Treating Tap Water For Storage

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by preppern00b, Mar 14, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. preppern00b

preppern00b New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello. I’m fairly new to the idea of storing essentials. Prepping, whatever you may call it. I recently started storing tap water in 7 gallon blue containers and store them in my basement away from the sun.

After disinfecting the containers, I refill the jugs with water. I then add 1/2 tsp and 6 extra drops of unscented household beach (which is equal to 8 drops per gallon as recommended / 56 drops for 7 gallons).

Since my city water is technically already filtered and chlorinated (with about 1.16ppm chlorine according to recent city water quality tests) is adding this extra chlorine for long term storage even necessary?

Thanks everyone!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Treating water with standard bleach (sodium hypochlorite), or liquid bleach, is a quick, inexpensive method. make sure you are not using any color safe bleaches or "oxy" bleaches, a they react quite differently in long term storage situations. If you upgrade your storage to larger barrels, however, I would switch to calcium hypochlorite, as your treatment efficiency will be more effective with that much more water.
    If your water is already chlorinated from the tap, adding it in for your personal long-term storage is not necessary. But , better safe than sorry, eh?

3. Proton Entropy

Proton Entropy Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't treat my water with anything. It's from my own well, the only filter i have is an active carbon filter.
    I rotate half of the water every 6 months right after changing the filter and usually taste the old water to check before pouring it out. Never had a problem. I only use chlorine (bleach?) to clean out the containers approximately every second year or so to avoid any algae (but did not see any).

I store it in a dark cellar, maybe 15C/60F temperature.
    As long there is no nutrients and light source in it you should be fine. I'd prefer not having unknown chemicals that wasn't meant for human consumption if it wasn't necessary.

Justin Baker likes this.