This Brought Me Tremendous Joy Today

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by iamawriter, Jun 28, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    001.JPG

We had bought a piece of yam from the market. It had a tiny projection which I knew was the place from where plants emerge. I slowly sliced off that tiny bit and placed it in soil in a plastic bag.
    I did not think it would start getting life and getting life it did. It is now almost a month. It did not let me down. The plant has grown to a height of about 8 inches.
    I shall now transplant it in a large pot and hope by next year I will get a full yam.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Pardon me for this comment but the plant in the white plastic doesn't look like yam. We used to have yam in the garden and it's a vine. Your yam looks more like arrow root. But anyway, please update us when it grows and bears a tuber.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well done!
    Keith.

iamawriter likes this.
  4. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    There are six hundred types of yam. Even sweet potatoes come under this category. The yam I am talking about is a tuber that we need to dig out just like the sweet potato

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Yam

5. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    congrats. I know that kind of feeling. I've experienced it once when I was a kid. Will follow this thread and please do update us on how it wound-up

iamawriter likes this.
  6. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I will keep you posted the day I dig up the yam which I am sure will grow. That will take a year:) Gardeners have this opportunity to enjoy these little moments every single day. It is these little things that make my day