This Is My Rifle

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by randyt, Sep 8, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking earlier today how things have changed. Back when I was 14 year old, I took my rifle to school for show and tell. I got up in front of class with it and held it up and said this is my rifle. Other kids had theirs too.
    times sure have changed

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh sh*t yes!!! Imagine trying to do that now!!!:eek:
    66ba98ad3b0d6c387d718c9f0fed9657.jpeg
    Keith.

3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Always suspected those sister were lethal. Yes, sadly time have change and not for the better.

4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I had those nuns in school for eight years; a terrifying existence. They beat grammar into me, and I can still diagram a sentence. Not so sure some of them weren't men hiding under there.

If there is a merciful God these will be the seven virgins waiting for the terrorists when they get there.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a little kid my best friend went to a Catholic School. He got to the point that he would just freak out if one of the Sisters got anywhere close to him. Finally one day his Mama came to pick him up from kindergarten and couldn't find him. When she did he was in a garbage can crying where one of those mean bitches had put him. And that was the end of that.

I carried a gun on the gunrack in my truck to school and wore a buck 110 buck knife on my belt. Back then it was common for the lady teachers to borrow a pocket knife from a boy to open boxes. It was just assumed that a boy always had a pocket knife in their pocket from the time that they were about 8 years old on.

Caribou, Dalewick, randyt and 3 others like this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    We went from gun racks to safe spaces, sad, very sad.

7. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm like many here. Gunrack in the rear glass and squirrel or deer hunting after school. After hunting season I checked traps until march and season end and no one ever said a word.

randyt, Your label for this did remind me of something from basic training.

This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for killing, one is for fun.
    Learned quickly to NEVER refer to a rifle or machinegun as a gun, EVER again. LOL!

Dale

8. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    for sure, I never call a firearm a gun, well almost never.

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Jon Sophic

Jon Sophic Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I was a freshman in high school in 1995. This was in Hawaii. I was in Army JROTC and we had a nice rifle range and an arms storage depot with hundreds of Korean War era weapons and lots of ammunition. Firearms training was conducted on the range various times throughout the week. There were no incidents and no injuries. Shots were heard ringing out over the whole school campus. Again, there were no issues. No snowflakes ran for a "safe space". We had enough arms and ammo to defend the campus in a hypothetical actual military ground attack.

As part of the JROTC rifle team, I was selected for a statewide shooting competition at the Schofield Barracks military base. I, like a couple of hundred others, was issued a full auto M16 and ordered to keep it on select fire. I followed my instructions. I fired expert that day by military standards at the age of 14. Out of hundreds of students, with hundreds of full auto M16s, there were ZERO incidents.

This all being said, I wouldn't trust today's high school students with a butter knife.

Caribou, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      I was stationed at Schofield Barracks from 83' to 86" in Light Infantry and special operations (Recon). I can remember JROTC coming out to the ranges every now and then. I wonder if they still have JROTC come out to the ranges.

Dale

Dalewick, Apr 18, 2020
      Caribou likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Subtract more than two decades from 95 and that's me. Had a retired battalion Sgt.Major on me for three years (he was in-country Korea and Vietnam on multiple deployments, Army Intel). At age 15, I was issued an M14 and a .22 target rifle. One was expected to grow up quickly ... especially if you were from the wrong side of the tracks. Southern Appalachia = body-bags and medals.

Jon Sophic, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was in the gun business for a lot of years and always found the quibbling about the words used to be annoying. Rifles, pistols, revolvers, and shotguns ARE guns. A revolver is a handgun and even though most people call them pistols they are actually not. A magazine is where you store ammunition and a clip is something that holds ammunition that is inserted in a gun. All bullshi+ As long as everyone understands what you are talking about the language is fine with me. I think that people that play this game are just trying to impress someone with their expertise and knowledge but those that actually do know their business are not impressed. Guns and Firearms are interchangeable words for all practical usage. A Rifle is a long-gun. a pistol or revolver is a hand-gun. As I understand it a revolver isn't technically a pistol because the cartridge is detonated outside of the chamber. ???

Caribou, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    for sure, when someone came into my gunshop and asked for a 30 round banana clip for their ak, I knew what they wanted.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I always figured the rule for magazine/clip was, give a hard time to your buddies and let it pass for strangers.

14. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm 21 years old so I have no memory of a greater time. I'm glad to be of a different variety though. I have a co-worker, and after telling him I don't watch a lot of television (once per week when my favorite show comes on), I rarely watch movies, I don't carry my cell phone around with me (unless I'm going somewhere by myself) and I don't play video games (again, rarely), he was dumbfounded and asked me "What do you do?" Funny how addiction to electronics is seen as the only possible form of entertainment to some people.

15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The old war dog who was in the middle of my teenage years burned "gun" out of my head for a lifetime. Artillery pieces, now there's a man some guns to raze buildings 8 klicks away.

I assure that my gig line is straight before going out to garden.

Half century later, Sgt.Major, long dead, is there when I'm sighting in a rife.

16. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Much of this thread is about evolving language and words.

As recently as the 1950's, "clip" and "magazine" (other definition of magazine is specialized type of storage shelter) were not standardized. Later, the M-1 Grand used a "clip" and the newer M-14 used a "magazine". Believe Randy mentioned the famous "banana clip".

Even "bullet", "projectile", "cartridge", "casing" didn't get standardized until "recently".

In the Chinese language, ... it's graphic somewhat like German ... a carbine is actually translated to be a "horse rifle". Think of cavalry but not dragoons. In Chinese, the word, if I remember correctly, for "hand gun" was used for both pistols and revolvers.

I don't know about the new stuff other than having heard the term "Laser AK-47".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The way I define it the clip feeds the magazine and the magazine feeds the chamber. An enblock clip feeds the magazine where it stays till empty. I rarely correct people unless I am training them or, as previously mentioned, giving a buddy a hard time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

Ain't that the truth. I graduated in 2000 and was in JROTC. But we never got to use guns as part of the LET curriculum. The school wasn't set up for that I guess.

Caribou, Jon Sophic and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    clip? wait you mean charger? lol

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  20. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    ammo clip I think it refers to.

21. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    it's a clip for lets say for a 03 springfield but it's called a charger for a SMLE. Different continents. Don't know if the Brits still call it a charger but they at use to.

22. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not my area of expertise:D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. BSHJ

BSHJ Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Do those who have such difficulty with the various terms make their online purchases based on same? I mean, if a vendor uses the term "Magazines" and you think it should be called something else, do you pass on that vendor? Just curious about how far some take it. (Also reminds me of the argument about Potato vs Potatoe)

24. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmmm….you guys got me to wondering..,..,

I have five round stripper clips for my 1903 Springfield....but have never..used them...and tend to load each round by hand..

Now I am wondering if the same stripper clips would work on my .308 Ishapore Enfield......seems like they would.!!

I don't remember....do they make like...10 round stripper clips for the M14...that may be a better way to go for the .308 Enfield...???

Like both rifles very much but think the Springfield is more accurate..

The Enfield is a noticeably heavier rifle..

My Non Ishmaelite .02
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Chris I don't remember the M14 having stripper clip guides built into the receiver but it has been a long time since I qualified on one. There are stripper clips that fit the .308. Those clips would also fit the 30-06 and other rounds of that family. You would then need an adaptor to load the removable magazine outside of the gun.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  26. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I think I failed to mention, when I took my rifle to school, I took it on the school bus. In case and all.

Caribou likes this.
  27. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Carabou...

It has been a long time since I've handled an M1A rifle...the civilian version of theh M14. But as I remember there is a stripper clip guide in the receiver wherein the magazine can be reloaded from stripper clips without removing it from the rifle.

I also believe there is a stripper clip guide/adapter used on the magazines when they are removed from the rifle. This similar to the Guide/adapter used for reloading the M16 magazines from stripper clips

Always admired the M1A rifle...but they are a lot of monies...same with the FN/LAR rifle...in .308.

Oh....went across town today to mail some letters and go to the store...
    Passed by a local gun store and there were people hanging about outside the door....they too appear to be doing social distancing ...limiting how many people can go in.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've some great specimens of "obsolete" bolt actions. I have bandoleers of ammo on clips. I love my Enfields. I like the Mosins. I only have 98s because my uncle brought one home from WWII. Fine rifle, don't get me wrong; has FN 7.62NATO barrel, min.of angle, w_home-rolled or one brand of target ammo that I stock. Turn and look at me from 100yrd, point to which eye through which you prefer I send the round.

Preppers need to encourage our younger members to possess and perfect very accurate long range rifles. Such are the workhorses of Patriots. Unless a semi-auto is fully accurate, it means little. Patriots need full-horse power and mind-numbing accuracy. Anti-Constitutionalists, the enemies of God and Liberty, need to live in raw, soul-annihilating, terror.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=british+e...i=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhjUrqH88s

The Enfield holds ten rounds in its magazine, i.e. two stripper clips worth of ammo.

One can forward-mount a scope on a rifle that uses top-loading stripper clips. The rifle is now handy, accurate, and easily reloaded. The wood furniture on an Enfield going almost all the way up to the front sight keeps you from frying your hand on a red-hot barrel. If out of ammo and having to use the bayonet, be sure to stab the enemy in the groin or the anus, because they could be wearing a vest. This causes unimaginable bleeding, plus disabling agony. They become disoriented.

29. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You got me to remembering three items....one of which I will have to test to find out if It will work.

I need to find out if .308 cases can be loaded into a 7.62 x 39mm stripper clip for an SKS rifle...then if so see if it can work in my Ishapore Enfield. I should have thought this through some time ago...and verified.

I have in the rifle case with my Enfield Rifle...the pattern 1917 bayonet for it and it fit s on the rifle.

Also stuck in there is a Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife I obtained some time back. It is a nasty looking knife...

Don't really have much use for it versus a good fixed blade carbon steel knife.. ..hence I stuck it in with the Enfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn–Sykes_fighting_knife

Have about 60 cases of once fired .308 cases to reload here this weekend.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

30. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    If they take the same shell holder they will probably work with the same stripper clip.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    When I read the title of this thread, I was about to post a picture, but as it turn out this wasn't that kind of thread

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Was out in my garage today ...reloading spent shells which had accumulated for a few months.

I reloaded 13 rounds of .41 Magnum pistol ammo...

22 rounds of 30.06 with 150 grain Hornady SST spire point bullets in .308 diameter.

14 rounds of .308 Winchester with the same 150 grain Hornady SST spire points. in .308 diameter.

Have about 100 rounds of 9mm to reload...though I do not own a 9mm...but out of bullets. Will have to get some of these.

Also about 150 rounds of .38 Special yet to reload from my tumbler.

Last time I was at Bass Pro...there was a significant run on Ammo..and also reloading supplies. Have not been back since. Will have to check it out or go to my alternate source across the river..

Need to cut my grass today....am running out of excuses to get this done....it is getting very tall now.
    I have all this power gear and still hate cutting grass..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.