keywords=the+cold+steel+bushmans+knife

Agree...to silently dispatch snared or trapped animals. When first I began to trap these local raccoons in my foot traps...I discovered that this animal can have a very very severe attitude. One does not want to get too close to this animal without the proper tool to protect ones self. Usually I use a .22 short in one of my two Rossi Pump rifles....but am aware of the use of a spear if nothing else is available.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a short spear in one of our outdoor markets a couple of years, I think it was about £5, its not a throwing spear more of a stabbing spear.

8. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey lonewolf...a question for you..not on this topic per se.

You mentioned in another thread that you belonged to a UK prepper site. What is the name of that site please??

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If I implied or said such, I must have been hallucinating. I do not belong to any other survivalist site, here or oversees.

10. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    No problem Olde Geezer...that question was for Lonewolf...not for you.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Those cold steel bushman knives are GREAT. They are good knives and then are designed to become spears. I have both styles and the bowie style makes the better spear because the point in on the centerline of the handle. Other than that they are both probably the toughest and most dependable survival knives out there.

https://www.amazon.com/201052-Cold-...8608&sr=8-2&keywords=cold+steel+bushman+knife

The SK-5 steel is basically 1080 hi-carbon and is tough as nails with good edge holding capabilities. 1095 is a little harder and a better knife steel but 1080 is more flexible and less of a sword steel which would be in the 1060 class and takes a really nice spring temper. Since this is going to be used possibly as a spear the 1080 is probably close to the best choice.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmm...Texdanm....you got me to thinking...

I believe that Bushman bowie came on the market since I bought my first of the Bushman Knives/spear tips so long ago.

I can see what you mean by the design...and tip alignment to the centerline of the handle.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on that .

Watcherchris.