Traditional Vs. Modern

Discussion in 'Knives' started by EarlyMarksman, Apr 20, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    Recently found an Old Timer jackknife, the Middleman model to be exact, that's been in the family for 25+ years and is a model that is no longer produced with silver bolsters and now has brass ones like on a Buck 110. Turns out, my dad also has the same model. It features three blades: clip point, sheep's foot, and spey.
    [​IMG]

Due to recently finding it, it has sparked the question of: is a traditional knife better than a modern or vice versa?

Well, it isn't a clear "yes" or "no" type of question. What are the purposes of carrying the knife? Camp use? Self-defense? What type of environment are you typically in? Urban? Rural? What make and model knife are you using? This is actually huge because the first time I ever purchased a knife for myself at around the ages of 14-15 it was one of those "tactical" :) MTech unassisted flip out knives. The quality was.....lacking. I wasn't aware though of the garbage pile I was purchasing. Research is definitely necessary before using hard earned money on tools. Still have the knife though and it works, but I don't ever foresee myself carrying it again.

There is also the aesthetics category which does play a role in my knife purchases. Whether that is an inherently bad thing or not is a topic of different discussion.

Now I have carried modern lockback folders since I was 11 years old and have only recently been carrying a Buck 110.

My carry knives have varied over the years between defense and work.

I carried an SOG Fielder while working on a shortline railroad when I was 19 that doubled as a defense and work knife. I used to also carry a backup knife, which was a Kershaw Shuffle at the time I believe. Eventually moved on to a CRKT, one of their smaller M16 series knives, but I unfortunately lost it. I've had a Spyderco Tenacious for two going on three years now which was my main EDC for that time period.. Switched it for a Milwaukee work knife which turned out to be a terrible quality knife that chipped the very first time I used it. I've been currently carrying a BRK 1301 which was designed by Esee. There of course have been other knives, but I haven't carried them for a significant enough amount of time to put them on this list.

I'm mostly curious at what everyone else on here carries and which one they consider to be superior and why.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning EarlyMarksman,

There's a preceding question. What is modern and what is not ? A 19th century Bowie knife isn't that much different in function than a WWI brass knuckles knife in re the blade feature.

My main purpose of carrying a knife when in emergency mode - eg a hurricane event - is for a cutting tool. For forest fires, we can evacuate into the bay with our inflatable boat. Working around any rafts or inflatables has the rule that tools are not pointed for the obvious puncture reasons. Amphibious environments with ther salt water and brackish water produces an abundance of slime. This requires a serrated edge on the tool for best cutting of eg rope (Rope encompasses lines).

From experience, I do not carry anything requiring much mechanical effort to retrieve and have ready for use. This therefore eliminates folding knives and multi-tools. Removing gloves and anticipating possible hand injuries precludes using them.

My experiences and Prepper planning demands easy access to cutting tools.

On a rigger's belt I have a S&W Homeland Security model sheath knife with a 6" blade, tanto point. The sheath is nylon, a key selection factor because of the area's humidity with the mildew/mold. On my load bearing suspenders kit is an Ontario 10" survival model machete with chisel tip. Here also the sheath is nylon.

We are verbotten to use a cutting or thrusting tool for any defense, less the existential. The winner - hopefully the Prepper in my group - will experience the blood pathogen infections requiring delays because of our limited medical care here and the healing process. Casualties must be avoided to the max.

EarlyMarksman and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    You first need to define what constitute traditional and modern. Is it their design, purpose of use, material, or craftsmanship. etc?

Generally I had always and will always prefer modern design & material, there is always exception of course where I only go with the most conservative traditional design, material, and craftsmanship for certain ritualistic purpose.

Due to the radically different nature of my operating environment & practical requirement compare to all of you here, the type of utility tools (knives and such) I've use are also of different sort. for example for underwater I use blunt tip Cressi Borg and Aitor Jungle King II for utilitarian use on land

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    traditional definitely.

5. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    I would consider the Spyderco line of knives to be more of a modern style lockback even though I'm aware they've been around since the 70's. Examples of modern knives would be CRKT, Benchmade, SOG, etc.

When I say traditional I mean something like a Buck 110, an Old Timer, Case, and pretty much older style jackknives, whether they were made yesterday or three decades ago.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The lock blade is to me a definite improvement over the olde traditional blades..and I have the scars to prove it.

Though I like a fixed blade.....a folder is an improvement when it comes to knife carry. I keep a carbon steel folder in my pocket at all times.

Other than that ...the blade material itself is significant to me...

I don't care for a serrated edge design and like the non serrated..

Clip point is fine...not crazy about the Tanto design as I don't plan to be taking on armor with a knife.... or such.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    re: > blade-sharpening capability > pocket knives

I love Kershaw made-in-America pocket-knives. I love their patented feature of SpeedSafe. One can flick-open their blade with next to zero effort. Their blades hold nice edge, also. They'll readily sharpen to my level of need.

Stumbled onto a deal on a Muela locking blade pocket knife (the Toledo model). Wood / brass junctions are perfect and the knife is just pretty. The Spanish blade on this puppy will hold a razor's edge. I'm no knife-sharpening expert, but I can put an edge on this blade that is dangerous for grandpa me to use. It's not just a matter of it being able to slice through thin paper like a laser beam, it invokes fear. I am unable to stop myself from putting the best edge on it that I can, so I end up with a knife that is too sharp for my day to day usage. Its blade-point makes a needle feel dull. I can just touch a paper plate and the blade proceeds through it. One can hardly feel it slice.

Now my question to everybody; which brand of pocket folding knives have you found to be the best in the department of putting a deadly edge on its blade?

TMT Tactical and EarlyMarksman like this.
  8. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

I'll agree on serrations. Never had a need for them and consider them to be moot for my operations. I do have a Kabar with serration but it's the only serrated blade I'll carry around.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to beat a Kershaw for both quality and price.
    Spyderco and Cold Steel are right up at the top too.

10. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever heard of Opinel?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I own a Swiss Army Champ which I carry at all times along with a tactical pen.

d054f031eca18baee5151502205d2bde.jpeg
    d054f031eca18baee5151502205d2bde.jpeg

12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    when it comes to a folding knife I prefer a three blade stockman either case or old timer. The opinal is a great knife, locking carbon steel blade. The blade is a bit thin, not to thin though. The price is right less than 20 dollars for some models. I have a few.

13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Agree on the Opinal knife being also a good knife for the monies. I too have several of them set aside...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

14. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered the Opinel No8 yesterday and am excited to put it to use.

watcherchris, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  15. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I got my opinals from this link. I have zero business interests with this company but I think the prices are good.

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/

16. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My everyday carry is a Kershaw Link assisted opening. Keeps a good edge and deploys as fast as I can get it out of my pocket. I took the belt clip off to eliminate any hang ups and speed up retrieval.

I have two fixed blades that are on my gear when I'm in the woods. One is my ESEE 6 for general use or if things got ugly. My other is a Becker Necker which I love for it's size and multitude of uses. It's a great hunting knife and I have it with me whenever I'm hunting or fishing.

I also have a Kershaw Camp 10 Tan that I can hang on the side of my ruck for quick retrieval but it usually stays mounted on my side by side for clearing brush. It replaced my Philippine bolo machete that I've had for 36 years. I still love that blade but decided I wanted to keep it and eliminate the chance of it being stolen. Some day maybe I can get a copy made of it out of stainless. That blade has been to hell and back with me.

Dale

17. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    I also have an Esee 6. Just hate that it can't strike a ferro rod. Other than that they are tough knives....that being an understatement.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  18. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I've had a few in the past.
    Never anything fancy though.

19. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I like the buck folding knife with locking blade , as chris says i have the scars , I have three of them of , just in case i lose one. It is amazing to me how many times a day in need a pocket knife.
    upload_2020-4-23_15-57-4.jpeg

20. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

Fancy a lot of the times isn't always necessary. Watched a guy yesterday on YouTube purchase the Five C's in a dollar store and set up a camp with it. Knowledge goes a long way.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes I really like those knives. For work I carry around a Milwaukee Fastback. Nothing special, but it's a knife.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning EarlyMarksman,

Re: "Fancy; knowledge";

There's a case study of sorts studied by some of the Emergency Responder folks.

A few years ago, somewhere "out West" - maybe California, I forgot, a guy named Aron Ralson, went hiking away from te main road. Some circumstances developed and story was about his arm being pinned in place by a large boulder. He self-amputated his arm and staggered back to the roadway where he was helped by a couple at the public road.

His debriefing told of his event. He mentioned he amputated his arm with a "cheap" type of multi-tool / knife. In his narrative he mentioned the low cost of his blade saying something sarcastic about the cheap, non-fancy instrument did work in the overall saving of his life.

This case study is super for study by Preppers.

23. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have several that look exactly like this but are unbranded. one is my EDC.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I want to add a couple of my pet peeves about knife ownership and or maintenance.

Two of my pet peeves are people who own a knife and cannot sharpen or maintain one....down right abuse...by ignorance.

And people who do not own a knife but must needs always borrow someone else's and not take care of it..abuse.

Ok......ok...now...I"ve taken a deep breath...I'm ok now...calm ...calm....calm....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I probably own at least one of nearly every knife mentioned here. My EDC changes but I probably carry a Kershaw or Openel more often than most. EDC means when I am going to the local stores or such.

On the other hand, when I'm out at night or traveling I carry a very different knife. It will then be a bigger, faster opening, and not designed for peeling apples. I especially like a spring opening karambit. When I am camping I have a big Victorinox Treker that is a great pocket knife for things like making camp and has a good assortment of tools.

There are knives for being dressed up and knives for loaning. I have learned the hard way that people that don't carry knives have no respect for one when they borrow one. I lost a friend over him breaking a favorite knife using to as a prying tool.

I have at least one or two of those Walmart dollar knives in my various toolboxes and vehicles for loaning. I can then assume that they are going to trash it without wanting to stomp them when they do.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.