Traveling With Kids?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by WildSpirit, May 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Traveling is one of the greatest pleasures of many people's lives - and here I'm included -, but when there are children who can't be left alone (for whatever be the reasons), the trip can be a little bit more complicated to be done (because practically all activities will have to be adapted and the care with them has to be redoubled).

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever had the experience of traveling with children?

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the children and on the travel itself. If they are really small, it should be advisable not to bring them if you can.
    But when they grow up, you absolutely should bring them with you. Of course during their first travel you'll have to adapt a little, but this way they will learn, they will improve themselves, you will be able to teach them what you've learned in your years of experience. Travel and similar experience can really form a man, expecially in a young age, and if they are willing to listen and learn to you, in a few years you won't have to adapt anymore and you will have an amazing travel companion.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a youngster I travelled with my parents, I don't recall any problems. My Mother used to sing "It's A Long Way To Tipperary" to keep me occupied at times. We did the same with our boys, & played "Eye Spy". Out of the vehicle we never had any problems, our boys were raised to stay close & not wander when told. At home in the forest they were allowed to wander & explore, but we also taught them survival skills & gave them survival packs.
    Keith.

4. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Wel... Time changes, right? :)And with them... The priorities as well. Although I think that some traditional aspects should be maintained "simply" because they are extremely good. :D

5. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    As a father of two, I've experienced this many times. Small children can be a handful while traveling, but you just have to bring the right things. And now, with modern technology, keeping them distracted with cartoons and whatnot is a piece of cake. Back in my day is more of "keep quiet, lest dad get annoyed" and that was about it. ;)

6. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I have to say dealing with children is not really my forte. I just have no patience to deal with all the nagging and crying and will most likely lose my temper should things go wrong. I think most kids today lack respect. But it's not really their fault but rather their parent's for being too soft and permissive.

7. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Sadly, you are correct on this. I'm shocked at the parenting, or lack thereof, I see with some parents these days. And a lot of homes are messed up in general.

Our kids are taught manners, morals, and the value of hard work, thrift, education, and toughness. If that isn't popular, then so be it. ;)

8. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That really great to hear. I wish my father had taught me to work at an early age. I'd be much happier having a job of my own by now. He was extremely permissive with money issues but extremely severe with restricting my freedom. Our grandfathers were taught to work from an early age and I really think the world was a better place in their era.

CivilDefense likes this.
  9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I have 4 children & have experienced difficult travel many times. A simple trip to the store could be nightmarish event. They are getting old enough now that it's gotten much better. We also have had some very fun trips. So I guess it evens out over time.

10. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Oh boy, I can write a book on this :).
    1. Before you start packing, make a list of all things you need for the trip. There is a very high chance that you will leave something important behind.
    2. Pack enough toys and blankets for the trip
    3. Do not pack any kinds of sweet snacks at all. Rather pack chewy non-sweet snacks like dried fruits.
    4. Water bottles, pram, disposable diapers, and you are good to go.