Tracking Dog

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by poltiregist, Sep 29, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Do we have members on here that have a trained tracking dog for gathering up meat or dispatching the enemy ? Yesterday I trailed down a crossbow shot deer through steep mountainous terrain . That turned out to be about a two mile trail . On climbing over the last hill the bloodhound pulled the rope from my daughters hand and surged ahead and soon had the eight point buck bayed . The buck was on his feet fighting the dog when we caught up and had to finish the deer off . --- I got another call from my 17 year old grandson last night . He needed help tracking down a deer . Unfortunately my old pickup truck wouldn't crank for me to be able to drive to his location . I haven't heard yet this morning whether he recovered his deer . --- So the record for my bloodhound is successfully trailing down a critter on a 17 hour old trail and the longest distance was set yesterday on the two mile trail . For his performance yesterday my daughter says she is going to buy him a steak . I let the hound sleep in the bed with my 14 year old grandson last night .

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    randyt, Old Geezer, lonewolf and 2 others like this.
  2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday morning I was not hunting but was doing other prepper stuff . Most of the rest of my survival group was out camping and hunting . Along this time was a lady that came up to the hills from the Louisiana swamps . She shot a deer with her bow that ran off . They had a bulldog at camp so they decided to try it instead of calling me in with the bloodhound .. I watched a video of the trail job . The bulldog was pulling on the leash and was struggling to take off on the trail of the deer as they waited for another member to show up for the chase . At last they turned the dog free and he shot off on the trail . One mile later the bulldog caught up with the wounded deer and flipped it to the ground and held it until the humans could arrive . The Louisiana woman is in good shape and used to run track but the terrain was something she was not used to . She got so exhausted from the chase she vomited but continued the pursuit . --- I don't think anyone is hunting today as the freezers are full but one of our members is going out today to hopefully buy another freezer . --- I wonder if the bulldog would do the same thing , if we put him after a looter , trailing him or her down and then bringing them to the ground ? I don't think I will do a trial run on a human as of yet . --- That makes two deer we trailed down with a dog this week but certainly is not the amount of deer harvested this week .

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This topic really hits a nerve with me.

I watch crime dramas in which some police agency is out trying to find a missing person or attempting to locate objects belonging to a crime scene. No dogs. Where are the dogs?

I am from the American South. Poltiregist, just listed a stack of capabilities of the tracking dog. Dogs are infinitely complex creatures and even possess the beginnings of what we call mind -- they certainly have grand memory banks. God gave dogs the ability to reproduce and nurse their young. NO FACTORY INVOLVED! Low upkeep. Grand reward.

Recently there was a string on this site dedicated to robot dogs. That one got my blood up.

In our "society", common sense has been proven lacking, mightily so. I would push Sherlock Holmes aside to fetch a decent dog. Smart people value working dogs.

For squirrel hunting, all a person needs is for the squirrel to be chased to your side of the tree. A dog is more than adequate to the task.

Dogs love you, almost worship you, for giving them the meat scraps from the hunt. In my world, throwing away meat scraps was sacrilegious -- that went to the dogs. Nothing from an animal was thrown away.

5d026474bad4801952e4e65138675e67.jpeg

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some say that in a survival situation, they would have to kill and eat their dogs. How unimaginably stupid.

SHTF, I'm going to be killing things to eat. I will share with my dog(s). No gunpowder, I'll fall back to archery. And I have thousands of air rifle pellets and multiple air rifles.

My family is going to have protein to eat, so will my dogs. Considering that dogs HELP you in the killing of game endeavor, they have more than earned their share of the critters killed. Cave men were anything but stupid. The best killers survived. Find a beast who will help you kill = you've struck gold.

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    indeed Old Geezer, I prefer a dog to most human beings, dogs are more useful and wont let us down unlike the average human being. besides dogs are more fun than humans.

poltiregist, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dogs are more useful than most humans. ✔

Dogs less likely to let you down compared to humans. ✔

Dogs are more fun than humans. ✔ (Sort'a kind'a, not quite; the wife and I have had a WHOLE LOTTA fun together over the decades ;), coming up 45 years.)

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and poltiregist like this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    different sort of fun OG, having been married 3 times and divorced twice I will accede to your greater knowledge on that subject.

TMT Tactical likes this.