Travel Needs...

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by TexDanm, Jul 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One thing that occurred to me today is that if there is an EMP along with everything else, all forms of GPS will be GONE. In my case, this will not have much meaning since I collect maps. If you are going to bug out you need good DETAILED maps of all areas that you may possibly need to travel through. I'm not talking about cheap road maps. you want maps that will have every dirt road and trail. I have sectional maps for all the counties around me and then state maps that have the kind of details I'm talking about.

There are big paperback magazine-sized books that are atlas and gazetteers with this kind of detail. I have some of these and they are pretty good. It goes down to small dirt roads.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Texa...oads+of+texas&qid=1563072852&s=gateway&sr=8-5

You can order section maps from the USGS that are topographical and detailed.

https://www.usgs.gov/products/maps/topo-maps

With the roads blocked, you may need to be able to break off from the masses and go back roads. Without these and no GPS, you are just not going to make it very far.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Tex do you have a particular destination in mind ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    You will need the current detailed maps from point A to point B and maybe even to point C or D. It will also help if you know how to read those maps.

Morgan101 likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have Ordnance Survey maps in the UK, very detailed and this is what most campers, hikers and bushcrafters use.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, As far as bugging out I did that many years ago and am there. I know the area where I live more totally than is normal and have maps that cover most of Texas in tiny detail. When you do service work in a mostly rural area you get to know all of the back roads and short-cuts. This makes me ultra-aware of the difference between normal road maps and the reality of local roads and travel.

I could go from any point in the county to almost any other point and other than crossing the highways almost never drive on a paved road. Some of these roads were more trails than roads but people lived on them and I went there. One of my favorite short cuts involved me driving through a creek in a low water crossing called Lake Falls. the water was seldom more than a foot or so deep but I went across a few times when it was a bit hairy. there were 25 or 30 people that live on the other side of the falls. When it flooded they had to park, some on each side of the creek and others on the other side and cross in a boat. to the other. they then "carpooled" the rest of the way. There were actually several small communities in the county that had to do this.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    @TexDanm Those are the communities that will survive the SHTF events.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is what I suspect too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most British preppers say I have bugged out already because of where I live, a lot of so called preppers seem to live in big cities and large urban areas.
    I had an extensive conversation one time a few years ago with a guy who lived in London and he just would not move and leave the coffee shops, bars and restaurants behind, yet he still thought he was a prepper, oh well, they wont do much good when TSHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.