"the Stockdale Paradox"

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Pragmatist, May 21, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Good article. This was taught during my military survival training (SERE course). It’s all about mindset and willpower to embrace and confront the suck.

Good quote from the article:

As Stockdale himself, said, “You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.”

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never expected much out of life. There was a stretch there in the middle that was sort of OK. But mostly, life has been an ongoing purgatory. Guess it could get worse, but I've always lived in the sh## having already hit the fan. God let's all of my family die or get horribly ill. I get to watch.

If it goes SHTF in my country and there are no cops to oppress, then maybe I'll get to come out and play a little while before I die.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Two book recommendations:
    > "Answer to Job" by Carl Jung
    > "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus

Camus' tome addresses how a person could best deal with the purposelessness of life.

Here's Stephan Farah's take on Jung's "Answer to Job":
    https://appliedjung.com/answer-to-job/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Good recommendations.

In our area of the fruited plain, it's verbotten ... at least by the Old Guard ... to say "purposeless of life". There is a purpose and that's to send in the tithes and gifts so to help the downtrodden, less administrative costs.

I'm not "religious" but do like Ernst Selllin's analysis of Hosea 7:7. Daniel Defoe, in his Robinson Carusoe, elaborated to a narrow readership.

What I view of all this can be summarized by the WWII atrocities; Insanity was not a major feature. They were calculated and enjoyed by the perpetrators.

TMT Tactical likes this.