The very basic essentials for a dried food stash

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Damorale, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If you had to make a short shopping list of the ten most basic essentials for a dried food stash, which items would you choose? Assuming that the person was starting off with a completely empty inventory.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    peas, beans, corn, lentils, porridge oats, brown rice, popcorn, sunflower seeds. This is if you are purchasing from a supermarket. If you are growing your own foods, then you can add to this. All fruits & veg can be dried, & all meats except Bear & Pig (not safe to just dry) can be dried.
    Keith.

Damorale likes this.
  3. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    A good place to get beans and rice is a warehouse. You can get a huge bag that will last a good while. I am going to do this when I go back to Sam's Club and store it in my basement. I have been storing up water too. Each month I go I am picking up two cases.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One thing I have not seen since I was a kid, dry goods stores. I used to go to our local dry goods store for my pea shooter ammo. I used to absolutely love the smell of that store, sacks & sacks of dry foods & you could purchase in any quantity. I wonder why they don't appear to exist anymore? Probably the lack of need. After the 2nd world war the need was great, but gradually living improved & supplies were easier to get. A shame they died out. We would still use them in preference to a supermarket.
    Keith.

5. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about dried food stores, but I live about five minutes away from a Chinese food wholesaler that serves a lot of the local takeaways and such. I love the smell of that place too, and buying things in bulk. They can do bags of rice or noodles that are as big as a sack of potatoes! You can get all sorts of dried foods there, flavoured noodles, canned vegetables and meats, etc. I might have to go there tomorrow now that I'm thinking about it.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Living in Japan means I practically live off of dehydrated vegetables and other foods. The grocery store aisles are lined with dried onion, tofu, mushrooms, fish and crayfish, beans, legumes, seaweed, vegetables (leafy greens and other types) and starches. Of course, there's the usual oats, rice and fruit too. Seems pretty easy to start up a stash here.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post, thank you. This sort of wholesaler never occurred to me. I doubt that we have one in New England, but there may be one in the larger cities. Well worth knowing about.
    [​IMG]
    Keith

Damorale likes this.
  8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Excluding canned goods, I would settle for grains and fish. I cannot think of dried meat because it may not palatable to us. But in fairness to dried meat, they can be used as ingredients for vegetable dishes. With grains, I am safe. First is rice that can be cooked into porridge. Poor people in the rural area cook porridge with salt as the only other ingredient. Porridge would taste delicious when cooked with chicken or pork or even beef. Next grain is beans, the read or green mung beans that lasts for months. Mung beans are also easy to grow so when left with mung beans during a crisis, you can use for seeds some of those mung beans to you can have a harvest 3 months after.

With dried fish, we have the experience of storing dried fish for more than 3 months. And the storage life of dried fish is longer when the weather is cool that's why we keep it in the vegetable section of our fridge. Small fish lasts longer than big fish when dried.

Deeishere likes this.
  9. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    What an interesting concept Corzhens. I have not heard of rice being converted to porridge. Is porridge like oatmeal? The time I really think about porridge is from the story, Three Little Bears. lIH5xJk9fAOE-EWIK0gD0lI1_4iWD9E8.gif lIH5xJk9fAOE-EWIK0gD0lI1_4iWD9E8.gif lIH5xJk9fAOE-EWIK0gD0lI1_4iWD9E8.gif Where can you buy the mung beans? I know my husband wants to plant some vegetables soon. I definitely want to tell him about the mung beans. Can those grow any time of the year?