The War Time Farm.

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by Keith H., Jul 12, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

Just the first three episodes to give you some idea of the series content. I found this very interesting, brought back a lot of memories for me, but regardless of the country you are living in, I think you will find this series well worth watching.
    Keith.

Duncan, Caribou, Radar and 3 others like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Good videos. I had previously watched on YT but was good reminder. Thanks for posting Keith.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Adding this to my list of videos to watch!

Thank you!

Radar, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Watched these over the weekend and finished last one just know. I found this very interesting. To be honest, as a Yank I had a time with some of the words and names of items I had to look up. Like sweedes? WTH... oh a rutabaga...LOL Interesting though in a lot of the resourcefulness of the farmers. Also a bit surprising how the government just ruled completely over their lives. Like if you don't farm how we say, we'll take your private property. Cull these animals, don't plant that, etc... Oh I have no misgivings that our handlers on this side of the pond would do the some. Heck I guess so far as our interment camps go they did just that and worse to our citizens. Also not much of a surprise that some govt bureaucrat who likely didn't know much if anything about farming would tell the farmers what and where to plant regardless if it was a good place. I wonder how many millions of tons of foods were lost or that never produced because of that. Conversely, if the War AG had listened to the farmers on what to plant and where, how much food might have been produced. Also the idea of destroying all the animals. Guess that backfired as they lost the ability to put manure/ dung back into the fields to fertilize.

Those various booklets of info and ideas and recipes would be an awesome treasure trove. I wonder if there are pdf's of them anywhere out there on the web.

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Downloads available here: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/hist...story/download-your-free-wartime-farm-booklet
    Keith.

6. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Keith. I signed up for it so see what they email. I think this is just a guide to the show but maybe it'll have further info. I sort of hoped there might be links or info in the description on the YouTube video but no such luck.

Duncan, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Watched that a couple years or more ago, it was great. Some the same people made another, shorter, series about living in the 1300's or 1400's.

8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That's right, they have a variety of series from different periods. Tales from green valley I believe was an early one.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Tales from the Green Valley", available on youtube, is how I imagine life will be like for the survivors post TEOTWAWKI, no supply chain, no major manufacturing, if you want something done you have to do it yourself.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    these videos are from the early 17th century or around 1620 or so.
    i'm not sure if post TEOTWAWKI we will revert to that era but it will certainly be pre the industrial revolution which started around the early to mid 1700's in England ,so only 100 years or less difference and probably not a whole lot of difference in the way things were done.
    everything was done on a local level up to then.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That's right, not a lot of changes in that period 1600-1700 as far as the way things were done. Even equipment wise there was a lot of 17th century items still in use mid 18th century.
    Keith.

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Farming without the use of draft animals would be real difficult. Since modern agriculture has virtually eliminated draft animal, there will be a major food production drop off. Dropping back to 1700, 1800 life styles will also require 1700 - 1800 population levels.

Radar likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are very few draft animals left in England, some are kept for ploughing exhibitions but that's it. I am told you cannot use saddle horses for draught purposes, you'd probably wear them out fast if you tried to plough with them.
    the population of UK just prior to 1750 was about 6 million and I expect post TEOTWAWKI it will be that again.
    "farming" or agricultural post event will be Subsistence Growing, as much or as little as the labour force you have allows and as much or as little land as you can control.
    back in the middle ages in England we had what were called "Leper strips", these were long narrow strips of land on which each family had a small dwelling and maybe a house cow or a pig and grew all their own food. these strips can still be seen, just, in some places.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess another advantage of living where I do is that there are work horses everywhere around me due to the heavy amount of Amish and Mennonites that still live like it's the late 1800's. It is awesome to see the huge draught horses pulling a plow. But even the Amish rely a lot on modern equipment despite their claims. Like they'll pull a hay bailer that has steel wheels by a horse but that has a gas motor on it to power the unit. They rely on a lot of propane powered lights and other items. Their dairy farms often have propane powered chill tanks for their milk or some have small solar panels for various equipment or even use solar fence chargers for dividing up their pasture for feeding.

Amish also have many horses they use to pull buggy's and wagons that are their main mode of transport. I think the biggest thing post SHTF might be protecting them, even against their wishes. They are all pacifists so likely would put up no fight and would be prime picking for the ruthless to just go thru and pillage food and supplies and destroy stuff they have no clue to the importance of. Most likely they would stand by and do nothing and even try to keep others from violence on their behalf.

16. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Mules are also useful for farming.
    There are draught horse breeders who aren't necessarily serving only Amish or Mennonite.
    Most farm fairs or 4H Fairs will have the large horses, either on display or pulling something, or competitions. They're pretty amazing creatures.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    As you say Radar, and I did overlook them, many of those around us also use mules. It seems the draught horses are used for the very heavy loads and work.

18. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Here's one for you Keith if you missed it

Other series were made going up and including WW2

Keith H. likes this.
  19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks duke, appreciated.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Great series, along withTales From Th3 Green Valley, Tudor Farm and Victorian Farm. All worthwhile, but we binge watched them over a couple of days so became a little repetitive, so we recommend that people NOT do it that way. Learned something from all of them

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the US during WW2 it was called a Victory Garden.
    0b41ee78a7bfcb5af194a6d914218636.gif 0b41ee78a7bfcb5af194a6d914218636.jpeg

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was going to post what you just posted, TxDan -- victory garden stuff. Just love these posters. Great art and inspiration.

Draft animals. My uncle could walk by stepping from body to body across a field, WWII. But there were also a bunch of dead animals. Their artillery and supplies were brought forward by German draft animals. Motorized vehicles and trains were NOT a given. My uncle was at times a forward observer calling in artillery and mortars over his head -- heaven only knows how many humans he killed, but he also got a lot of very strong animals killed. Never asked him if he'd ever machine-gunned an ox. He cut a lot of people in half.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  24. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Tex Dan and Old Geezer,

Great pictures !

I remember the term "victory garden" as per my post-war memory.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Over and done with by the time I came along but I love those War Posters and the national unity and pride they projected. Thanks for posting them.

26. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
  27. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just when I was becoming a bit arrogant in my preparedness level , I meet someone that makes my survival acreage look amateurish . Yesterday I went to another preppers acreage to buy another milk goat Billy . That guy is actually a bit famous in this part of the United States but I wasn't expecting his survival level to be to the scale I found it . Notably he and I are around the same age " old " but both of us are in very good physical shape . I contribute some of that antiaging , on as we both stay very active working on our prepper sites . For me it was new , as he was growing potatoes under leaves instead of dirt and using cardboard to layer his strawberries and increase earthworms . He said some lady that writes gardening articles for some type of publication comes to his site and help him plan his garden strategy . -- I told my wife on my return " that guy won't be starving to death " .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    check out "Wartime Farm" on youtube.

TMT Tactical likes this.