There Is A Massive Lie In This Whole Survival Planning Discussion.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Jun 28, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    What is the single biggest lie in this whole prepping for survival area......???? What is the fatal subject that no one wants to discuss....??? Regardless of age, sex, color, national origin, education, political affiliation, etc..

What is the single most discussing word that is also the most avoided word on "ALL" survival forums and blogs.......????

What is the one thing that hardly anyone practices for SHTF survival.......???

What is the one thing that most people have zero experience with....????

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    In a survival group........what skill will be the most critical......???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    The most critical skill? I can't say there is only one. If I had to choose only one it would be situational awareness.

Steve-0, coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You have a fairly good size group..........any of them have that skill......????

coffee, TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Ah ha !

I have this skill. I can open an emergency shelter with a conjugal visiting section.

In theory, can also do this in an igloo but always had doubts about a single candle or whale oil lamp keeping the place warm.

Please break the riddle !

6. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a group at all yet. That is why I am going to GA's house lol

7. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    The best way to stay warm in an igloo is with a willing Eskimo woman ;)

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    What did America import by the tens of thousands to build the Hover Dam and the Railroads.....????

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    People on forums brag about all of their skills.......but never this critical skill. They can shoot sub-MOA groups, build fires 631 different ways, but they never talk about their ability to do this.....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Kill other humans.

11. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    HARD Manual Labor. 14 hours of HARD Manual Labor. 16 hours of HARD Manual Labor.

I wonder if even one in a thousand Americans could operate a spade nosed shovel for a 1/2 hour..........before begging to be shot.

Really look around, who do you see that is going to do the Hard Manual Labor 12 or 14 hours a day. I think we have built ourselves a fantasy post SHTF existence. Really just look around.........Most peoples idea of hard work is meowing the lawn on a riding mower.

Kind'a makes you wonder what someone could be planning.......that they figure they might be smart to have a few hundred thousand labors coming into the country from Africa and South America.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Did you know that during the WW-II the people of China moved a huge mountain to build a road. And after the war, they disassembled the road and re-built the mountain. And they did it all be hand, with buckets and shovels, and picks, and carts, and wheelbarrows, etc..

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The extinction of all life on earth through climate change & our inability to stabilize climate change at its present level.
    baee2395ab12a9ed5bd36e47862c3855.jpeg baee2395ab12a9ed5bd36e47862c3855.jpeg baee2395ab12a9ed5bd36e47862c3855.jpeg
    Keith.

elkhound likes this.
  14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well.......I have stayed out of this whole climate change discussions on this forum. But I'll tell you what, I have been an adult in Alaska for only a very few months shy of 50 years. The climate today is nowhere near what it was 50 years ago.

For the last several decades we have set record after record month after month, year after year for record high temperatures, and that is winter and summer. 91 degrees today. As the perma-frost tundra thaws it releases stored methane gas.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Keith H. likes this.
  15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is easier to see when you actually live with it!
    Keith.

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The biggest lie that nearly all preppers tell, even to themselves, is that they are prepared to deal with the massive deaths of not just strangers but also their family and friends. I don't think that there really is any way to be prepared for that. You are just going to have to try and survive it and not lose your humanity or desire to continue to live. Even after things settle down the deaths will continue as PTSD and survivors guilt will ravage the survivors.

17. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    This topic is too deep for me.....

I'm still trying to figure out ....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

18. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    You see? Even lawnmowers have an aversion to labor these days. And they are complaining about it...

Meow!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    All kidding aside, labor is a dirty word anymore.

With each generation passing through the age of technology, labor is becoming a thing of disdain. Good old-fashioned sweat is bad. Life of ease is good.

But after a hard societal reset, people will do what they must do to survive. Because many will miss the easy days, I predict slavery /domination will raise its ugly head more than ever in human history.

20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Considering the current obesity rate, the lack of exercise ( I am in this category) and the lack of skills in the new generations, there are going to be a huge number that die from exhaustion. if you don't know how to rig a block and tackle, heavy loads are going to be real physically demanding. Even the simple log cabin construction is going to be too difficult for the current electronic generation.

21. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME,

Is not manual labor inherent in mentioning work gloves ? HARD manual labor ? .. filling sandbags ? .. repairing a washed out road ? .. In our contemporary times, the major preparedness is to survive biologicals, whether natural or non-natural.

We've got 2 basic scenarios: 1. Shelter in place and 2. Evacuate. Unskilled labor from Africa and South America ? ... The origin locations allows for establishing they're not healthy - if I may be blunt. The actuaries' charts will show that imported manual labor can't produce much hard manual labor.

I have 8-tract film of WWII Chinese doing "terrace farming" excavations for military projects eg building airfields. Many of those in this labor force did not survive the project. Minimal food and water bouncing against disease in already unhealthy bodies was common.

Keith,

How can climate change be stabilized ? India and China use much coal. Small national populations in these nations might be a desirable aspect from their perspectives.

A MAJOR global benefit of climate change ... I'm referring to global warming here ... is the new "Northern Route" a/k/a/ the "Northeast Passage" water route from Russia's northern ports to China for the grain trade. China won't be buying the Thunder Bay - Kansas City grains when Russian cargoes are much cheaper. The opposite of this newly pending grain trade is radiation sickness.

Does Carl Sagan expect the Atlantic Alliance to confront Russia, China, India - and Pakistan ?!

22. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Haha, by now you have a pretty good idea of what you would be getting into. Don't forget...(cricket gumbo is the password).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Morgan101, coffee and Sonofliberty like this.
  23. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the one subject most people cant handle?...………….death i.e. non survival.

TMT Tactical and coffee like this.
  24. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    ibme...i dont totally agree or disagree with your statement...but..but all situations are not the same....lol...sorry i couldnt help myself...why would i be interested in moving a mtn post shtf?...lol....its easier to walk around or over it.

i have seen several writings discussing old books/journals from 1600-1700's in europe and it talked about being a peasant and how much the winter was dreaded because of the darkness and cold and raining days.it talked about how they didnt do much work at all all winter.

sitting in the dark or close to dark 18 hours in winter nightly is enough to drive folks crazy..literally. but any how about to get side tracked about dark of winter.

i dont have a link to references i am talking about but towsends on youtube has done a few readings on several books he has reprinted talking about lots of stuff 'back in the day' they are not survival books per say but they have lots of clues about life pre industrial revolution.

the key to success is pace yaself on the labor and dont be stupid about it...i.e. doing stuff in the hottest part of day....there will be times you gotta do what ya gotta do..but working smarter is a must.

scott nearing cut his firewood by hand till his death at 100 years old. he used a bow saw. i seen several pictures of wood he was cutting and it was small diameter woods.he wasnt cutting down large trees and cutting it up and splitting lots of large blocks....in my opinion this is where a rocket type stove need small wood and less is a winner. also a coppiced wood lot shines for this. as we age we can still hand cut small woods for our daily needs.

have ya infrastructure in place now !!

i been practicing shtf a lot this year to toughen up more.i been using garden fork in garden a lot.i still use tiller but i breaking 'hard pan' in growing rows and turning it deep since its been awhile since i plowed this ground.

blah blah blah blah...my just rambling on is all.

coffee and Sonofliberty like this.
  25. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    over looked items...head sweatbands,sunglasses with string holder thingy,various types of work gloves and a chair in a shady spot for breaks...lol

this nuclear sun we have now is super bright to me...i wearing sunglasses more than ever these days.

also good garden tools...many have faulty design...i.e. 4 prong garden fork is rounded shoulders.it needs to be level and wider to fit a big foot like i have on it. i seen a guy modified his with welded angle iron on it.makes it more like a shovel so you can get more surface contact to shove it in the ground easier.

coffee likes this.
  26. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    the roots on this garlic went through topsoil all the way to clay subsoil so i had to pop each one loose.had to bury fork to the hilt. i will be starting on potatoes this week. i could use tractor but i want to exercise and character building experience...lol

overflowing bucket of garlic

DSC00393.JPG

done pretty nice this year.cloves are large.

DSC00389.JPG

a years worth of garlic drying and next years 'seed' stock for planting this fall.

DSC00400.JPG

27. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

I like ease and relaxation....I like a good nap.

I "Love " my lazy boy.....greatly.

But I know I cannot stay there...

I hate cutting grass and yard work..but I hate paying someone else to do it even more.

Without being too crude...

I love coming to a woman's warm breast....and the heart which pumps between them....

But I know I cannot stay there....once in awhile I have to man up....even to step out there with no safety net under me.

If you are going to be a man in this world be prepared..mentally and physically...and yes..even spiritually...... to put away the remote controller and lazy boy and step out there...no safety net.

As a man...you learn and try very hard ...not to blink...when you are out there.

In a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI....we will all labor to survive or we will not survive. What ever it takes....we adapt or we do not survive. A television or movie education in emotions will not suffice here. No drama queens need apply ...male nor female.

Labor saving devices are common sense.....and a result of a free people enjoying their liberties and freedoms...to think and produce...even to produce labor saving devices. What are some of you thinking here???

Non Labor saving devices are a result of a non free people....a herded people..not able to enjoy the fruits of their labors and or thinking processes.

Non labor saving devices are the result of the environment controlling us....not us controlling certain aspects of our environment. And this includes the whore of politics...for those who understand the deeper meaning here.

I've worked 15/16 hour days for weeks at a time....it takes something out of you after short awhile. So too does 12 hour days for months at a time....seven days a week. You become numb....like running on auto pilot. A machine...a automaton.

Given a choice..I no longer work 12 hour days...or nights if you prefer...most of it was 6pm to 6am....I am not a daywalker here.

I also do not work 15/16 hour days....I leave that to the younger folks who need the money...who have children tugging at their britches. I've been there myself...and understand.

Elkhound....

Nice crop you have there. Thanks for the photos.

TMT Tactical....

Thanks for reminding me...

I need to purchase a couple more Come along's and put them away....I'd forgotten this until reading your post. Loaned mine out and never got them back. Gotta stop doing that.
    Need to put it on my list. Thanks.

I was trained to rig loads in this shipyard.....work chainfalls..and cranes too. This knowledge does not stay in my locker when I put up my hard hat but comes home to work for me around the house....save on labor...and on risk too...very important....reducing risk. Learned how to tie certain knots as well.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a country where 2 out of every 3 people are obese and Diabetis is increasing at a fast rate and people don't walk when they can drive and manual labour is for the few not the many, skills are confined to computer work, and the general population is 4 generations removed from the land and most don't even know where their food comes from(" the supermarket dude, duh!!") I expect the mortality rate post SHTF to be high, very high.

29. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    agree...lonewolf..agree.

Not much we can do about it...

In SHTF or TEOTWAWKI...you labor...take risks....or you perish...and your seed with you.

Getting ready to take some risks here today..

Bought some 500 rounds of .40 caliber bullets for reloading later today out in my garage.

Have some 350 rounds to reload. Not so much physical..but attention to certain details can be critical. Often precise measurements...weights as well as dimensional.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not much I WANT to do about it, post SHTF only those with the necessary skills and knowledge will survive, and so it should be. I have always said that as the technology age progresses people are getting "dumb and dumber".

31. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    There is an article out today stating that by 2030, twenty million jobs will be lost by humans, and performed by robots.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  32. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone remember the end of the movie, 2001 Space Odyssey.....???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Wow!!!

IMBE....this may be difficult for many to comprehend in todays television and or movie educated public.

But we do not want movies or television to do our thinking for us.

We do not like to use television or movies as examples of life..

We prefer more of real life knowledge, thinking , or experience.

I cannot begin to count the number of people I know for when you ask them a question requiring real thinking or contemplation....they refer to a movie or television program they have watched.
    They have no real knowledge or experience of their own...only second hand lives lived through movies and television.

I watch movies...watch television too...

My problem is finding something worth while to watch....movies the same thing. Most of it to me is a type of flatulence.

I know precisely what both 2001 and 2010 are..and for whom they are intended...and they give a message to certain initiates under oath....who know exactly what is the black block with specific dimension.
    And now I also know what is Stanley Kubrick as well as Arthur C. Clark.??
    Budget unlimited in those days to tell this narrative...to certain of the audience.

I have known this for many many years now.

Be Warned...

Amuse.......Amusement.

A=without..

Muse=thinking..

Without thinking...Amuse....Amusement.

Something fed to us to prevent thinking.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Reloaded 150 rounds of .40 S&W ammo with 180 grain flat point bullets.

Have another 150 .40 S&W cases sized, primed, and ready for powder and bullets....taking a break...to reduce my risks...of getting careless out there.

A tall glass of apple juice on the rocks.

IMBE....

Does this imply the planned obsolescence of humans??? Think this through carefully.

Do you know what some are saying about the fires a couple of years ago in Paradise, California and also in Alberta , Canada and what is being implied about them????

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite.

35. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Half an hour? I would be fine. I often use my shovel much longer than that when building a campsite. 14 hours of shoveling??????/ Let me go lay down somewhere lol

coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

LOL LOL LOL ...agree Sonofliberty.

Some years back I purchased a large weight of gravel/crush and run to spread out in my driveway....via shovel....

What was I thinking??? I'm not 25 years olde...and my back/spine is no where near as strong or flexible as in those days.

I have a lot of rough miles on this olde chassis.

Finally pulled my head out of my backside and bought one of those small dozer type blades to attach to the 42 inch Crafstman riding mower in my garage. Ran me about 300 bucks but it sure saved a lot of wear and tear on this olde worn out chassis and got the job done in no time.

I'm getting too olde for a lot of hard shoveling now days. When I can I try to think smarter...not harder. Shoveling is hard work....indeed!!!

Don't miss the 300 bucks at all.!!

I love my Lazy Boy!!!! Remote controller too!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishamelite

37. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:

Yeppers, you lost me TOTALLY on that one. I don't pay much atentionto anything that comes out of Hollywood though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Tend to agree TexDanm...I am thinking about canceling my Cable TV here and figuring out how to get computer television on my not so big screen.
    I have this one package deal ...computer...land line and cable television. Thinking about getting rid of the cable television..and maybe even the land line...and stick with cell phone.

Problem is so many channels and not much worth watching on there..I spend more time surfing for something worth watching and avoiding commericals...it becomes frustrating...to watch even cable television.

Hollywood is become a severe disappointment to me..a huge let down.

I don't need those people to tell me what to believe or not believe..what to buy or not to buy and certainly how to vote.
    As far as I am concerned ...they can hit the bricks. If I want Bravo Sierra I go to work ..at least I am on the clock when someone tries to BS me.

Oh...before I forget....in 2001 and 2010...the big black Block ..is right out of Albert Pike and others...if one knows.

The ratio 1x4x9

The smooth black block...the smooth ashlar.

In the end..the big black block begets thousands of other black blocks..ratio 1x4x9...all smooth.

But you have to know more than the Kardashians...NASCAR, even ESPN to catch it.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  39. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have not had a TV'thingie or Radio in over 20 years. No TV reception here, and Radio is bad reception.......No Cell Phone reception either.

poltiregist likes this.
  40. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Gee and people wonder why I am so opposed to immigration. 2o million out of work, no jobs,no skills and no prospects except welfare. Why in the world would we want to open our borders and let in more people that will be on the welfare roles. How may working people does it take to support 20 million unemployed?

coffee, watcherchris and Sonofliberty like this.
  41. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Read Amendment 13 of the Constitution of the United States....very important.....if one understands certain histories.

What is already come here to the United States is a continual condition of servitude...wherein one group of Americans is being required to subsidize the lives of others..gratis.

This was accelerated of recent with Obama Care.....some being required to pay twice or more for health care to keep others in health care for free.

Now we have uber intelligences working to get health care for free on the public purse in California and none of our leadership is telling the public what it really is....bondage...slavery ..involuntary servitude to pay for it..
    People working to pay for their families and also working to pay for someone else...so they get it for free..

You have to be educated in the system to become so stupid that we do not see it for what it is ..bondage...slavery ..involuntary servitude.
    This is also and at the same time....."unlimited government" the very system the founders were trying to prevent.

Perhaps now many of us can understand why history is such an poorly taught subject in public schools...we are never to be able, on our own, to connect these dots into such an picture to recognize involuntary servitude or slavery as it happens to us.

Not only that..but Remember ...the Republican party is totally silent when this is happening to us....they are not conservatives but instead...part of the problem and scam....they are in fact...democrat lite.

The Republicans cannot possibly be that stupid...can they...not to recognize it as bondage or involuntary servitude...economic slavery.???

With Illegal Immigration we are being required to subsidize the world......and all it's problems and issues...gratis.....for free....while putting ourselves and our nation into second , third, and fourth place while taking risks in our labors for first place.

Exactly what is happening in Europe and the UK.....second third and fourth place in their own countries. Bondage, involuntary servitude, slavery to pay for this....

My Non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

42. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    "watcherchris"
    The further you are deeper into the wilderness the less all of that has any impact on my life.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  43. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL...not deep enough for you to get away from this computer....

My long range HF antenna is 500 feet of 12 gauge wire from Lowes....strung around this property into the tops of the trees.

With this home made antenna I can pick up AM radio...short wave as well as the Ham Bands. I am sure I can tune it to the UHF/VHF television bands if need be...as I have also such an UHF/VHF tuner.

Your business...but were I up there I would have just such and variation of this antenna...and tuners..for both long and short wave reception and transmission.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  44. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I get Phone/Internet by Microwave.

When I lived on Lake Clark in Western Alaska, people relayed messages using, Marine CB radios. It was flat enough that, news would be relayed from King Salmon, where there was/is a military base.

50 years ago people in the Alaska bush go messages read over the AM radio for all to hear. There was "Caribou Klatter" and a different station had "Tundra Chatter" and there was "Bush Pipeline". In the airplanes we had Hi-freak radios. We had a long wire we hand un-reeled out the tail of the bush plane, then reeled it in when done. If you forgot to reel it in before you landed it got torn off on land, or the trees if you were shortfield landing.

45. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen such an set up out the back of a C130 aircraft. A reel in reel out long wire antenna. Altitude is key with most antennas for better efficiency and more range. This antenna had some kind of cone on the end of it to give it drag when it was reeled in and out.

If I need more range on my VHF/UHF walkie talkie at work.....I take it to the top of our building some 85 feet in the air.

Or.......I put a sizable body of water between me and the station with which I am trying to communicate. Water carries a signal good distance with fewer losses than over land.

Were I out there in the bush...I would have me a ham radio set up with some kind of solar charger. Deep Cells if possible..and this kind of long wire antenna...for the HF bands.

At those distances SSB transmissions would be the best recourse...or failing that ..
    Morse Code.

I would expect that the northern lights can play havoc with the radio frequencies.

That is where Morse Code comes in...when conditions are tough.

Thanks,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  46. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have zero interest in Transmitting. I have five multi band portable receivers. I am interested in knowing what happened.....what is happening...........what-what-what. I would have zero to transmit that would be of value to anyone. I just want to hide, and stay hidden. Transmitting would or could pose a risk for me.

47. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Nothing says you have to transmit...agree about transmitting...and risk.

This antenna will also help significantly your reception ..particularly if tuned via a good tuner.

I don't know if you are aware of it...but under certain conditions a receiver can be located as well......without any transmission on the part of the receiving station.

This is how in many countries unauthorized...untaxed radio receivers are found...and confiscated..owners fined and or jailed.

I don t think you need worry so much about that in the west...but more ...GPS and satellite surveillance...linked to computers ..phones and internet.

Free ...no cover charge..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  48. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all these places will be picked clean long before 12 months are up. if someone leaves it that long they will have missed the boat, just make very sure the owners are no longer around first.

TMT Tactical likes this.