Trick to remembering plants?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by acheno84, May 22, 2016.

Trick to remembering plants? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    So I'm currently working on studying the different plants and which types are edible, toxic, etc. What tricks do you use to help remember which plant is which? After a while, they look the same to me and I'm already bad enough with names it's ridiculous. I have a hard enough time remembering different flower types, let alone green plants. Any tips that you can share?

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  2. Hope

Hope New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    You could try making euphemisms. Like for the poison there's a poem that says "Leaves of three? Leave it be!" or "One, two, three? Don't touch me!" You could try making your own poems... OR what I did to learn the herbs for my medicine woman practices I actually took to drawing the plants in a sketch pad with detail, reminding myself which plant it is, that way I was forced to recognize and learn the details of each plant which could be the key to differentiating them.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Mnemonics is the way to go. Actively using these memory devices to associate easily memorable stuff with your target thing to remember could help you to permanently store it as long term memory. But for that you need constant recalling, because mnemonics can be also forgotten, these are complementary tools to help you in the process of developing muscle memory not as a reliable source to recall items indefinitely.

4. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Hope. I am a biologist and I also use rhymes or acronyms to rule out certain plants. I also have cheat sheets with small sketches with a few key points about every plant.

5. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm so bad at this also. I'm gonna try watching some youtube videos. I need to learn which mushrooms are edible. Isnt there also a rule about animals with bright colors(like red) warning you they are poisonous?

6. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    If you are dedicated enough, I think you would be able to do it too. I mean, kids as young as eight in the Boy Scouts can classify plants, so I'm pretty sure grown ups can get the hang of it eventually. It's also noteworthy that any plant that gives off a putrid smell, or you notice animals do not go near it, then it's probably in your best interest to avoid it at all costs. Animal instincts are key here, since they do not know how to classify plants like humans, they rely on their senses to detect whether something is edible or not. If you see animals avoiding certain areas, shrubs, or lakes, then it's probably best to keep walking and find food someplace else.

7. nikkishea21

nikkishea21 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It is not an easy task, I remember back in college when I was to remember so many plant names and it was indeed a challenge. I find that to date I mostly remember the ones that I liked best. If it is in my area i will also remember it, seeing it often helps. We all have different ways of retaining information so I would say to you to make a compilation of the different categories on video and record yourself calling the names along with the picture and watch it often enough to remember the various groups.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I can go on about this and that but the best thing for you is to read this book. Use Your Memory by Tony Buzan. He has several other books concerning mind mapping but I have read this one and I can assure you it helps. I can remember 16 digit numbers, telephone numbers and people's names for the numbers all at once. The whole stories and items from several-page lists. It is very good and you will have your plant in no time.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well for one, what use is it to remember the name of the plant? Colors, shapes and forms are what I would be looking at. You don't need to know what it's called, just how it can be used. ;)

Zyphir likes this.
  10. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it is not about learning and memorizing the names but rather about remembering how they look like, its color, its shape and its usage, as crimsonghost747 already pointed out.
    Now if it would be hard to remember i would probably draw them in a little notebook so I can always check if I am not sure.

11. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I would just recommend a person to look up online and search up 'most common plants in the world''. Then do a bit of research on those plants and examine how they can be beneficial to you when trying to survive. You can memorize the pictures and wording of those plants by creating multiple flashcards and reviewing them day by day. The more you memorize the more plants you know and the more likely you are going to survive out in the wild. So stop playing on that phone and computer and start studying. :D

12. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure how accurate it is, but I have heard that most things that have a bitter taste are indeed poisonous whereas those that are more palatable generally are safe. I don't think this is cast in stone, but could be a general guide. What do other people think about this? I know the exceptions might be mushrooms which might taste OK, but could be toxic.

13. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    It's a hard think to do to decipher which plants are safe and which are not. Even thoIt's a hard think to do to decipher which plants are safe and which are not. Even though he had a book on plant identification, making a slight mistake is what killed the man in wild, the late Chris McCandless. Sometimes plants that are poisonous mimic plants that are safe so it is difficult to judge.