The Toilet Paper Is All Used Up

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Feb 28, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    The toilet paper is all used up and no chance of resupply (TEOWAWKI) What now?

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Morgan101 like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    tissues, cloths, sponges, large plant leaves.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I put aside all old clothes that are of a suitable material. The idea is to cut them up into pieces and use as "toilet paper" once the real stuff is all used up. So rather unpleasant but used cloths would get put in a container, then washed and boiled to sanitize, dried ready to be reused.
    One could also buy cloth reusable baby diapers now to be cut up and used as toilet paper.

I am going to leave the large plant leaves for Lonewolf!

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we used to use large "dock" leaves as a child when taken short.

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and randyt like this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a wild plant that has been featured on this site several times on " pop ups " as a plant good for that usage . I have searched around a " little " for the name of that plant but so far have not found it . If I find it I will add it to this post . Fortunately for me I have a good bit of it growing on my property . It has large fuzzy soft leaves that grow on a spike like stalk and will get about 6 feet high . This is a good time of the year to post this thread because some might like to do as I and spare this plant when doing weed and grass control and encourage it to prosper . Honestly I have never given it a field try out but it sure looks and feels like it would do a fairly good job . I found the name of the plant " MULLEIN " They actually sell seeds for this plant mainly for preppers wanting to grow toliet paper at --- www.mountainroseherbs.com

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Radar, TMT Tactical, randyt and 2 others like this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    what about when the water mains and the electric grid go down?
    the simple ways are usually the best and are more sustainable when TSHTF.

8. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I just have visions of those fuzzy soft leaves having first come into contact with poison oak or some other unpleasant plant before coming into contact with sensitive human body parts. There are just some places a girl does not need a rash thank you :D

So it's great knowledge to have but not at the top of my personal list lol

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

When water mains and the electricity end service, recommend a tub of mosquito repellent and a baton to slash at infected bats.

What many do not understand is that a broken sewer system in the city means the mosquitoes and flies are merely travel time away. Days to weeks later the lethal infections start here in my rural area BOP.

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety

10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If it comes to it my first choice will be some type of bidet apparatus. Second choice will be rags or adult diapers that can be washed and reused. For those that would choose the more natural approach here is a link. I did investigate the Mullein plant, but I don't believe it will grow in my area.

https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/plant-leaves-as-toilet-paper/

Radar, TMT Tactical, randyt and 3 others like this.
  11. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I figured this out a long time ago. toilet paper will not exist when it happens , what i have done to to keep all my old newspapers , I have two large cardboard boxes filled. this will not work
    with a water toilet but will be just fine with an outhouse like i have.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the human race has been around a lot longer than toilet paper has existed and they managed quite well so will we. lack of TP is not my top priority.

13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Old phone books would also be a good thing to save, but we don't get them anymore.

TMT Tactical, randyt and Caribou like this.
  14. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oooohhhhhhhh…..Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Help me Mr. Wizard.....Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know what to do without Toilet Paper.....Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

The Sky is falling Mr Wizard......Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Blitz, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  15. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm partial to sphagnum moss, it grows in my area in abundance. I can imagine in a TEOTWAWKI things are going to get messy, new eating habits and all.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  16. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Love it. I was just imagining the conversation when I started putting old phone books in the bathroom and again when the bucket of moss appeared. :rolleyes:

Radar, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  17. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    lets not forget a$$ rags....

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  18. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Definitely use old cloth material, and just like when I had my children, set up a suitable, and hygienic washing system. I used cloth diapers with three children, and I can say from experience, if you don't have a good system in place, it can get real sh&%#y real fast! ;) - but once an efficient system is in place, it runs smooth.

Side note: I had a friend that accidentally used stinging nettle leaves to wipe with... As far as I know, he never, EVER ,did that again!!!!

randyt, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  19. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    YES YES YES! It's fuzzy leaves are actually quite soft, and it grows very hardily in most growing zones. It is also very prolific, like a weed! It tolerates over-saturation of gravel, and the fierce sun. it has about a 100 day growth from seed to flower (obviously the usage of its leaves as toilet paper happens well before this harvest time!), and it is biennial, so it lasts a long time and keeps producing lots of soft, usable leaves.
    Side Notes:
    • It is also a very useful herb to have for medicinal reasons, traditionally used to maintain healthy pulmonary systems, including moistening mucous membranes and as a soothing agent to support healthy throats, bronchi and lungs.
    • It can be used as a dye plant for colors ranging from yellow to grey.
    • Harvesting the seeds from mullein is very very easy, and , chances are, there is a plant near you on the side of the road somewhere!
    8d518498aabaf7383d380c08f3c7fb4b.jpeg 8d518498aabaf7383d380c08f3c7fb4b.jpeg 8d518498aabaf7383d380c08f3c7fb4b.jpeg

21. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Once upon a time, it was the Sears & Roebuck catalog that served in the crapper. Nowadays all the magazines have slick pages. It's a conspiracy!!!!!

22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    People used to use corn cobs. Don't want those cobs to dry-out too much -- just sayin'.

randyt, TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.
    1. Blitz
      What a waste of good food! The imagination has just gone into overdrive but I won't go there!

Blitz, Apr 4, 2020
  23. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can scoot on the grass ... just don't let the neighbors see you. You'll never live it down, dog-boy.

Morgan101, randyt, howler and 2 others like this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    this topic is getting ridiculous, as if the human race cant manage without toilet paper, if people cant do without this simple thing I don't give them much chance of surviving a serious SHTF.
    which is why I have never thought the survival rate will be that high, in the UK anyway.

1. Blitz
      Certainly not given the state of the NHS!

Blitz, Apr 4, 2020
  25. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

Interesting that you mentioned sphaghum moss.

It is one of nature's best absorbents.

Was a candidate to replace cotton but US women didn't accept it for pad replacement. Don't know the history.

26. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Not to belabor this topic ......

For those fully civilized and having pri 1 concerns, in case SHTF and related (Repeat: and related),...

For advanced level Prepper work, there is always Congresswoman Iihen Abdullah Omer's (Minn, 5 CD) "Benjamins"to serve as a substitute product.

Dispose of properly.

watcherchris, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  27. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:

I like old sayings, that's where the old saying rough as a cob comes from, I'm sure of it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

I installed one of these for a lady out in the country...they have a generator and a well.

https://www.amazon.com/Biffy-UNIVER...qid=1582662986&sprefix=bidet,aps,159&sr=8-229

I have two myself I will be installing soon....

We shall see how this goes....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The photo of the toothbrush-like bidet that mounts on the toilet rim looks to me like something a drunk could put-out his eye with during a "worshiping at the porcelain thrown" spew.

In this episode of "Emergency Ophthalmology; the Eyes Have It", we hear Doctor Glass ask his patient, "Und ver vas it zat you zay you poked your eye?! My ears zay tell me you zaid ze toilet bowl. Dat cannot be true, or you ist blind to begin with. Ze toilet bowl ist var too large to be mistaken for eye cup! Und how could it make your eye so bleed?! Impozzible!"

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  32. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  33. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  34. Idwanderer

Idwanderer Well-Known Member
      93/115

Blog Posts:
  35. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    One of the great joys of living where I do is that our water supply needs no power beyond gravity and we're on private drainage. Washing our arses once a day after visiting the toilet could become the highlight of the day.

howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. Wags

Wags Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Excuse me Sir, would you have a square to spare?