Thoughts on Sharing Prepping Tips On Social Media?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    We all use social media for different reasons. Many people I know have their real life friends and acquaintances who know where they live as connections on social media.

So I'm thinking sharing prepping tips on social media could tip everyone off that you are a prepper and when SHTF they'll know where to find you and demand that you help them if they weren't prepared for any emergency.

What do you think? Is sharing prepping tips on social media unwise?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    sharing anything on social media like Facebook etc. is asking for trouble especially if as a prepper you want to keep a low profile, remember OPSEC.

John Snort likes this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I came off FB about 4 years ago, its so boring!!

4. John Snort

92/93

Blog Posts:
    So I suppose if you want to be helpful but still don't want to alert anyone that you are a survivalist, you could create a fake social media account and share whatever you want with the world and your friends.

That way should anything happen if they didn't learn a few things from what you shared, when they are starving to death in a cardboard tent, they can blame themselves for whatever happened to them.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    instead spend your time on a proper survival forum like this one!
    people on facebook aren't survivalists and never will be, their fate is in their own hands, if they were serious they would look for the information themselves not rely on others to provide it for them.

John Snort likes this.
  6. John Snort

92/93

Blog Posts:
    Maybe they are just short-sighted. Few have seen or been in war. Few have faced starvation or an imminent food shortage. And save for the 2008 financial crisis none have come close to seeing what a total collapse would be like. I guess some don't even know that they might have to fight for their survival anytime ignoring the fact that emergencies can happen at the most unexpected at times, at any time and at any place.

Oh and come to think of it, some know they may need this knowledge but don't bother trying to get it because they are sure the government will come save them.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's the whole point John, people are so wedded into the system they cannot ever see that same system collapsing, so they don't bother, that's the definition of what some of us call a "Sheeple".

John Snort likes this.
  8. John Snort

92/93

Blog Posts:
    I wonder though, are all these post-apocalyptic movies trying to teach all these people something but think of them only as entertainment? Once they are done watching it's hey, that's never gonna happen while I'm still alive.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not even that, 5 minutes after the closing credits they've forgotten anything that might have been useful, peoples attention span is very limited.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    lets face it, when the collapse comes we cant save everybody.

11. John Snort

92/93

Blog Posts:
    It could help if survival was taught in schools. There's lots of stuff kids learn that will never be useful in life but survival skills which they could find useful at any time aren't taught. This lack of knowledge could help thin the world's population — something the elite has always wanted. So there's that too.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it would be helpful but don't hold your breath.

13. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I share what i know lol good luck findin us lol

14. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to Facebook, my family have a group that we post things in that we only want each other to know. In fact, most of us only use Facebook to be part of the group. If it came to an emergency and my family weren't prepared, I wouldn't think twice about doing what I could to help them. Old friends from school and colleagues from old jobs, I'm not as concerned about. So if I ever see a life tip of any kind that I think I would like to share with the people I'm close with, I just put it in that group.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think FACEBOOK is the place for prepping tips, if people are serious they will come to sites like this one, if they aren't they wont.
    having said that, wife's page on FB is only open to people she nominates, strangers cant see it, so maybe something like that, but it would tend to limit the numbers.

16. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't share any prepping information on social media at all. Not only that, the only people who know I am a prepper are other preppers. I would never tell anyone who isn't that I am - that's just asking for trouble, if something were to happen, I don't want people showing up on the doorstep.

Grog_of_California likes this.
  17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think sharing your ideas & suggestions is fine, it is a form of entertainment & people enjoy getting feedback to their posts. Letting people know where you live is NOT okay, & definitely NOT recommended.
    Keith.

John Snort likes this.
  18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You want to share? There are social media icons at the bottom of the board. Click on those & you can share & promote this forum at the same time.
    Keith.

19. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, I dont care much about OPSEC these days. Our goverment just sent out a pamflet to all households in the country asking them to make a 72-hour box and what to put in it. So now we are all prepared, or atleast should be, to some extent. Smart move.
    It's kind of nice actually and has info on purifying water and some tricks I hadn't thought of acctually. Like putting pet-bottles with water in empty crevaces in the freezer to help keep it cold if the power goes out and for extra drinking water.

Keith H. likes this.
  20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one.
    Keith.

21. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes it is great to have a stock of supplies water food but why go short term we stock and hold for a couple of growing seasons. Water isnt it better to have a sorce that is perament over a few jugs or barrels long term survival after shtf meansbeing ready now bydoing the work now when whatever happens you will be inbetter shape than the idiots to stupid or lazy to do the work DO IT NOW NOT AT THE OMG POINT

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't do facebook, tweet, twitter or send up smoke signals. I like to share and will to anyone with interest but just don't like the idea of inane social connections with people that I don't know.

23. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is it not more than a trifle pathetic that Big Brother has to tell people to put back 72 hours worth of provisions! One purchases more than 3-days supply each time going to a grocery store to purchase this'n'thats. I've got more than that in one drawer of a cabinet in my office at work.

24. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For decades I worked in peoples homes and it is amazing how many people basically live hand to mouth as far as food. I think it is in part that a lot of people these days eat out or bring home something most nights. Nearly nobody under the age of about 50 uses their over except for frozen pizzas and around the holidays.

When both people in a household work there just isn't much time for cooking other than pop it in the microwave stuff. Unfortunately for these people the food that they will buy and stock for a 72 hour supply is probably going to be frozen foods and things that they won't have a way to cook in a power outage. LOL, I had a neighbor one time that tried to feed a family of four with a propane torch heating a cast iron skillet.

People these days don't seem to be able to think things out anymore. If you want to eat you need something to cook on and frozen food isn't the best stuff to have. Now days a lot of the ovens, even on gas stoves, has electric controls and ignitors. I probably could go a couple of months without a grocery run. I'm not real worried about food.

25. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree with lone wolf social media is tailor made to share pictures of your birthday, voting on your favorite movie of the week and crying about how unfair life is.
    people on these are mostly trying to escape the daily grind its ment for fun most don't find getting ready for a crisis fun that's what a place like this is for.
    People that enjoy getting ready for anything they can and like the feeling that comes with knowing your alot more prepared would find forums like this on there own.

26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know a young guy that used to brag that he had hundreds of friends on facebook, twitter and such. Sadly he doesn't have many fleshy friends and relationships with ladies online are just not what I would want and didn't want when I was in my mid 20s. It is actually hard to even have a conversation with him because his phone notifies him any time anyone farts online anywhere and he grabs it like it is a life preserver to a drowning man. The ladies aren't going to put up with that sort of thing and he can't figure out why most only go out with him once or twice. So sad, he's actually a nice young man but is a true example of his generation. He told me one time that he was a crack shot. I knew that he didn't have any guns, didn't hunt and neither did his Dad. It turned out that his expertise was based on his rating and score on some video game. I KID YOU NOT!!
    I loathe texting. If you want something from me call and talk to me. I ignore texts.

27. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm kind of one of those young people but I'm glad too say even if I like my life in the city I would be willing and able to leave it even permanently if necessary.

28. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I never took out any of those social media accounts. Some baser instinct way back when these social media accounts came out
    ..My Space...I think it was in the early days....told me not to take one out. That they were primarily a way of keeping track of people and their lives...cataloging people....herding them.

Not for me thanks.

Never was the Social Butterfly type.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

lonewolf likes this.
  29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is my social media right here. Is this social media? This is about as social as I get online.