Transport?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Arboreal, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    We know that there's a limit to what you can carry, and getting around on foot is not the fastest way to run errands either, while public transport will likely break down in any serious disaster scenario. What means of transport do you expect to use in an emergency? A car is probably the best in terms of carrying capacity (and range of travel), but in the situation of a prolonged disaster fuel will become a problem. I admit I have next to no idea about stockpiling your own gas - is this possible, at reaonable price, and practical?

A reasonable alternative, when it comes to short trips, is a bike. Almost everybody uses a bike already, it's possible to prepare a stock of spare parts and tires for each, and if it breaks down, it can usually be repaired manually at home. And there's also lifetime free "fuel supply";) Of course, it also means that in terms of travel distance and baggage carried, you're limited by your strength.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I use a wagon alot its a good heavy duty one in winter i use a sled both carry and work well for my needs in summer i walk in winter i use skis i find skis work well i find snowshoes slow but do have them here too

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Come on. Maybe there will be not public transportation but some high capacity vehicles such as buses will be unscathed and readily available. Of course, a bike is more reliable or even a horse or a custom cart to carry heavy equipment with you. Transportation is a matter of creativity.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Though I was gonna say "feet", Mr. Cluckeyo votes for "bicycle". This does not surprise me as when he was in his 20's he rode his bicycle across the continental US. But I still say feet, because in such a situation, you would want to stay light, agile, and able to hide. I doubt I would be wanting to get on any public streets. Even if you had a long distance to travel, you could pace yourself, remain invisible, and get there eventually.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I didn't expect so much answers already, thanks you for your input, guys!

@cluckeyo Good point, I didn't take into account that in some circumstances we might want to move but remain unseen. In this cases it's indeed the best to move on foot.

I'm not sure if driving a bus is really the same as driving an ordinary car (never drove any bus, I imagine the bigger ones can be a lot of trouble?). Horses are lovely animals, but they're actually not a practical mode of transport in our day and age. They actually need "fuel", for starters, and quite a lot of it, not to mention it takes much more work to take care of them - you can't just park your horse in the stables and leave it there for a week, if you don't need it.