Tobacco as a dewormer

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by remnant, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Tobacco has been vilified as a cancerous and healthwise devastating substance but every cloud has a silver lining. It can be used to make potent insecticides as well as serving as an organic dewormer. Tobacco leaves or powder fed to cattle are very effective in the expulsion of worms of all kinds from the gut. The response is very fast and the helminths come out as a dead mass.

2. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any credible sources of back up information for that? It sounds extremely dangerous for animals...

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I only know that tobacco is used as an alternative way to cattle deworming. Tobacco contains nicotine sulfate, which kills the worms in livestock. But today, there are more modern dewormers that are less harmful and still effective, but if your only option is to chew tobacco, is not so bad either.

1. Jennifer Wallace
      How much tobacco do you give a dog weighting about 120 lbs?

Jennifer Wallace, Jan 28, 2020
  4. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Oddly enough my dad is an older gentleman and he is always joking, "give the dog a little tobacco it will kill the worms". I think it may be something our grandparents and grandparents parents may have used as a home remedy for worms. I do think it was unsuccessful, and a bad idea. My dad does too despite his jokes. On an off note chewed tobacco can be placed on a bee sting for nearly instant relief.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have heard of its use as a pesticide but not as a de wormer.

6. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I decided to find out more about this and I saw it was true. The nicotine in the plant acts as a poison that attacks the parasites, but not strong enough to harm the animal.

7. 0331kevin

0331kevin Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    When I was child my grand father, who was a farmer, told me that we could deworm our litter of puppies with chewing tobacco. I didn’t believe him so I decided not to do it. Later on that day he put a small amount of Redman chewing tobacco into the largest puppies mouth and held his snout closed. Sure enough it made the dog sick but when he threw up out came the worms and shortly after they came out of the other side. The dog was sick for roughly 15-20 minutes but every parasite in his digestive track was gone. He said it was common remedy on farms in rural communities back when there were few veterinarians.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In poor communities (I'm from Southern Appalachia) kerosene has been used as a dewormer for both critters and humans. Don't ask me for dosages.

I used to get "plasters" for chest infections. Kerosene and camphor were distinct components -- lord, I can smell that even unto today.

0331kevin likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had a German Shepherd that ate every cigarette butt she could find. Since my Dad and I both smoked non filter cigarettes we would just knock the hot part off and give them to her. We asked the veterinarian about it and he laughed and told us that it just meant that if she was human she would probably like smoking and that it would keep the worms cleared out of her gut.

There used to be a lot of old time tonics and things. Some were probably of little use and some were obviously pretty good. Whenever I would get bronchitis my Dad would make me a hot toddy for before bed. They were great and worked. Basically it was an ounce of bourbon, an ounce of lemon juice and an ounce of honey placed in a glass that was set in hot water until it was warm and well mixed. It was taken with a couple of aspirin. This was Nyquil before there was such a thing.

The kerosene was a part of a tonic for spring fever and was pretty awful tasting. Basically the kerosine seemed to work on you a lot like mineral oil and was what my Granny called a through purgative. It cleaned you out from one i=end to the other!

Tobacco chewed up and then placed on a bee, wasp or scorpion sting under a wrap was a drawing poultice and worked pretty well to reduce the swelling and pain.

A lot of the old time remedies and such were based on alcohol, mineral oils and liquid opiates. I remember when paregoric was dispensed by the pint on open infinite refiles prescriptions. It was basically a tincture of opium and would stop diarrhea and knock a kid right out. There were a lot of adicts at one time. It tasted like old super strong and rancid licorice juice. YUCK!!!