Time.

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by lonewolf, Nov 29, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    was reading a post on another site about time pieces post collapse, many clocks are electric these days and most watches have batteries which wear out, my basic watch has a battery that is guaranteed for 2 years but normally lasts at least double that but eventually they will all run down.
    locally we have a church clock that is mechanical and that will last for many years-as long as there is someone to wind it up on a regular basis, it marks the quarter hours and chimes on the hours.
    in the long run I'm not too concerned about time, my basic post apocalypse life style will be to get up around dawn and to go to bed when it gets too dark to do anything apart from sleep.
    what are your plans to tell time post collapse?

Brownbear, wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I quit wearing a watch years ago. Except for appointments, which will cease, during a grid down / economic collapse, I have no need for time keeping. As LW points out, people will get up with the sun and go to bed when it sets. Candles and other forms of light will be saved for special purposes. When a person has to make their own candles / torches, then they will not waste them sitting around chit chatting. Add in the daily struggle to survive and people will tend to want to go to bed earlier. Time keeping is more important in a modern existence, than post collapse. The primitive tribes do not have time keeping devices and they manage quite well , going about their daily functions.

lonewolf likes this.
  3. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I will return to "natural time", awake during daylight, sleeping in the dark. This means sleeping longer in the winter to conserve energy when food is less abundant, and sleeping less during the long summer days of plenty.

We allow our lives to be run by a "created" time, and we rush around for appointments and what not. Why do we do it? Prior to the railway network time was local, now we even have "atomic" clocks.....

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have several of the old school travel windup alarm clocks. During the day you don't need a clock so much once you learn how to read the sun location. At night though if you wish to rise before dawn to go out hunting you may need some help. During the day I can make a sun dial. In the past people found several ways to handle this. Most towns had a night crew that sounded a bell on the hour. Old clocks sounded the hour and one tone on the half hour. I had one of those for decades and still miss it somewhat.

My wife wasn't raised with it so I put it away and will bring it back if thing go south and there is no power. Time in the way we use it now won't be realistic in a world without power. You will live by the sun and winter days are vastly shorter than summer days. About the only thing where exact time might count would be in military type maneuvers and actions.

High noon, sunrise, and sunset will be our important times and the rise and set change. I remember one time that I was hunting on the Monday after the time change. My trust in my watch failed me because I failed to change it. I got caught several miles out in the woods when it got dark. LOL, I just sat with my eyes closed for a bit and then once they had adjusted, I walked out fairly easily. I have blue wolf eyes and see better than most in the dark. There is a trick that helps. Look to the side of where you want to go. The edges of your optic nerve seem to be more light sensitive than the centers.

I have always loved the night and the dark. For others it caused fear but for me it was my safe place. I think that this was because I had terrible eyesight and was used to a blurry indistinct world. This wasn’t discovered until I was starting the second grade. Glasses opened me to an entirely new world. I had never seen a bird in flight past an indistinct blur that might be anything. I didn’t know that there was a clock on the wall and so the bell was always a surprise to me. I probably have a dozen pair of glasses now. I never throw away the old pair when I get a new pair. Strangely, as I have aged my vision has actually improved instead of getting worse.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My eldest son is into old watches. I have one of my dad's wrist watches; it was made in 1948. We like wind-up pocket watches and thus have a few. Son has a self-winding watch -- as one walks and swings their arms, the motion therefrom winds the watch.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you all...rise with the sun and sleep when its dark....

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    at least post collapse we wont have to go to the ridiculous bother of changing all our clocks and watches, 1 hour forward in Spring, 1 hour back in the Fall, that is always a pain and I never could see the point not in modern times anyway.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have my Dad's old Elgin selfwinding watch. I also like pocket watches but the cheap ones just don't last for long.

I liked Daylight savingstime a lot when I worked. It allowed me to do things other than just go home because I would have several good hourd before dark. I HATE daylight WASTING time and wish we would just go to daylight saving time year round.

I am a night runner and see sunrise at the end of my day way more often than at the beginning. About the only time that i get up real early is to go fishing in the summer. Being retired is great for me. i now live totally without any intrest in the clock time. I sleep when I want to and don't when I don't. It is 9:30 AM now and I have been up and going since about 10AM yesterday. I might catch a nap later and I might not.

I never liked getting up early. I did it for a lot of years but as soon as I went to work for myself my rule number one was that I never started my work day before 9AM. I have never understood why bluecollar workers are suposed to start their work day at the ass crack of dawn. As far as just for me, I like doing the 3:30 to midnight work shift but it is hell on family life. When I was single though it worked best for me.

My Dad's generation seemed to feel like there was something wrong with you if you were laying in bed after about 8 AM. It didn't matter that you worked at night and couldn't get to bed before 1 to 2 AM. I liked it when I worked the graveyard shift from say 11 to 7AM. I did a lot of good fishing after work on that shift.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My preferred work shift was always the graveyard shift (midnight to 8 a.m.) but due to my career choices, I almost always worked the day shift. I hated the swing shift (3 p.m. to 11 p.m.) as I would be wide awake when I got home and it would take several hours to get to sleep and then I would be getting back up just in time to head off to work again. No real family time. Except for days I volunteer at the gun club. I get up when I want and go to bed when I want. By nature, I am a night person and I have better night vision than day vision. Also being hearing impaired, I tend to sense movement and vibrations before others around me do.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a night person but I'm more of an early bird these days, like to get up early and get things done in the morning unlike others (SIL) who dont even get going until nearly midday.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nowadays workig the 3 to 11 shift wouldn't be as bad as it was when I was a young man. Back then TV played the national Anthem and turned off at midnight. There was just nothing to do at night back then. The stores were all closed and about the only places open were just not attractive to me. I'm not much for bars. For a while i went to them to play pool but drunks like to fight more than I do.

So that i wouldn't bother my wife or wake up the kiddo I tended to take long walks at night. Once the cops got used to me and knew who I was my walks were usually very peaceful and relaxing. Sometimes I would go to my church and play pool in the recreation building. I was on the Board of Directors and Chairman of Buildings and Grounds so there was no issue with that.

I did learn to lock the doors behind me when I went in though. One night the cops showed up and we managed to just scare the living crap out of each other. I was walking to the door to see what they wanted when they opened it and we were suddenly face to face. They had their guns drawn and I thought they were going to shoot me for a little bit!!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    We like early mornings before most of the plebs are awake, we see lots of interesting things on our daily walks before the noise of normal life makes it intolerable.

Brownbear likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've lived in the country for 30 years and the coyotes make more noise than the people.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    people make too much noise these days, I think they are afraid of silence, they will have a hard time of it post SHTF when there is no traffic noise, no industrial noise and no air traffic, and any noise there is will be heard a long way off.....and noticed!

15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Silence seems to make a lot of people nervous. They also don't like being alone.

lonewolf, Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sooooo, spot on. Good point. Mature individuals take notice of this phenomenon.

Many chatty Kathys are simply neurotic; but, talk talk talk has become required. Thus, my wife and I are deemed "unfriendly". No we're not. Where I'm from up in the mountains of Appalachia, people will sit on their porches and not say a word. If there is nothing to say, well, there isn't. Mountain folk stare at valley folk and find it odd how they rattle-on about nothing.

Much of women's speech is them testing the emotional position of each other. The content of their speech is not so important. This royally confuses men. Men don't give a crap about the feelings of each other. When they talk, they exchange information.

Wife: "How do you feel about this?!"

"Honey, I ain't got no feelin's about it whatsoever."

"Yes you do."

"Gawd awlmighty, jist fergit about it. I ain't got nuthin to say."

In this day and age, men have gone effeminate. This is especially true in urban areas. Now that families continually break-up and boys are raised without an alpha male to teach and discipline them, the boys get stuck in adolescence and many of them go effeminate. Thus, Western nations are crumbling.

Country women and mountain women are as tough as leather compared to city "men". My dad's mom was a danger. She always had a revolver nearby. That woman took no sh## off anybody.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    around here out in the countryside it is not unusual to see 2 cars stop in the middle of the road, the windows wound down and 2 friends start chatting to each other, it looks odd to city folk but its normal around here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Old Geezer, Dec 5, 2021
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is a thing over here, when you say to an urban person "whats that noise?" they reply "What noise?" you see to them noise is normal, they make so much noise themselves .
    out here where I live it is very quiet, so that when there is an unusual noise we can hear it, I always say this place is like a ghost town most of the working day, and weekends are even more quiet.
    most people are herd animals, they have been programmed to have a herd mentality thats why they cannot possibly survive on their own merit.

19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As time pieces and as social interaction devices, the iPhone now rules the minds of the masses.

Forget apocalyptic events, just shut-down iPhones or their access to the airways and people will go into severe withdrawal. I'm kinda not kidding here. It is as if iPhones have an IV line straight into the arms of the addicted.

"iPhone Addiction Is for Real, Says Stanford Study"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2010/03/iphone_addiction_is_for_real_s.html

"A survey of 200 Stanford University students has revealed that, yes, iPhone addiction is legit. Nearly half of the respondents said they are 'very or completed addicted' to their devices. Okay, not that surprising. But, in some truly bizarre findings, 3 percent said they don’t let anyone else touch their iPhone, 9 percent 'have patted' their iPhone (is that a euphemism for something? Actually, never mind), and … 8 percent (so sixteen real, human Stanford students) admitted that at one point they have thought: 'My iPod is jealous of my iPhone.'"

upload_2021-12-5_16-55-14.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    technology is an addiction no doubt about it, they will be so desperate and mentally afflicted post collapse when the power grid goes down as much as any normal drug or alcohol user.

Brownbear, TexDanm and TMT Tactical like this.