The screams of a mountain lion

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:

As you can see, the screams of a mountain lion is eerily similar to that of a screaming woman, and I have read and heard countless stories of people camping in the wilderness, hearing the sound of a distressed woman, and going to see what it is all about. Then when they spot the mountain lion, it may be already too late, as an encounter with these beasts often end in fatal results. That's why when you hear sounds at night, it's best if you just forget you ever heard it, as the mind wanders and imagination becomes a lot more wild when you are out alone far from civilization. What do you guys think?

hades_leae and John Snort like this.
  2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    The first instinct when you hear someone scream is to go and help. But you have to be wary. Sometimes people can use screams to lure their targets out of their hiding place and in the wild a scream could mean someone has been attacked by some animal and helping that person might be too late.

Be more aware of your surroundings. It'll keep you alive.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If it sounded like a woman screaming, then I would have to go & check it out. Other sounds would depend on what they were.
    Keith.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not something i'm going to come across in the UK.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Probably not, though after the fall (IF it happens) you may find a few zoo animals wandering around. Big cats, other than ferals, are not native to Australia either, but there have been reports of them being seen out bush, & I am told that there is a special section of government wildlife set up to investigate these sightings. A close friend of mine said he is sure he saw a Panther when deer hunting not far from here.
    Big cats in the UK. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/big-cats-spotted-loose-small-7877805
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/348573/beasts-of-britain/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...als-slaughtered-mysterious-circumstances.html

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there has always been reports of "the beast of Bodmin Moor", suspected to be a big cat-possibly a panther- that was let loose when they brought in the licencing laws for "exotic" pets back in the 60s or 70s, many reports of sightings at a distance but no one seems to have seen one close up to identify it.
    like you say, there is always the chance of escapees from zoos post event, or even some misguided keeper letting them loose, but I think the numbers would still be small and would they survive after spending all those years in captivity?

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well from what I have seen in zoos, these big cats for the most part never lose the instinct to attack prey. Yes I think they would survive, but like we said earlier, probably more danger from feral dog packs.
    Keith.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most "WILD" animals will be long gone before most humans get anywhere near them.
    i'd be more concerned, like you say, about feral dog packs than a tiger or a lion.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hmmm, I wonder what would happen to the "lions of Longleat" if his lordship(and his staff) isn't around to feed them anymore?o_O

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I strongly suspect that animal loving staff would set them free at the first sign that they could no longer be looked after. Same with pets. Owners won't be able to put them down if they can't feed them & if they can't feed them then they will eventually go feed themselves. It happens all the time over here, people take them out bush & dump them. Mostly kittens.
    Keith.

11. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Most people tends to mistake cougars with panthera genus "Big cats" species, cougars belong to cat family, thus lacking the specialized larynx apparatus of a tiger, jaguar or lion, and for that reason they screech, growl, purr, hiss or whistle instead of roar. Also big cats are physically stronger than cougars, although cougar can grow as large as a Jaguar.

12. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is really helpful advice. Still common since would tell anyone if there's a woman screaming in the wilderness she's in danger, and you will be too if your not careful. If you have a weapon or fire arm it would make since to take it with you to check things out. If it is a screaming woman in danger you can save her with your weapon. If it's a mountain lion and you have your weapon this mistake may not cost you your life.

13. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have coyotes but not cougars. It almost sounds like a loud hawk vs. a woman screaming.

14. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It does sound like a woman's scream but if i know in my heart that it's a sound of trouble, I would run! I'm a scaredy cat by nature and really jumpy when I'm not at ease with my surroundings, i don't know, I would run as fast as i can without looking back.

15. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    After hearing that, I would never assume that was a woman screaming, it sounds nothing like a woman in distress either. That's just weird, you're a fool to go see what that was, don't let your mind trick you into thinking your going to be helping some beautiful woman who fell in a six foot trap, that's creepy in a way as well.

I can't imagine people who really would be curious enough to go see what that is, but I'm sure it's possible, and to end up getting attacked is not worth my interest in the wild.