Took My Lady Friend Shooting....

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Feb 5, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Took my lady friend shooting the other day ....with my Beretta .22 LR...semi auto pistol.

Similar to this one..

3225607_2.jpg (2500×2500) (fws-files.s3.amazonaws.com)

I wanted her to get accustomed to the .22 LR before moving her on to a .38 Special....or anything more stout.

Turned out not to be a good idea.....I should have let her use my Ruger Government pistol in .22LR instead.

RUGER-MODEL-MARK-II-GOVERNMENT-TARGET-22-LR-SEMI-AUTOMATIC-PISTOL_100868373_24163_A42AE7DFC971AE3F.jpg (1463×768) (gunsinternational.com)

The Beretta gave her a case of "Slide Bite" and most of us are well familiar with that.

I also shot up about 12 rounds....two speed loaders full...of .357 Mag...XTP hollow points.

I now have these spent cases reloaded with more Hornady XPT bullets and IMR 4227 powder.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Slide Bite happen and is almost always due to improper grip. WC, be sure to watch and teach your lady friend a proper grip. She will have a lot more fun without the band aids. LOL

TMT Tactical, Feb 5, 2023
      watcherchris likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    We will be going again ....to have her shoot....as she enjoys it.

In particular I am looking forward to the day I let her shoot my Henry lever rifle in .38 Special/.357 Mag.

I think she will verily enjoy shooting that...as she was raised on and likes western movies.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.h4

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    And now if your lady friend ever turns on you ... .

Make sure she doesn't take out an insurance policy on you!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Never, ever be worth more dead than alive. Survival 101. LOL

TMT Tactical, Feb 7, 2023
      watcherchris likes this.
  4. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    On the serious side Gentlemen....I am concerned for her as there is getting to be more and more two legged wildlife around here and it seems to be spilling more and more out into suburbia...and we are in suburbia.

That is my concern for this lady I am seeing...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    thats the trouble with large urban areas, 2 legged wildlife, druggies and low lifes.
    I'm glad I got out of the city nearly 25 years ago thanks to my then new wife who is a country girl born and bred, best decision I made-on both counts!!!
    was talking to someone only this morning who had to do some work in my old home city, he says its got much worse!!

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

No argument from me on that lonewolf....none at all. I verily like it when I get to take trips out into the country...even at night ...you can see the sky and stars with much more clarity...than here in the suburbs.!! And it is a lot quieter a well.....wonderful.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Centuries ago, I had both my NRA instructor's certificates for Rifle and Handgun. Trained folk. Not that many. Have heard horror stories from other instructors.

As far as handguns go, what I've witnessed and read: It is easier for women to learn to shoot revolvers than automatics. Some women like matters mechanical, but many do not. You spoke of shooter's knuckle. Saw one young woman with her hand wrapped such that I knew the injury was anything but subtle. Talked to her and her boyfriend started her off with a centerfire auto. Watcherchris you did well in starting off with the .22 autos. The Ruger won't cut you but the Beretta sure will. I've got a Ruger .22 target, but with the tapered heavy barrel, not the bull Gov. model. Got thumbrest target grips for it.

What my wife ended up liking best was a snub .38 with hammer shroud. If you can find one or order one, the 3" barrel is a better buy. The 4" barrel can be grabbed out of a woman's hand. A snub double action with a shrouded hammer or hammerless, if an attacker tries to grab the handgun, she can still pull the trigger = bad for the attacker.

Now I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest something non-standard. A .32 revolver in S&W J-frame size has 6 shots, whereas the .38 special only has 5 shots. The .327 Federal Magnum will shoot the .327 mag, the .32 H&R mag. cartridges, .32 Long, even the little .32 short (if you can find shorts). The .327 has blast and recoil, but not like .38 Sp +P ammo. This blast/recoil may not be what somebody with small hands will want to shoot. But hey, the .32 H&R mag. is a great round and has less blast and recoil. The .32 long has very little recoil and wadcutter ammunition is something with which you really do not want to get -- cuts through arteries and organs = internal bleeding. Round nose bullets can push blood vessels aside and not damage them much. Hollow points just don't expand out of short-barreled revolvers; they just don't. Some do, but that is one very long discussion.

Something I've purchased is the Buffalo Bore .32 long wadcutters. With the special powders B.Bore uses, they stay within SAAMI pressure specifications. But B.B. does push that bullet. I've compared regular .32 wadcutters to .32 B.B. wadcutters. The Buffalo Bore do much more damage -- they'll splinter the dickens out of the back of a 2"x 4". Other brands will NOT do that. Buffalo Bore ammo is expensive but by golly it does what the company sez they will do and that is to DESTROY.

I bought the totally flat "tin-can" wadcutters (100 gr). The price is over a dollar a round and then you gotta add shipping which isn't cheap.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=141

upload_2023-2-7_15-27-8.png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      I've two .32 revolvers. One is a collector / what my paternal grandfather carried; has 4" barrel. That one, I don't shoot (rarely take it out of a safe). I found a dynamite deal on a .32 S&W "Hand-Ejector" w/3" barrel (6-shot cylinder) -- couldn't pass that up. Plus, it is a shooter -- can take it to the range a blast-away. Has a very tight / tiny cylinder to forcing cone gap, next to zero cylinder play, crisp rifling, and shoots accurately :). I shot numerous Buffalo Bore warm wadcutters through it and it worked fine / nothing at all was changed / cylinder still tight as it was before.

[​IMG]

Old Geezer, Feb 7, 2023
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    according to my informant yesterday my home city is full of druggies and drug dens. well it has been nearly 25 years and nothing stays the same and most places these days seem to get worse not better, my last location there was a nice friendly suburb with a small village feel but we've had the migrant influx in that time.
    when I lived in a city I got out into the countryside as often as possible, some times on my motorbike but quite often backpacking for a week at a time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, druggies and low lifes are everywhere ... the countryside is not immune. It's actually worse here because there are so few police, compared to towns. It's now a big thing where druggies set up their labs etc on rural properties, because getting busted by the cops isn't as likely.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Because of my age and where I've lived, I have known both the "Before" and "After" worlds. Even when living in several states of the United States -- due to availability of positions (my techno-niche was narrow/very new; not many of us were on the planet twenty years ago) -- I always would try to get a place outside of an urban area and commute to work. If there aren't any farms, fields, and forests nearby, I get depressed. Plus, I want a garden.

The "Before" world was sane. There were career criminals, sure; however, they were few in number and they had to work mightily to avoid both law enforcement and armed citizens. There was zero tolerance for criminality. Back then, the mentally ill were hospitalized. In towns where there were Veterans Administration hospitals, one would see vagrants and homeless due to the men getting kicked-out due to drug use and violence. There were Salvation Army quarters and individual church groups fed and housed those in need. Too charitable organizations would do their best to find jobs for these folk so that they could get back up on their feet. In my home town, there was very little racism due to the minority folk there being of the working class. We had numerous BIG factories owned by big-name corporations, i.e. there were jobs to be had. The minute you left any given town, BOOM, you were instantly in agricultural land or in a mountainous state or federal forest. The people who lived in town had rural kin. The people in town had gardens and fruit trees. They new how to grow food because they came from farming families.

Prior to WWII, 70% of Americans lived in rural areas. By the 1980s, only 30% were living in rural areas.

And then corporations moved their manufacturing operations overseas. Some adapted, some couldn't. I had to change from big industry to medical technology. I was lucky, I had degrees both in electronics and healthcare. Many were not so fortunate at all. Even for people with degrees, finding jobs was a horrible task. Bad days.

Concurrently to this, America's morality began going down the tubes. The counter culture had its origins in the 1960s. As each decade went by, moral rectitude went down. Now, we stand in a world of anything goes. People are supposedly free to anything that feels good and that includes criminal behavior. If you fall down and skin your knee, then "good government" is supposed to rush in and put a band aid on it.

As we are all witnessing, no one had to drop nukes on cities. They are self-destructing.

As far as prepping is concerned, in the "Before" world there was a tremendous amount of self-sufficiency. In this "After" world, self-sufficiency is almost totally absent. People today are as dependent on electricity as much as addicts are dependent on heroin.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    got to agree with most of what OG says, even here in Britain.
    even living in a city "before" was pretty good, there wasnt that much crime and people were friendly, I think the "after" over here started somewhere around 1997 when one Tony Blair became PM and opened the doors to mass migration or as he said " to rub the Right's face in multi culturalism", things have gone downhill in Britain since then, now we have all this woke, gender and trans crap, the world has gone nuts.
    most houses now are all electric, in fact the govt WANTS us all to be electric, even gas boilers will be banned and probably so will log burners eventually, along with electric cars this will put too much of a strain on the power grid and it will collapse, once the power grid collapses that is the end of modern life for many.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It's my belief that women should first dibs on handgun carry permits. Reality check = women aren't as physically large as men and due to a lack of male hormone, haven't the strength of men. A lazy overweight man is stronger than most women athletes. Human Physiology 101. Women live longer, though. Male hormone kills.

Men can fight back against other men. What's a small woman to do if she is attacked by some large male felon?!

Look at the statistics. What is the rate of violent crime of women vs. men. On perpetrator violence statistic charts, women barely show up at all. Are women victims of violent crime? Lots and lots of women are injured and killed by men.

If there is any group of humans who should NEVER be denied the ownership of firearms, it is women. Women should NEVER reveal the combination to their gun and personal possessions safes to men -- not even their husbands. Women have a right to keep and hold that which is their own. They don't need any alcoholic monsters taking what is rightfully theirs. One kid at our Church emptied a .22 automatic rifle into his evil father. The boy (13 or 14 years old, two years older than I was at the time) was not charged with murdering that puke of a father. About two or three weeks later, he returned to Church and was welcomed with open arms. I heard one of the Church's Elders speaking to him and that old man was almost Christ-like in how he showed care for that kid.

If any man is caught punching a woman, he should be charged with a felony.

Back many a'decades ago, had a man in our family (saw heavy combat, WWII, had killed many German soldiers) who was a night-rider with the police and the KKK -- police & KKK used to be pretty much the same crew. Most times in my part of the South (unique history, pro-Lincoln), black folk weren't the target of the Klan (indeed, this part of the South was the home of the Underground Railroad). However, trouble-makers of any race got dealt with. Mainly, inbred white ogres with no foreheads got dealt with. What was done with wife-beaters? First, the Klan would pile switches up on the guy's front porch. Meaning: stop beating your woman, else we're gonna take you out, tie you to a tree, and lash you with a bullwhip until your boots get filled with your own blood. They weren't joking. If a wife abuser got a cross burned in his yard, that meant that he was to leave; leave the house, leave his wife, leave that part of the state. If he didn't, then some night he would get disappeared. "He's gone away." Translation, he is now possum food. The mountain forests of the South are vast and things routinely got lost back in there. In one county where the iron mines had been, there were vertical shafts so deep you could throw a rock down one and not hear that rock hit the bottom. Same was true with bodies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I disagree with Olde Geezer here....

Most violent crime is against men...it is not against women. A permit should be issued as they come.and with the same standards and requirements for both males and females.

Men in this social structure are clearly considered more disposable and expendable than females....but the women want equality....which I believe is a myth....and this is why today it has morphed into Equity rather than equality. Equity is political double talk for getting it both ways...while someone else takes all the risks and pays.

All I have to do is watch the phony media and leadership in bed together to figure out how phony they are including the women's movement. The women's movement does not want equality.......they want the benefits of equality without the risks of equality. I can apply this to other movements.

If you do not have the risks of equality ....you do not have equality...but Equity ..and Equity also is a phony

Do no misunderstand me....I am not against a woman defending herself..or even learning to defend herself. I am just not interested in this kind of welfare when I know most violent crime is against males.

I am also not against being a gentleman...and try hard to so conduct myself around both men and women.

I just believe equality and respect are both earned not given like welfare...and now entitled....or renamed..equity....rebranded for political reasons....ie...votes.

Just came back from a trip to the mountains...with my lady friend.

Decided on the spur of the moment to go ....and we wound up in a small town near the border named Coburn, Virginia....to see her brother. He is retired US Navy and also retired from the forest service...but also an avid and knowledgeable reloader.

We conversed a plenty about reloading but he was familiar with something I was not...paper patched bullets...the Olde Way....black powder. We had a very very interesting conversation on reloading.

Very nice up there and the deer were out in the daytime ..right in his back yard.. He told me he has had black bear come right up to his back door ...checking his place out....

He showed me a beautiful river which he told me has plenty of small mouth bass....caused my palms to start itching...and I have my small survival fishing rod...in the back of my car.

But alas..we were pressed for time to our next destination.

From there we proceeded across the border into Tennessee...and visited my ham radio friend from years and years back

He too is way up in the mountains and retired there from down here near the seacoast.

However..we stayed only one night at my friends house as we discovered my lady friend had forgotten her meds...and hence decided we should return home the very next morning...for her meds.
    And so we did.

I had forgotten something about an American Event Sociologic.......................This weekend is the Super Bowl Game.

I have no interest in the game....but told my lady friend that we may go out shopping after kick off time when the game starts. The crowds at the stores will be minimal....a good time to shop.. but not before kickoff time. Before kick off time...the stores will be pandimonium.

Traffic on the roads will again be minimal after kick off time..

I keep a case of bottled water in both my cars and truck...also one here at home. Will need to replenish with two cases ..one for here at home and one for my car...simple preps for which I try to keep maintained.
    We drank a lot of bottled water on this short trip.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Took lady friend shooting again today.....
    Today, 06:35 PM

Some time back I took my lady friend shooting my Beretta model 71 target pistol.....

However she got slide bite on her thumb and we let it heal awhile before going back to try again.

This time I brought my Ruger Government MK II Target Pistil and she got no slide bite. I believe the design is better to prevent slide bite than the Beretta.

We shot up about 100 rounds and her groups got tighter as she shot more. I worked on her two handed grip...and also let her know she did not have to hold the pistol so far out with her elbows locked as it made the gun heavy and she also needed to breath ...as she was shoooting ...not lock up.

The Ruger Government Target is a remarkable shooting pistol right out of the box....for the monies...very accurate.

I am proud of her for learning and a great day shooting.

As she likes western movies...I hope to get her up to speed shooting my Henry lever rifle in .38 Special/.357 Magnum.

Patience Grasshopper....Patience...!!

Picked up two cases of bottled water...one for my car and another for the house...to replenish used stocks.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Have water filters on spigots or input water lines. Re-use pop-bottles and water bottles. Buy flavored drink powders and injection bottles for filtered water.

For household, one must have 15-20 gallon storage tanks. Plural. Ones to gather stream water (plenty of that around here), plus and ones to store the boiled filtered water. Wouldn't hurt to toss-in some silver coins or colloidal silver; plus, iodine tablets. Needn't overdo the iodine tablets. Might be best to go lite on iodine, even though could protect against fallout should a nuclear war flareup wherever. Just a touch of chlorine will do for H2O storage.

One can bathe and wash clothes with boiled mountain water. Any water source can contain cysts such as those causing Giardia parasites. Even the cleanest water can be contaminated. The ONLY exception is water shooting out of the side a granite walls up in the mountains -- that has already been filtered by Mother Nature (hundreds of feet of filtration).

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do need to get a house filter system...Olde Geezer. Have been procrastinating on this for a while now.

I have an electric distiller by Durastil.....and it makes 12 gallons a day and has a 5 gallon holding tank...but it is electric...in a power outage it will be useless. This system makes great water....when it is working.

A filter system is something I am going to have to work on.

I do keep around several of those water bottles and also several of those tan military plastic jerry cans...and come hurricanes...or very bad weather conditions...I begin cleaning them out and filling them up with tap water...

I also know from Living in Japan in my youth.....typhoons......to get everyone showered...laundry done....and then clean/rinse out the washing machine....clean the bathtubs...and fill with water...

But a good filter system would be a very helpful thing on this home.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:

I don't know what a "Durastil" is, but distilling water and/or alcohol is a great thing. You've got a generator and spare gas/petrol. Can't think of anything more important than having drinkable water. Alcohol has innumerable uses.

(Dang-it, my dad lost our best car mechanic because the Revenue agents sent him to do a nickle in the Fed pen in Atlanta for running 'shine. NOT FREEKING FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liquor used to be how you brought your corn to market. It's like how the dang Fed puts poor black kids in jail for selling weed. Marijuana is a weed. It is only a weed. Ben Franklin's hash pipe is in the Smithsonian.)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish women could head-butt men. They can kick or knee a man in his family jewels. If a man threatens a woman with severe injury or rape, that felon should be shot by the woman.

[​IMG]

In the video, one man in the migrant boat / large rubber dingy points his forefinger making the shape of a pistol at the vidiographer, drops his thumb, and then says, "boom!". Seems as if he has already selected his future career in England.

Meanwhile in Amerika (what's left of it):

upload_2023-2-20_18-19-37.png
    upload_2023-2-20_18-30-37.png

The biden regime's encouragement of illegal migration has resulted in many thousands of their deaths. There is no way of knowing how many have died with U.S. borders -- it's certainly over 10,000. But in that desert area of northern Mexico and southwest United States, incalculable numbers of bodies haven't been found / never will be found. Coyotes, buzzards, and other animals feed on the dead. Plus, the bones get scattered.

The following map shows where bodies have been found on the Arizona side of the border with Mexico. At some of the locations, multiple bodies were found. In Texas, ranchers routinely find immigrant remains on their property.

upload_2023-2-20_18-46-4.png

"The other Death Valley: hundreds of migrants are dying in remote Texas deserts"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ths-border-crossing-texas-mexico-extreme-heat

“'We’re struggling to deal with all the bodies,' said Don White, county deputy sheriff. Last year the county was provided with a mobile morgue by the state in response to the grisly human reaping. 'I recently had to pick up three fresh ones in a day,' he said.

“'The risk continues to increase,' says Moya. 'Asylum seekers in Mexico are fearing for their lives and smugglers are taking advantage of that. They will do anything to make profit from these people. It’s human trafficking at its max.'

"In February 2020, Carrillo apprehended a group of more than 50 people en route. “They are given an itinerary like a cruise line,” says Carrillo. “There’s been a huge rise in attempts to cross. But it’s a dangerous place – there are snakes, mountain lions. If they can’t continue, they’ll be left behind.”

"For those who make it over the first hurdles in an attempt to reach densely populated cities such as Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, where they can live under the radar of the authorities, the risk is far from over.

"In June, 53 immigrants, mostly from Mexico, were found dead inside a sweltering tractor-trailer on the outskirts of San Antonio, Texas, in what was the nation’s deadliest smuggling incident along the US-Mexico border to date.

"Since 1999, more than 7,500 migrants from Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and beyond are estimated to have died on the US-Mexico border, according to data from the CBP.

"Most of these deaths can be attributed to heatstroke or dehydration, according to Canales, who maintains 90 water stations out in the brush."
    -----------------------------------------

Old Gzr: The only way to stop this is to build walls and ship-back ALL people entering the U.S. illegally. The message must be, "It is dangerous, even life-threatening, to attempt to enter the United States illegally. Even if you get here, we will ship you back to some place that is not within the borders of our country."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting that second subway video Max......great video.

I greatly dislike two legged wildlife and often respect and admire four legged wildlife and it's motivations than do I the two legged variety

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I love head butts, used them several times myself and IF delivered correctly will shorten any future conversations with someone who is peeing you off. My order of quieting thing down runs from throat tap, hard knee strike to head butt. Men react quickly to a kick in the meat and veg but react way slower to a knee/throat/butt strike in your preferred order so take your pick ;)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My dad taught me to first break an opponent's nose = pain and involuntary tearing of the eyes.

Didn't listen. Hit people in the eyes. Now my hand is busted all to crap.

On the upside, for small revolvers and automatics, i.e. pocket pistols, my deformed hand allows my little finger to reach underneath the hand-grip and better secure my grip. Can't fully explain this, but the short story is that I get a great grip on smaller pocket pistols/revolvers like the one I have in my pocket right now. On larger handguns, this doesn't get in the way, because my little finger flops around enough to accommodate -- the muscles are still attached to my hand even though the joint is broken under.

By the by, I do NOT recommend breaking your hand. This can go wrong.

Guy I worked with got mad at his Doberman and punched it in the head. The blow had zero effect on the dog (it just looked up at him); however, he got the proverbial "boxer's break" out of his having lost his temper. Oh and, animals aren't humans. They are FAR more robust than us.

Even if your hand is wrapped properly as if prepping for a fight, still, you can break your hand. I've even destroyed the cartilage in my hand. Doctor told me he might be able to fix things but in doing so, I would lose most of the flexibility in that hand -- he'd have to fuse everything. I just live with what I have. I'm old. I can use my cane. I've busted this body all over the place. The doctors got my shoulders back on. Had to reattach one of my biceps. Crack-ups and abuse, this body is shot.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not believe in a fair fight. If I have to defend myself, I plan to end the fight very quickly. I do not fight to prove a point or for sport. I have never met anybody with arms long enough to defend their knees. I will dislocate my opponents knee and the fight is over. Martial arts tournaments and even the MMA do not allow knee strike, for a very good reason. They are almost impossible to defend against. You don't have to be big or strong to dislocate a knee, just accurate.

24. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Knee injuries.......is that not a common sports injury??? Thinking of American football......??

Veryy bad....Knee injuries.

I have a pretty good amount of upper body strength...but found out after knee surgery ...that upper body strength ..while a good thing...does not mean that much when your knees don't properly work. That was a wake u[ call for me.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.