Top Ten Preps To Buy At Dollar Tree

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by TMT Tactical, Mar 12, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Short video on buying some prep items at the Dollar Tree.

Morgan101, Rebecca, Dalewick and 2 others like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump to get it moving.

poltiregist likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't expecting much out of the video considering we are talking about " dollar tree " but I was surprised . This is actually a video worth watching .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Very good, TMT.

I'm a regular customer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Specific product warning; re: matches

Diamond brand GreenLight matches are to be totally avoided. The match heads in current product are too tiny to work. I like wooden matches.

Again just don't buy these matches, because they are worthless. I've had the tiny match-head light, then fly off its stick. It can't burn you, however; it isn't big enough.

upload_2021-3-13_19-33-52.png

What I have been buying is fireplace matches, the big'ns, 11" with fat match-head. Obviously, I'm using them to start fires in my fireplace. If taking them into the field, cut the stick to desired length, AND you will need to a section of striker, because they are not strike-anywhere. If putting the striker inside the container with the matches, you must wrap the striker section in wax paper to keep the matches from accidentally striking when shaken. Speaking of wax, to provide some waterproofing, one can dip the heads of wooden matches in wax. Most everybody does this.

Ways of waterproofing wooden matches include waxing, using nail polish, and infusing w/turpentine:

When I discovered hurricane matches, I was utterly smitten. The match-heads are covered with a waterproofing. The match-heads are BIG, can be an inch long, and thus allow you to get what you want to light lit, by golly. I know that they run expensive but so what, I buy them. Have them in my vehicles and extras at home. I keep a minisurvival store in my civilization backpack and my briefcase; hurricane matches are in there. I like the cylindrical cases for hurricane matches because they usually have a sealing ring around the lid to keep water out of the case, away from the matches. Use up the matches in the hurricane case? To replace, buy uncased hurricane matches that come in cardboard box, then their sticks so as to fit your hurricane match case.

Here is my match-use bio. I include to show my bias. You may think I've gotten loony over matches. Nope, there's a reason. The following provides no more technical information, thus one may just avoid reading it.

You've heard me say that as a boy, I started x-thousand fires (mainly fireplaces to stay warm). That made me a connoisseur of matches. As a little boy, I always had a cigarette lighter nearby or on me (along with a pocket knife); however when building a fire in a fireplace grate, the cigarette lighter was awkward/didn't fit. Thus, matches ... and which matches worked. Matchbook matches could be extinguished if the chimney suddenly had an updraft. They are not robust and can easily be gotten wet. What I've counted on from childhood on up is wooden matches -- strike-anywhere wooden matches. I used both the small wooden matches and the larger kitchen matches, preferring the kitchen matches I'd light the match on the fireplace grate or the bricks surrounding the fireplace. The proper big & long (11") fireplace matches I never saw until I was an adult. Was shocked that they ever existed. By golly, they are there next to my fireplace now and I sure do use them.

I was in a state of mourning as the strike anywhere matches began to disappear. It was as if my little friends were dying out. So, from as far back as the 1980's I have sealed these boxes of matches in plastic bags. I keep these bags in ammo cans. I think of them as ammunition.

Attached Files:

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      The greenlight matches can be useful at the right price, just not for matches. Especially if it has strikers on both sides of the box. You need to know what your doing though or you will get yourself hurt.

Dalewick, Mar 13, 2021
      TMT Tactical likes this.
    2. Dalewick
      One of my local hardware stores has started selling strike anywhere matches again. Made me so happy.

Dalewick, Mar 13, 2021
  6. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well, that secret is now out. Rice, salt, sugar and so many more.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

No starter fluid ? No Boy Scout fire water in kit ?

It's probably unethical but using a little of the stuff in ammo can be a booster.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was just rambling on about matches.

Now that I'm old, I cheat. I'll toss some kerosene on my stack of stuff to burn in the fireplace. I've got some little packs that you throw under your burn material. You light one of these and it burns hotter than hell and sets off everything.

When a kid, I set a goal for myself in building a fireplace fire. Use one match. I'd get everything stacked on the grate for the fireplace fire. I'd start with wadded newspapers, then kindling, then a 2" the layer of "nut" coal. I tried to make breathing avenues. Now the match to set off the row of dominoes -- a heap that would require no other inputs and no more fuel. When the under-fire was super hot, I'd use the poker to knock a hole in the top of the now-crusty layer of coal. If I'd done everything right, the 1" hole I'd knock with the poker would allow a perfect jet of blue flame to shoot out. Again, the goal was to use one match.

I use logs in my fireplace. I also use a cast-iron grill I put into the fireplace when grilling hamburgers and hotdogs I don't go outside to do that anymore. We don't have family get-togethers anymore. Most family is dead or living in other states.

For the outdoors, for emergency situations, I've got strikers and magnesium shavings. Plus I've got gimmicky crap. I have a trail stove that has an adapter to use kerosene.

There's the tin can stove for those going minimal to the max. It uses Heet fuel line antifreeze as fuel, which is to say that its just a tiny down'n'dirty alcohol stove. Pure alcohol can have an invisible flame -- that's not good. Heet comes in a handy bottle for pouring. But now that gasoline is already mixed with alcohol, gas line antifreeze is pretty much unnecessary anymore.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Was just joking.

I remember the Boy Scout requirement to make a fire with only one match. The kindling was so much of pencil sharpening kiln dried wood, it was easy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    back about 1960 I had to do the Boy Scout 1 match fire lighting, the trick was to prepare the kindling well before attempting, these days I have matches, lighters, spark strikers, flint and steel, magnifying glass and even a reflector type gizmo.

11. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Gas line Antifreeze....wow!!!

I had to think about that one as I'd not heard of that since I was a kid and we lived up in Bangor , Maine. Dad used to put a can of that stuff into the gas tank...as i recall.

I did not realize that was what it was...alcohol...

Wow...its been a long long time since I've heard even that word...gas line anti freeze!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the strike anywhere kitchen matches. I take three of them and put them in a big drinking straw and then melt both ends shut. I have used these for years and they will stay good almost forever. Now I add a piece of sand paper and then pack the end of the straw with cotton. Fast fire and waterproof.

TMT Tactical likes this.