The Power Grid.

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by lonewolf, Sep 28, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    upload_2022-5-20_11-8-1.png

upload_2022-5-20_11-8-32.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK, so the Gaia-worshipers have several tools in their hands. One is to bring-down power-grids. Here's one of their articles:

"Shooting Transformers Disables Substations"

https://stopfossilfuels.org/electric-grid/shooting-transformers-disables-substations/

"Sabotage

"In May 2019, Stephen Plato McRae pled guilty to a 2016 attack on a Utah substation, in which he shot the radiator cooling fins of a transformer with his Springfield 30-40 rifle. The radiator leaked cooling oil into the holding basin designed to catch spills; without cooling oil, the transformer overheated and failed.1 The resulting power outage affected thousands of residents across two counties for over seven hours, with power only restored during the six to twelve month repair thanks to a mobile substation."

----------------------------------------

Interesting that the fellow used a 30-40 Krag. Fine caliber, that.

Hey, if it works, it works. Neat loading system on the Krag-Jorgenson.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=krag-jorgenson&t=newext&atb=v320-1&iax=images&ia=images

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the power grid-especially in the UK- is one of the more fragile energy systems, especially in a country like here where it is along cables stretched between pylons above ground, and sub stations are an obvious target, I seem to remember 2 guys in America firing at a sub station from the trunk of a car and they were successful in shutting it down.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/business/energy-crisis-inflation/index.html

"The world is grappling with gravity-defying energy price spikes on everything from gasoline and natural gas to coal. Some fear this may just be the beginning.

"Current and former energy officials tell CNN they worry that Russia's invasion of Ukraine in the wake of years of underinvestment in the energy sector have sent the world careening into a crisis that will rival or even exceed the oil crises of the 1970s and early 1980s.

"Unlike those infamous episodes, this one is not contained to oil.

"'Now we have an oil crisis, a gas crisis and an electricity crisis at the same time,' Fatih Birol, head of the International Energy Agency watchdog group, told Der Spiegel in an interview published this week. 'This energy crisis is much bigger than the oil crises of the 1970s and 1980s. And it will probably last longer.'

"The global economy has largely been able to withstand surging energy prices so far. But prices could continue to rise to unsustainable levels as Europe attempts to wean itself off Russian oil and, potentially, gas. Supply shortages could lead to some difficult choices in Europe, including rationing.

"Joe McMonigle, secretary general of the International Energy Forum, said he agrees with this depressing forecast from the IEA.

"'We have a serious problem around the world that I think policymakers are just waking up to. It's kind of a perfect storm,' McMonigle, whose group serves as a go-between for energy producing and consuming nations, told CNN in a phone interview.

"The extent of that perfect storm -- underinvestment, strong demand and supply disruptions from the war -- will have wide-reaching consequences, potentially threatening the economic recovery from Covid-19, exacerbating inflation, fueling social unrest and undermining efforts to save the planet from global warming.

"Birol warned of supply bottlenecks of gasoline and diesel, especially in Europe, as well as rationing of natural gas next winter in Europe.

"'It is a crisis for which the world is woefully unprepared,' said Robert McNally, who served as a top energy adviser to former US President George W. Bush.

"Not only are energy prices very high, but the reliability of the power grid is being challenged by extreme temperatures and severe drought. A US power grid regulator warned last month that parts of the country could face electricity shortages and even blackouts this summer.

"Russia retaliated against Western sanctions by restricting or even halting its shipment of natural gas to multiple European countries.

"The European Union announced plans this week to phase out 90% of Russian oil imports by the end of the year. That move has raised the specter of further retaliation from Russia.

"In March, the IEA also urged governments around the world to consider drastic steps to slash oil demand, including reducing speed limits on highways, working from home up to three days a week where possible and car-free Sundays in cities.

"And there's at least one other development that has been front-and-center lately and would ease the energy crisis: An economic recession, or at least one that's deep enough to cause demand to collapse."

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Power Companies Face Transformer Shortage Ahead Of Hurricanes And Wildfires"

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/p...ormer-shortage-ahead-hurricanes-and-wildfires

The rest of this post is a series of quotations from this article:

upload_2022-7-6_20-18-34.png

"Utilities across the country are getting dangerously low on overhead distribution transformers. Supply is lacking, and the shortfall could take two years to correct.

"'If we have successive days of 100-degree-heat, those pole-top transformers, they start popping like Rice Krispies, and we would not have the supply stack to replace them,' Izzo said.

"If wild weather from coast to coast wreaks havoc on power grids in the coming months, some utilities might find replacing transformers impossible because of limited supplies. "
    .----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Gzr: Witness the house of cards. "Oh look, it seems a gale does approach."

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes I have posted about this in the UK power grid many times.

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The hoi poloi here in the States just "don't get it". Cattle chewing their cud.

When the rolling blackouts arrive, they'll be angry, "Why didn't you tell us?!" Even though they've been told 10,000 times before.

Every time that something really negative occurs -- the things for which preppers prep -- the Amerikan sheeple scream.

The power grid has been at risk for at least 20 years. Now, without the ability to replace transformers, when the lights go out, the lights aren't going to be coming back on tomorrow, or the next day, or the next ...

In NY, NY the power went off in a rather limited area for approx 4 - 6 hrs. The NY mayor had a public hissy-fit.

Several "perfect storms" are headed America's way and you have all these zombies shuffling around on the railroad tracks mesmerized by their opiate phones. Here comes a freight-train ballin'th'jack down the line straight for them. They could get a news report on their Borg phones ... and still, they would stay put. "Hmmm, I wonder what this is about? Somebody will take care of it. Let's see if I have any new messages from Sally."

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    same thing over here, every time there is a winter storm and the cables come down, the sheeple start panicking and remarks about "its the middle ages" start to spread, I was brought up with power cuts, it was part of normal life, nowadays people cant live without electricity it powers everything they do from when they get up to when they go to bed, without electricity modern life just wouldnt exist.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Europe’s Winter of Discontent: Berlin Police Drawing Up Emergency Plans for Possible Energy Grid Collapse"

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...ency-plans-for-possible-energy-grid-collapse/

"Police in the German capital of Berlin are preparing emergency plans in anticipation of a possible collapse of the energy grid over the winter.

"The police force responsible for Berlin is currently drawing up emergency plans in the event of the city’s energy grid collapsing, with officers in Germany’s increasingly multicultural capital anticipating rioting and looting over the winter months if the worst should occur.

"Other officials across Germany have already warned of possible social unrest over the coming months as people are left unable to heat their homes, with bigwigs frequently using the country’s right-wing as a scapegoat for the existential energy problems the German state is now facing as a result of green agenda policies and the Ukraine war.

"Under the plans, separate preparations have been made to help police deal with public backlash resulting from raised prices and energy rationing, both of which officials reportedly now view as being likely.

"Contingency plans are also being established for the purpose of dealing with the entire energy grid in the city collapsing, with the police reportedly believing that this would result in both rioting and looting.

"Originating out of green agenda ideology that resulted in the country becoming almost totally reliant on Russian gas exports, Moscow’s decision to largely stop supplying the European market in the wake of Russo-Western sanctions war over Ukraine has left Germany in the lurch, with a number of officials in the country warning of societal unrest should people be left unable to properly heat their homes.

"Despite this dire situation, senior politicians have been extremely reticent to U-turn on the green agenda policies partially responsible for causing the energy crisis in the first place, with authorities still aiming to largely take out of service the country’s three remaining nuclear power stations this being likely to increase grid instability and further reduce energy independence."
    ---------------

Social unrest:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...st-possible-if-europe-sees-a-cold-winter-imf/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Of course, plans are also underway in the U.K.:

https://markets.businessinsider.com...organized-blackouts-power-cuts-uk-2022-8?op=1

> The UK government is planning for a worst-case scenario this winter that could involve planned blackouts, Bloomberg reported.
    > Cold weather could combine with natural gas shortages as the European energy crisis intensifies.
    > UK natural gas prices have soared over 130% year-to-date as Western sanctions on Russia lead to shortages.

"The British government is prepared to trigger emergency measures in January to conserve gas as electricity imports fall, according to Bloomberg. ...

"UK measures could include organized power cuts affecting both businesses and households to avoid potential gas shortfalls, Bloomberg said.

"UK natural gas prices have surged 130% this year, compared with a rise of 200% in benchmark European prices so. Benchmark power prices on the continent have hit record highs, rising by almost 300% since the start of 2022.

"'Rationing can't be ruled out in the colder months. This will impact everyone, but especially energy intensive industries like car makers, chemical companies and cryptocurrency mining,' Simon Tucker, global head of energy, utilities and resources at Infosys Consulting, said."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Uk rationing of power will not be a problem to me. This will p#ss lone wolf off ( ha ha) but the uk can pull the ladder up ( I know you hate that BigPaul) ‘cos I am alright Jack!. I am a PROPER UK survivalist. I have solar power, diesel generators - and a LOT of fuel and my house is wood / coal heated ; and boy , do I have some fuel- 3 years at least. Huge garden for food, along with rabbits and fowls.Don’t even ask what I have stashed. It’s I can catch fish easily and shoot game. Our American friends think we can’t get guns, but we can , very easily, as long as we are not convicts. Easy.

Brownbear likes this.
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Easy is when you can walk into a store, select your gun purchase and walk out with that firearm. Easy is when you see a firearm listed in the classified ad's and make a purchase without ANY government involvement. Easy is when you can buy any type of firearm, short of FULL automatic, and not be have your selection limited by the government.

Brownbear likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Precisely.

Almost all personal firearms transactions are between two people who often know each other. Even if they do not know each other, they live in the same community. Most of these transactions concern hunting rifles and shotguns. When I've bought or sold a firearm, I've been in the same world/culture as the other person. I've never sold a handgun to another person. I've never dealt with "assault rifles" except in high school where I was issued an M14 (at age 15; Sgt. Major kept the firing pins in our armory, but we re-militarized our rifles / put the pins back in for our Veterans Day rifle salute; the .22 target rifles we could check-out for when we practiced at the police range or at our local Army Reserve base).

I have no problem with the instant background checks. Thomas Jefferson said that no peaceful citizen should ever be denied the human right of being armed. Towns back then were often small and everybody knew everybody else. In this day and age, we witness the revolving-door prison "system" and the release of overtly psychotic patients from mental hospitals. Therefore if a gun dealer runs my name through a database to see if I've been convicted of a felony or confined to a mental treatment unit by a judge, I'm OK with that. I am NOT OK with the BATF going around and photographing gun shop records. I am NOT OK with a national gun registry. That is flagrantly anti- Second Amendment. I AM OK with state and national registries of felons and the severely mentally ill.

A government distrustful of its citizenry is an invalid government and should be dissolved.

Neither my friends nor I would ever sell a firearm to a dodgy individual. Or for that matter, anyone we don't already know. Southerners doesn't trust outsiders. This is also true in many other cultures.

Our Founding Fathers via the Constitution were establishing a government totally subservient to the people. State governments and local governments were supposed to handle matters within their environs. The federal government can't / shouldn't get involved in state, regional, nor local matters -- that's irrational and/or overtly evil. States send senators and congress folk to the U.S. capital to deal with matters that cross state lines or transcend state matters. State National Guard and Reserve units come together in the event of war. The Founding Fathers never wished a standing army to exist in times of peace.

Today's power grids cross state lines. The federal government should be repairing these fragile grids of ours and STOP trying to impose their secular belief system on the people. Political correctness/materialism has become the official religion of the USSA, a flagrantly anti-Constitutional demon and grounds for the federal gov. to be massively reduced in size with the lard being melted & poured off into a waste bucket. The concept of career politicians must be destroyed. All lawyers are "officers of the court", thus part of the Judicial Branch. Thus lawyers should be banned from being members of Congress.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    any power grid that travels above ground across open country is subject to any manner of problems, from winter storms upwards.
    we in Britain had scheduled power cuts back in the 70s due to the oil crisis I think, when I had power in the office the power was off at home, and vice versa, so something similar "could" happen this winter, I would expect power to be off in rural areas like this so the power could be kept on in the cities, we have supplies in hand so this wont affect us too much personally.

15. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Three words that would solve our problems...Nuclear Power Stations.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they take 10 years or more to build, Hinckley Point certainly has, so not a quick option.
    wont solve any problems this coming winter.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Never said it was a quick option, we should have been building them years ago so they need to get off their ass and start now.

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we should have but that was a political decision.

19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Extreme Cold May Trigger Power Blackouts Across New England"

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/extreme-cold-may-trigger-power-blackouts-across-new-england

"Last month we informed readers, "New England's Power Crisis Set To Return." Fast forward to today, as US Northeast temperatures steadily decline as heating demand increases, New England power producers warn grid strains are inevitable as natural gas supplies tighten.

"New England consists of six states in the US Northeast, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The region faces a power crisis every winter because its power grid relies on NatGas and lacks pipeline infrastructure for domestic flows. Over the years, NatGas pipeline infrastructure has been delayed, blocked, or abandoned, which means the region's power-grid operators have to compete in international markets for supplies.

"WSJ reported that power-grid operator, ISO New England Inc., warned a colder-than-normal winter "could strain the reliability of the grid and potentially result in the need for rolling blackouts to keep electricity supply and demand in balance."

"ISO New England's top executives said if power producers have to increase NatGas deliveries due to severe weather drawing down supplies, it would indicate they would be paying international spot-market purchases.

"One major problem is that power producers have limited NatGas storage facilities and lack pipeline capacity reserved mainly by utilities serving homes and businesses. Power producers procure a portion of supplies with fixed-price agreements and mostly rely on spot markets.

"New England had the bright idea to decommission coal, oil, and nuclear generators, leaving the grid exposed to NatGas. New England ISO figures show about 5,200 megawatts of that capacity have retired in the last decade.

"The region's power mix changes have left it increasingly reliant on international NatGas spot markets. State governors have asked US Energy Secretary Jennifer Graholm to waive the Jones Act and allow foreign-owned tankers to ship LNG from the US Gulf region.

"All of this has led to New England residents facing some of the highest electricity bills in years. Heating season is already underway. "
    ----------------------------------------

Preppers up there in New England who have wood stoves and cords of firewood stacked up can thumb their noses at the power companies. -- OldGzr
    -------------------------------------------

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Not to be provocative, just a simple observation - we don't tend to have mass shootings at schools in the UK. Could that ease of obtaining guns in the US be the difference?

lonewolf likes this.
  21. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    No offense taken, BB. The big difference between here and the U.k. is the mass media. They do every thing, just barely short of glorifying these mental / emotional losers. The media posts their names and complete life histories. They post their manifestos and highlight their troubled life histories. The media makes these losers famous and provides them with their moment of fame. The media highlights the weapons used, so the next loser knows what to shop for. Then add in the fact the liberal schools administrators refuse to harden the schools and provide adequate safe guards. Predators look for easy targets and the mass media does everything in it's power to point the way to the next soft target provided by the liberal school districts.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    Brownbear likes this.
  22. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks - an interesting and fair point. We do tend towards the opposite reaction in the UK, often we barely know the names of attackers until their court case and it tends to take quite a time for things to get to court in the UK so it is no longer "news" by the time they do.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      If our mass media followed the U.K. then I think these mass shooting would disappear.

TMT Tactical, Oct 19, 2022
      Brownbear likes this.
  23. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    They may well do - it is terribly sad to keep reading about mass shootings, they seem so very common these days. Anything that stops them would be a good thing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    talking of the power grid, reports say The Shetlands are cut off from any communications after the undersea cables were somehow damaged...Russian Submarine maybe??

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank God that this copy-cat behavior has yet to invade your country.

"Thailand attack: children killed in mass stabbing and shooting at preschool"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/06/thailand-shooting-attack-at-pre-school-centre

"Thirty-seven people have been killed, most of them young children, in an unprecedented gun and knife attack at a preschool centre in north-east Thailand that has horrified the country.

"Police said most of the children killed at the centre were stabbed to death. ..."

----------------------

https://www.asisonline.org/security...both-suspects-in-canadian-mass-stabbing-dead/

"Both suspects in a stabbing attack in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada, are dead. The stabbings left 10 people dead.

"Brothers Myles and Damien Sanderson were suspected of committing several stabbings in 13 different locations throughout the indigenous James Smith Cree Nation community and Weldon, a rural village nearby. Investigators have not yet determined a motive in the attacks, although they have said that while some of the victims were singled out, others were picked at random.
    ------------------------------------------------------

The mainstream media does not generally report on mass stabbings. Why? Because this does not fit with their civilian disarmament agenda. The socialist media needs mass killings where the perpetrator uses semiautomatic firearms. This is why the MSM spends tens of millions of dollars covering the manifestos and life histories of mass killers who use firearms to kill. The MSM needs more copy-cat killers -- especially when elections are coming-up. Big government rule must first disable the people from resisting. This is achieved by disarming them and rigging elections.

upload_2022-10-21_1-2-19.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    A list of attacks in countries that are not the UK - what is your point OG?

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sort America out first before you start critisizing other countries OG.

28. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think OG was attempting to point out it is not the weapon of choice but the the evil losers that are the cause of mass killings. Be it firearms, knives or vehicles, the evil people of this world will find a way to kill and main the innocent. Being prepared to defend yourself is better than any law passed by the government.

Brownbear and Old Geezer like this.
  29. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The social problem is that those people are not necessary evil, often they are desperate. If you look at the Hungerford shootings (in the UK back in the '80s), the shooter, Michael Ryan, was a loner that lived with his mother. It appears that he rowed with his mother, lost his self control and killed her. After that he went on a shooting spree killing many others before being surround by the police and then turning his gun on himself. I see that as an act of social aberration rather than evil. The guy clearly had no support network, had the means to kill through a firearms collection and once he had killed his mother he then had relatively little to lose in terms of justice - the sentence would have been life imprisonment either way. So, in summary, diminished responsibility and a lack of social conscience can be cited as the cause. The UK learned from that incident and very quickly tightened guns laws to restrict automatic weapons (Ryan used an assault rifle, which was a legally owned and registered weapon in the UK at that time). As a codicil the sad thing, and this is something that was referred to earlier in the thread, almost everyone knows Michael Ryan's name, but very few know the names of his victims. He gained notoriety through his actions.

So, I wonder are these killers evil? Some clearly are just plain malicious and are seeking notoriety - I would cite Columbine as an example of this, but others may be woefully misguided. Who knows, so often the shooters turn the gun on themselves or are shot dead by police, one can only guess at the underlying reasons.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a lot of shooting both here and in America mental health problems have been the cause, tighten up on people with mental health problems owning guns and you MAY be able to lessen the regularity of the shootings.

31. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Not to be provocative, just a simple observation - we don't tend to have mass shootings at schools in the UK. Could that ease of obtaining guns in the US be the difference?"

People in the US are different from people in the UK in some ways. My ancestors left and started life all over in a new world. This was in the fairly recent past compared to the history of Europe. I my families case we moved again and were in Texas while it was a part of Mexico. It entered into an agreement to join the US and paid for that pleasure. The Republic of Texas was a lot bigger then the state of Texas.

We then left the Union and fought another war then rejoined the US. My family fought in WW1 and then in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. In some ways I am about the first generation in a long time that didn't go to war. I think that it would be safe to say that people in the US are somewhat more pugnatious than those in Europe. What you have to understand is this influx of less than soft retiring people is still going on.

We were at war for most of the history of the US. If anyone had problems we were more than happy to go, fight, and die for them and their freedom...and then were hated for helping them in most cases. When I was a kid as a young man you had a few choices GO TO COLLEGE AND DONT GRADUATE was common. Blow off a big toe. I knew one tht did that. Enlist in the navy. At least they didn't have to wade in the mud and get shot at. Hide ot go to Canada. That wasn't ever an option for me. It was a sucky time. So many young American lives lost and in the end all for NOTHING!!!

I had a friend that changed his major 5 or 6 times and had a long college carreer. He got out after he got married and they had popped out a couple of draft eximptions. Don't think bad of him. He lost two brothers fighting for people that wouldn't fight for themselves. That was more than enough for one family. Some of the men that went to fight in that mess made it home physically but never came all the way home. I had a cousin like that.

We are VIOLENT. The good news is that when someone new pops up and decides to take over Europe we will AGAIN gladly come, fight and die for your freedom.

32. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Vulnerability of power grid

Easily knocked-out due to protests or any civil war scenario

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...-remains-unknown-authorities-said/ar-AA14TPT8

"Thousands of people are without electricity in North Carolina after an act of 'intentional vandalism' caused a mass blackout, officials said.

"Authorities said two power substations were knocked out after being shot at with firearms Saturday night, an incident that is under investigation as a 'criminal occurrence.' The substations were targeted, authorities said, but it remains unclear why.

"It left more than 40,000 electrical customers without power in Moore County on Sunday, according to outage data tracking site poweroutage.us, with temperatures expected to dip to near freezing overnight.

"The blackout began as a drag show was taking place in the town Southern Pines, which has been the target of a local right-wing group. Protesters, counterprotesters, and law enforcement gathered outside the venue on Saturday night, The Pilot reported.

"One of the group's founders posted a photo of the theater hosting the drag show after it lost power as well writing, 'the power is out in Moore County and I know why.' Moore County deputies interviewed her, and Sheriff Ronnie Fields said in a press conference on Sunday that 'it turned out to be nothing.'

"He added investigators are 'absolutely' looking into whether the outage had anything to do with protests of the drag show. So far they have not yet found evidence tying it to that, and investigators exploring 'every avenue that we possibly can.'"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The Power Grid is the weakest link in the resources of the UK, anything that goes across open ground on pylons is subject to all manner of threats from natural ones to man made ones. the power grid going down will be the final straw in the history of the human race and will be the final chapter in that history before everything shuts down and goes dark.

34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "California's grid faces collapse as leaders push renewables, electric vehicles, experts say"

https://headtopics.com/us/californi...wables-electric-vehicles-experts-say-35372624

"California's grid faces collapse as leaders push renewables, electric vehicles, experts say

"California's electric grid faces years of potential blackouts and failure as state leaders continue pushing aggressive measures to transition to renewable energy sources.

"Green energy developers and government officials often highlight total capacity of new renewable power projects, but fail to mention how much actual power the project is expected to produce.Solar panels, for example, produce just 25% and wind turbines produce 34% of their listed capacity, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA).California's last operating nuclear power plant could get a second lease on life.Coal, natural gas and nuclear power plants, meanwhile produce 49%, 54% and 93% of their listed capacity, respectively.At the urging of Gov.Solar panels are seen next to a Southern California Edison electricity station in Carson, California, on March 4, 2022.Gavin Newsom, owner Pacific Gas & Electric is taking steps it hopes will extend the operating licenses for the twin reactors, which now expire in 2024 and 2025.(REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson) "The only way the electrification of the transportation sector and of home heating and cooling can work is if the utility sector continues to build natural gas fired plants and looks to building nuclear plants and perhaps building new coal plants because the grid in these states that are pushing these policies is already overloaded," Ebell continued.Reviewing a request for an extended license typically takes two years or more."

"'Some of these places have renewable targets that are 2035, 2040 and 2045. That's not that's far in the future if you're talking about building a whole new energy infrastructure, which is essentially what we're talking about in California.' 'The truth of the matter is that in many places we've seen how the energy grid is already dangerously close to failing because we're not paying enough attention to sustaining the grid.This is going to result in blackouts.And we've already seen them.

"'The stories are tragic.' Thomas Catenacci is a politics writer for Fox News Digital."

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  35. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Watchdog Has Grim Winter Warning: There May Be Blackouts"

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-...im-Winter-Warning-There-May-Be-Blackouts.html

Begin quote

As much as two-thirds of the United States could experience blackouts in peak winter weather this and next year, the North American Reliability Corp has warned.

These warnings have become something of a routine for the regulatory agency lately. Earlier this year, NERC issued a blackout warning for some parts of the U.S. over the summer, citing extreme temperatures.

This latest warning also has to do with extreme temperatures. Yet it's not just the temperatures themselves that are the problem. It's the power generation mix that is making the grid more vulnerable.

In its latest assessment, NERC cited recent data showing that up to a fifth of generating capacity could be forced offline in case of a cold snap over areas that do not normally get this kind of weather.

The regulator points to the lack of gas transport infrastructure as one of the main challenges for the U.S. grid this winter as it compromises the security of generating fuel supply. The report also notes historical evidence that extreme winter weather can also affect the production of natural gas and, as a result, reinforce the effect of weather on power supply security.

It is not just natural gas that is problematic, however. The massive buildout of wind and solar capacity has also had an impact on electricity supply reliability and could turn into a problem during the winter.

The reason there are not enough gas pipelines is because opposition to new gas pipeline projects is so severe that getting a gas pipeline built has become an occurrence similar to a miracle. The chief executive of EQT recently told the FT in an interview that if it took a special legislative act to get a gas pipeline built that "should scare the hell out people". Rice was referring to the act of Congress that ensured the green light for the Mountain Valley Pipeline, which has faced a barrage of obstacles.

What NERC, for some reason, did not mention specifically is that severe cold affects more than just gas generation. It also affects wind power generation, not to mention solar power output. Wind turbines do not excel in severe winds or in wind drought that is common during the coldest months, and solar irradiation during those same months is far from optimal for solar panels, as are severe temperatures.

End quote

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    same could be said in the UK, we still havent got enough power stations although the solar farms seems to be increasing daily.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Don't get me started on "green renewables". Drives me insane.

Out of interest, what are you paying in the UK and US for electricity? Ours keeps going up and up. It's increased from 22.135 cents per KWH in May, to the current charge of 33.24 cents per KWH with GST (tax) added on top. I always tend to think our electricity is insanely expensive, yet don't have any idea on other country's cost, to compare it with.

38. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    personally wife and I are on a minimum tariff so its not too bad for us.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Do you know what they charge per kw there now?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not without digging out my last bill.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That's okay lonewolf. Just wondered if it was handy. I'll google and see if I can find out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it was quite high at one time and there was a cap put on what electric companies could charge but the price has since reduced.
    anyone that was paying the standard rate was an idiot, deals can be done thats why we were on a reduced tariff which keeps the price at a set level.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  43. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Apparently in the UK you are charged 27p per kWh.

I can't work out how to convert it into Aussie cents though. So am still none-the wiser.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not bothered about the price, I am more concerned at the power grid collapsing, we still dont have enough power stations and the only one being built for over a decade still isnt finished.
    maybe "concerned" is too strong a word, interested is more correct, I have lived without electricity for years in the past and will again, many people will be unable to.

45. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I was purely curious to see how Aus compares to other countries.

If the power grid collapses, a lot of people will be in a world of hurt. Whenever we have a power cut for maintenance, whereby it's off for 6 or so hours, I surprise myself as to how dependent I am to having electricity. No electrical appliances whatsoever and no water all day leads to me getting annoyed because it's off for so long. I would love to be off the grid and if I could afford it, I would.

Are there any threads about living without electricity? (i.e. have you posted any, which may have some tips and tricks?)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if we have a power cut it dosent matter much in the daytime and if its in the evening I just go to bed early and see if its still off in the morning, usually its back on.
    as for water, I have bottled water enough for a few days and I have water butts/barrels for the longer term.
    I have posted on other forums about living without power but British preppers are mostly short time events preppers and it gets ignored or ridiculed.
    being without power is mostly about having back up systems for water, heat, light and cooking and making these systems as simple as possible. they have to be self sufficient once SHTF as commercial systems will be inoperative after a short while.

47. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't want the grid to collapse, I won't be able to pay on my gameboy, make TikTok videos, charge my Tesla, take selfies, listen to Spotify, watch Love Island - oh hang on a minute I was having a (bad) dream. Yeah I can live without it :D:D

48. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    To start with, you will need pots / pans that can be used over an open fire. 2nd. you will need some way to either collect or store water or both. 3rd. You will need some way to purify water. 4th. You will need some form of waste disposal. 5th. You will need a method to store food. 6th. You will need to locate food (hunting, fishing, trapping, and foraging. 7th. You will need some way to heat your shelter. That is just the start to living off grid. I did not mention the need for interior lighting, once the sun goes down. I also did not mention shelter. There will a ton of issues to living off grid completely. All issues can be mitigated / resolved but not over night. It will take a lot of planning and some financial resources.

lonewolf and Blitz like this.
  49. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Shelter can mean your own home, it dosent always mean living in the bush, but to do that your house needs to be set up for living off grid, once the power grid goes down there will be no main services-water and sewage as well as electricity, gas too as over here the controls are electrically powered so it amounts to the same thing.
    most people over here post SHTF will freeze to death because their houses are not set up for living without electricity, new houses are all electric.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  50. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately for me, I'm too old and skint to set up living off grid. I personally think (if you can afford it and have the know how) going off grid is the way to go. Even if the world doesn't suffer an apocalyptic event, with the cost of electricity and other forms of power such as gas constantly skyrocketing, living off grid means you're not dependent on others for your power needs. At present, we're at the mercy of the energy companies, with very little competition. It really gets my goat.

TMT Tactical likes this.