Tomahawk Throwing.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Keith H., May 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

omegaman likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I love throwing weapon hell I love all weapons.

AuntB and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Me too Joseph.
    Keith.

4. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Interresting. Love your vids Keith.
    Youre talking about a historical point of view there, did you have tomahawks in Australia? I'm into my own history and we don't. We've had small battle axes and I've played around a bit with that, guess concept is similar, but my ancestors hardly threw those, they are kind of heavy and you'll need it in your hand.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My interest is in the history of settlement in America, but yes, Australia had tomahawks. There are many living historians in Sweden that interpret the life of 18th century woodsmen in America & Swedish military.
    Keith.

omegaman likes this.
  6. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Thanks Keith

Keith H. likes this.
  7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    While I own several tomhawks ..I do not conceive of throwing them....

To me throwing a tool/weapon as such is a last ditch attempt sort of thing. To me my tomahawks are working tools. Same with my camp axe.

Knives to me are to valuable to be throwing. A good knife is to me a very valuable working tool.

I've had throwing knives and got rid of them. They are not good working tools.

Now the Cold Steel Assegai Spear I bought a few years back...that I might consider throwing that tool...but carefully.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-A...6315&sr=8-1&keywords=cold+steel+assegai+spear

Now my cousins...on the Big Island of Hawaii...hunt the wild pigs with spears ....like the olde Hawaiians. But they run them with dogs...then spear them. Dangerous to me....wild pigs. I expect it can be hard on the dogs as well.
    Oh..they shoot them on occasion....but they spear as well....to keep the olde ways alive.
    They, the wild pigs, do a lot of damage to the undergrowth on the Big Island and destroy the habitat for many native species.
    When they kill one ...they prepare them for the Olde way of cooking them..in the ground.

My cousins also tell me that the wild pigs get into the Macadamia nut groves and eat the nut pods which fall down off the trees. The Macadamia nut has a very very hard shelled nut inside the pods which fall. That the wild pigs have no problem cracking these nut pods which fall from the trees...so powerful is their jaw pressure.

That is a very tough animal.....with and attitude.

I'll take a 12 gauge with slugs thank you.

Thanks
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I throw tomahawks for entertainment & practice. If I have the choice of being shot or throwing my axe, I will throw my axe. Even if they dodge it, it may give me enough time to gain cover or get away. Tomahawks can also be thrown for hunting if needs be. I think that if someone has a belt axe, or tomahawk, they would be wise to learn how to throw it just in case they may NEED to some day.
    Axe throwing is not a new craze, it has been used in warfare for many years.
    Keith.

9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Im not much of a throw my axe away guy i can do it well but agree with keith last ditch choice of ive or die i can throw a knife well allso but again notbig on giveing it up now i have throw weapons knifes stars spikes and can use them well. I allso have saw blade attachted to a lengh of chain that swings well. Itook a old circlar saw blade and cut the teeth of then made it zazor sharp it iswicked

10. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I like to throw everything

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well that is just the point, once you learn how to throw a tomahawk properly, you can throw just about anything that comes to hand.
    Good one:)
    Keith.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My Scots-Irish / Ulster-Scots (I think the latter term more accurate; Protestants) lines stopped and settled in East Tennessee, more specifically, the counties constituting the lost State of Franklin (DNA test showed me 98% Scottish blood; my Y chromosome code is found here and in two southern counties of Ulster). You'll not read much about it, however the State of Franklin culture sure as hell didn't stop with the Revolutionary War. When the Confederacy seceded from the Union, the State of Franklin seceded from the Confederacy. We've always been Republican, thus went to fight for Lincoln during the Civil War. We were called the Bridge Burners during the Civil War, 'cause we'd wrap bridge beams with burlap, soak that with pitch and kerosene, and light those boys up. The State of Franklin had to be occupied by Confederate cavalry. The latter resulted in a bloody mess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

http://northcarolinahistory.org/encyclopedia/state-of-franklin/

http://www.historynet.com/the-overmountain-men-battle-for-the-carolinas.htm

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/the-switzerland-of-america/

http://www.tnhistoryforkids.org/history/virtual-tours/sm_files/loststatesign.jpg

Spent way over a half-century walking these streets:
    http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/94170360.jpg
    http://c8.alamy.com/comp/CT2H6E/main-street-jonesborough-tennessee-usa-CT2H6E.jpg
    My dad's dad (and my bestest buddy when I was a little boy) used to attend the hangings behind the Jonesboro Courthouse. Pap taught me how to tie a hangman's noose when I was five. He was born in the mid 1890's. He carried a 32-20 revolver and favored the 16ga shotgun; used to bring home rabbits he'd decapitated shooting them with that 32-20 from his car window.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...g/1200px-Washington-county-courthouse-tn1.jpg

America's founding was utterly and totally beyond complex. Note how just this one area, St. of Franklin, had a history convoluted beyond all imaginings. I've tried to get some gestalt concerning my own area, to no avail. I couldn't tell someone whether we were friends with the Cherokee; we fought them, protected them, they helped us, we married in with them, we fought our own kin, crazy stuff! Feud here, feud there, holy crap! My mom's dad (part Cherokee), I never figured out -- loved the man, but was always a bit wary of him. The hills of Southern Appalachia hold their secrets tight and to this dang day there's places therein you wish to avoid.

We even hung an elephant
    upload_2018-1-21_22-44-23.png
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lling-photo-macabre-story-murder-revenge.html

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Churches and cannon balls

upload_2018-1-21_22-53-13.png

Seems ain't nobody spared projectiles of every sort.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A man after my own heart. A ripping hammer is a totally devastating weapon and one that the cops don't think twice about you having in your car. I like crowbars too but my all time favorite is a fubar. I've also used screwdrivers for throwing. I can stick one through a postage stamp sized target every time from a short distance.

I don't throw all my knives but I have a bunch of carbon steel butcher knives that I throw and a few hawks and double bit throwing axes that I play with. Things that throw are usually good for other purposes. I don't have any pure throwing knives. I have actually found the old hickory butcher knives to be good for all aspects of woods and survival work. Even new they are inexpensive and most people these days think that if it isn't stainless steel it is crap so I pick them up pretty often for a dollar at garage sales and flea markets.

The thing about throwing things is basically the premise that goes with guns. Sometimes it is best to stay at a distance from a problem and while a gun is probably the best, anything is better than nothing. I've actually pinned a couple of snakes to the ground with a thrown knife. Now days I would have a gun but when I was a kid I didn't have one. I still carry a small throwing hatchet type knife in my fishing kit. It is basically a lightweight version of the Tracker knife. They throw great and also chop slice and dice. I have a 12" saw blade that I'm going to turn into one of these.

15. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
  16. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    If it's sharp and pointed I can throw it

17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the links & the images. My special interest is from the first settlement to the French & Indian war.
    Keith.