Too Many Hammers

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by randyt, May 19, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a bunch of hammers and really only use a few most of the time but it never fails I may need a odd ball now and then.

I built up this rack but need to build another for the rest of the hammers.

3d8f0fb5dbc3eb765f8087da8f3a9a4a.jpeg

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I the same way a lot of hammers .

3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Now put them all in a bag so we can see if odumbass really as dumb as a bag of hammers LOL

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Og say, "Hammers good!"

1801be3e6418d0aa09cb59bf679b5a09.jpeg

5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sam Cooke

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    After I gather my big hammers I then have to start with my little hammers. Among other things I have hammers made out of almost any common metal so that I can beat of things without making them. Lead, copper, brass, bronze, aluminum, plastic, rubber dead blow, softwood, hardwood, Delrin, just as you need a lot of big different hammers for forging and blacksmith work you need all sorts of little hammers for jewelry work. Then you start into the woodworking hammers.
    My hammers have run from tiny 1, oz jewelers hammers through a 20-pound sled that we used for breaking and tightening 6" to 24" nuts with hammer wrenches in the shipyard.

You know, all tools are a lot like this. I probably have 50 different types and sizes of saws and hundreds of different wrenches. My knife collection runs into many hundreds. I do wood carving and that requires a lot of different types and shapes. One of the nice things about owning your own business is that all tools are a tax deduction and that makes them like they are on sale 50% off!!!!

7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    RandyT,

Wow...now that Is a lot of hammers.

I keep the usual couple of claw hammers around but also have a couple of ball peen hammers for more specialty work. They are also heavier in weight than my claw hammers.

I use a 40 oz. sledge/two and a half pound hammer at work and have cut down the handle to make it more portable and fit in smaller spaces often found on Submarine work.

One long handled 8 pound sledge here at home for the really heavy duty jobs.

Certain work...nothing else will do but a good hammer.

Nice idea putting them on a rack.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

8. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am short on hammers.........But I got'z me a lot of "Whacker Thingies".

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    This thread won't be complete without this tutorial how to make a gorgeous engraved hammer!

This guy is a bit eccentric but talented. I got impatient and scrolled to the end for a visual treat.

10. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    here's my smallest ball peen hammer

ce1d6eebc04b9cc967b4f3be3e0fafc4.jpeg

11. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    dang I need to oil that up tad bit

12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not exactly sure if the following belongs in this thread.

Childhood chum of mine said that every time he'd go over to his grandma's house, the old girl would ask him, "How's your hammer hangin', boy?!" He said that this embarrassed him. Grandmothers, what a grand source of humiliation.

13. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm the same with axes, I always find a reason for just one more...even if it's only to rescue them from someone else less deserving.

14. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Which one ??? The hammer or your poor hands, or both. LOL
    Me gots about 3 or 4 hammers myself. Maybe I need to start getting some more, I am behind the "8 peen" Hahaha

15. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    thinking about it, I probably have 5 times as many hammers than shown. My granddad had lots, my dad had lots, I had lots. I ended up with my granddad's hammers and dad's hammers. That gives me lots of hammers. I have steel hammers, lead hammers, brass hammers, wood hammers,rawhide hammers, bronze hammers, cast iron hammers. I have a chunk of black locust that is waiting to be made into tinsmithing hammers. Need more free time

16. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have to share a hammer story. Wife make jewelry. Was looking on line for a very special hammer, could not find it at her normal jewelry supply houses. So I told her we could go to various stores and see if she could find her special jewelry hammer. So off to Wally World, no go. Harbor Freight, no go. Michel's, no go. Lowes, no go but wait, here it is, a welders chipping hammer. Go figure. Happy wife.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see how you can have "too many" hammers, I have them in all different sizes.

18. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Dad gave me a couple of his hammers with broken handles. I just picked up some wood to replace those handles.

19. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Ohhhhh. Shiny. Shiny is good

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Not as many as some o& you, but I never let a good axe or hatchet pass me by if Ican help it.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.