The Stupidity Of Blindly Obeying Sat Navs!!!

Discussion in 'Safety' started by lonewolf, Aug 16, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Heh heh, not the smartest tool in the shed! & another mark against depending on modern technology.
    Keith.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Must have left his spectacles at home.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a problem all the time with delivery people that trust their GPS directions over my directions to my home. There is a road that is on google maps that does not and never has really existed. At one time a guy put a sign on the end of his driveway and somehow that ended up as a street. He moved and the "road" disapeared when the new owner fenced and put up a gate. This somehow made the directions wrong. The GPS will send the delivery drivers over the hills and through the woods rather than coming to my house directly and try to turn them down a road that doesn't exist.

5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    SIASD Trust but Verify. Open eyes wide open.

6. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes, GPS (Garmin in fact) goes completely NUTS! Was in Durham, NC today and the GPS kept trying to send us in the exact opposite direction we needed to go. Canceled it twice before the correct directions came up. I hate cities.

Dale

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I still use maps / make my own.

First thing I locate a regular map, paper or online. With the aid of satellite images I go 3-D and do a fly-over to see what things look like. I'll sometimes use Google to put the little man down on a road and take a look from ground level. I must see where I'm going. I must know North, E., W., and South. I must know how the mountain ranges lie. I do not like surprises. And I'll buy topographic maps. I always have a state atlas and gazetteer.

http://shop.milwaukeemap.com/north-carolina-atlas-gazetteer

Satellite navigation -- not for me.

Someone may give me directions; how nice. Not enough. I must know the big picture, the "lay of the land". I do not trust words. Show me. And yes I carry a compass. And I love that my SUV has a built-in compass and outside temperature reading.

At day's end today, according to the traffic condition map and radio news, I was trapped where I was working. B.S., I whipped out the maps and drove mightily out of my way. The route twisted through farmland and mountains and forests ... . Had anyone prone to motion sickness been with me, they would have developed projectile vomitus. But my drive was beautiful.

Just this morning, while descending a mountain, I witnessed a scene such as the following
    f40fa6aceaef8365a41cd3def65d6ad2.jpeg

When I had been ascending this mountain, I witnessed clouds literally spilling over a mountain range. The following photo doesn't even begin to do justice to what I was almost inside of. The range was huge and the clouds were huge and the clouds didn't look like clouds but like cream-topping that was 100 to 200 foot thick and utterly opaque. The vision was overwhelmingly beautiful and frightening. Had this been filmed and incorporated into a movie "as is" everyone would say that it looked too enormous and obviously the work of computer graphics. I was there and felt smaller than an ant. I was a blip. I was a nothingness.

f40fa6aceaef8365a41cd3def65d6ad2.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have sat nav and I wont have it, I have seen too many vehicles stuck down our narrow deep Devon lanes, a few years ago a woman drove through a deep river because her sat nav told her to! her husband, in the passenger seat, was swept away and drowned and she only survived because a guy put his own life at risk to drag her out of the flooded car. some people don't deserve to survive.

9. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    If your GPS road nav system wants you to drive over a field alarm bells should be ringing in your head?

Again another 'horror' story so popular with the gutter press. Lets be honest, millions of people use sat nav everyday and have no issues so don't ignore or dismiss this extremely useful bit of technology because some idiots leave common sense at home.

I'm playing with an app which could well be a life saver if your out lost on the road or the hills
    https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race
    UK emergency services are starting to use it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use paper maps and always will.

11. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Map and compass are a vital basic skill all outdoor folk should have but don't rely on them too much because thing change.

I've a collection of old and new OS maps, I love looking at the old ones but so many things have changed since their printing that I'd only use them for off road travel, hills and mountains tend to stay as they were, roads and towns don't.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends where you live I suppose, roads don't change much round here, government in Westminster aren't too interested in improving South west infrastructure, that's why we only have one rail line which often gets cut off.

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I come from that is called "Evolution in ACTION!" Should have let her drown...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use Google Earth for recon but paper maps to navigate. Google Earth has saved me many, many driving hours to look at prospective property. I was interesting in one property, high point on a mountainside, looked real good, UNTIL I looked on the other side of the mountain. There was a main road there. That would have been my blind side. Tech has it's uses and limitation. Just don't depend on tech.

duke in wales likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    tech is useful, like buying stuff off ebay and not having to make a long journey into a city to buy stuff, with petrol prices and cost of parking and then getting to the store and finding they haven't got my size! besides it keeps the local post woman in work and she is a local.
    but tech will collapse during SHTF like we saw in the recent black out, in a societal collapse it will be out permanently and those computers and smart phones just wont work, even in the Boston Bombings I think mobile phones were useless.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    The net will go down without doubt but your tech equipment still has uses. Looking at my phone and even without the internet or mobile phone signal it still has

Off line UK maps
    Contact list of names and addresses including wholesalers
    A little over 200 books
    A little over 500 songs
    Some favorite films
    Some games like Chess and Backgammon
    And more

All I need to keep this little device running is a small solar charger designed for camping.

PCs, Laptops and Tablets are the same but have a lot more storage, I've got around 20TB of films and books stored which can be run from a not too expensive solar setup and I have a lot of back up drives stashed away.

So don't think all your tech stuff will have no value if things go breast shaped because they are actually vital tools.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not relying for my survival on whats on a mobile phone, in any case not all of us have a phone that's takes all these stupid "apps" things, mine dosent even take photos, just phone calls...emergency use only, stays in my pocket from month to month(I don't make phone calls).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    LW, your cutting off your nose to spite your face. Pick up a used smart phone off ebay, something like an old Samsung S3 or the bigger screened Note 3. I presume you have a wireless router to connect to the net so your phone can go straight online.

Nobody is going to rely on their hi tech gizzmos if it hits the fan but you need to look at them as simply another TOOL. Embrace technology chap. I've battery powered (solar) trail cams which are useful, my extensive home alarm system has battery backup...these are tools of real value.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope, I don't need it and I don't want it.
    to paraphrase The Magnificient Seven (when TSHTF) "i'll just throw it in the water barrel and ride away"!!:p

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    In fact you do need it, your just too stuborn to admit it. I'll send you one to play with if you want.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's the trouble with people who rely on technology, they think everyone else needs it as well.
    wife's got a nephew like that, a real techno nerd, thank goodness he lives far enough away or we'd get "lectured" about tech stuff all the time.
    I've got as much tech as I want or need, an old laptop and an even older basic Nokia phone.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess we can strike compassion off your list of attributes and add delusions of grandeur ... thinks he is God and knows who deserves to survive.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Another aspect of high tech gadgets. Applicable to low tech ones also.

On some evacuations and many emergency responses, I'd never take off my gloves.

Industry has recognized that an office gadget placed in the field does have other "human factors engineering" requirements and it's being addressed. As of today, not there yet.

I've got a couple of high tech items but must treat like a heliograph; can't be used at all times.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    damn right, I've got no compassion for a stupid person or persons.
    i'm certainly not putting myself at risk post SHTF trying to safe some person from their own stupidity.
    your last remark is nonsensical as you know I am a pagan and don't believe in any god.

TMT Tactical likes this.