Try For Balanced Diet

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pragmatist, Mar 30, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.popsci.com/story/science/ask-us-anything-can-you-survive-on-a-single-food-forever/

Good afternoon all,

Per ...

It's a basic article but theme frequently neglected. A varied diet, as best as possible, during a survival situation is important.

I once lived for ~ 6 months on only spaghetti and meatballs (until I learned about acquisition methods and et cetra) and can guess my health was not improved.

Thus, my evac plans at minimal level involves a 16 oz plastic bottle of tree nuts, 2 cans of kippers, a 6 oz jar of honey and some chocolate. No pizza, no cheese slices.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    saw a news item today that said in the last year there have been ONE MILLION hospital admissions for Obesity related health conditions, thats people obese enough to need a stay in hospital to treat their illness. now one million out of a population of 66 million might not sound much but thats one million people not going anywhere post SHTF.

TMT Tactical, Brownbear and wally like this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    In my view, moderation is the key. I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) just after I got my spine crushed and had gotten fat (265 lbs) from doing nothing. Since then I had, to change my diet and learn to not eat whatever I wanted. Had to say goodbye to my wonderful carbs (rice, potato's, pasta, etc.) and my love of Coca Cola. Moderation and change. It sucked but what else do you do when the Doctor tells you if you don't change your ways, you will die. I changed. Down to 225lbs and still losing. Man I want some French fries.

Dale

TMT Tactical and wally like this.
  4. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i just started working on it last month lost 12 pounds so far need to lose 90 but will settle for about 50 then start some serious fitness program for the rest....personally i think my life depends on it in the immediate future...

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm fortunate in that I will eat almost anything. Mostly cooked or raw will fill my craw. I actually like raw beef and raw fish and have been known to eat it as I am cutting it. Where I live there are a lot of trees and bushes with eatable fruits and seeds. If worse comes to the worst there are plenty of bugs and worms.

If I were limited to one natural food, it would be meat. I can always find something for roughage. Humans have canine teeth and that is because we are carnivores. There are protean bars now that do a pretty good job, but I prefer to focus on naturally available things. No matter how large your stores are you will eventually run out. I will save my protean bars for when I am on the run or just can’t find anything else.

Nearly everywhere there are foods available. Anywhere that had a native population a couple of hundred years ago is going to have things to eat. You just have to know what they are and how to harvest those foods. A lot of plants have eatable parts. The thing is that a plant with good leaves and small shoots may also have poisonous roots. Other plants have great nutrition in their roots and very little elsewhere. The thing that a survivalist needs is the knowledge of what is available, how to harvest and prepare it, and be willing to eat it.

There are going to be a lot of weak and sick people because they won’t eat nearly anything that doesn’t come to them in a MC Donald’s wrapper or something similar. I was in the appliance repair business for a little over 30 years and I was amazed how many people use their ovens as storage for things. About the only cooking that they do is occasionally dump a can in a pot and warm it up. A lot of kids that are in college can’t even manage that without making a mess. They are the microwave generation… Good luck kiddos if things ever crash.

6. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    herbivore = plant eater
    omnivore = plant and animal eater <<<humans
    carnivore = animal eater

there are some exceptions if starvation or illness is happening but its not the rule..

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    People can eat a WIDE variety of things. That is one of our major survival advantages. If you look at a human strictly as a member of the animal kingdom, we are not a very impressive physical group. Our teeth and claws are not worth much in a fight. There are almost no mammals that we can outrun. Anything that is anywhere near our weight is stronger than us. Our skin offers very little in the way of protection from anything from claws to cold or heat. I think that it was our weaknesses that pushed us into our intelligence. Sadly now, intelligence is of little use in the survival sense. The stupid are out breeding the smart by a huge percentage and as a species we are getting a little dumber with each generation.

I sometimes think that if nothing major happens for a couple of hundred years that if then we get knocked back to the near stone age that we will not survive as a species. I suspect that if the power system was wiped out in the US that two years later the population of the US would be a fraction of what it is now. Most young people now do not know how to cook from scratch. They live on prepared frozen and canned meals that they microwave, or they eat from restaurants.

Even people that have an interest in survival more often than not only have a vague knowledge of the eatable plants in their area, how to harvest them and how to preserve them. They know the obvious things like nuts and fruits but not the root plants and the worthwhile greenery. Caloie wise meat is about the only major natural calorie source that is a year around source. What that means is that you have to harvest and store the fruits and vegetables as they come ripe or they will rot and be of no use to you. That is not all that easy in a world without power unless you know how to do it. Grains are pretty easy but there are not a lot of those that are not grown by people. That first year until you can get things plants and make it to that first harvest will be hard. Question, do you have seeds for the plants that you will want to grow on hand NOW.

What do you think you need to grow? I will tell you that a lot of what people grow in their gardens are wonderful but not things to try and live on.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    our ancient ancestors ate over 2,000 different foods, modern humans eat less than 200 and some eat a lot less than that (take -aways!).

9. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm a great believer in eating what you want when you want using moderation and common sense. I love chips (fries) and cook them at home in beef dripping or lard but maybe only once a month sort of thing. Unless you have a medical or moral/ethical issue with some foods eat what you want but think about the amount you eat and how often you eat certain foods (usually its the good tasting foods).

If you start carrying extra fat on your body you've simple pumped too much fuel down your throat so cut down. There are actually very very few medical conditions that cause weight gain so take control of what you eat.
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/nine-medical-reasons-for-putting-on-weight/ worth looking at.

"ancient ancestors ate over 2,000 different foods, modern humans eat less than 200" Not sure about that one LW, they may well have eaten a wider variety of foods in a particular food group (more variety of nuts, grains etc) but ultimately as people cultivated successful types of a particular food the 'range' of that group shrank but its still pretty much the same food groups.

Look back at our ancestors and they would seek out, hunt for fat and sugar to stay healthy, these days fat and sugar is everywhere in our diet and killing people.

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    herbivore = plant eater
    omnivore = plant and animal eater <<<humans
    carnivore = animal eater
    hamburgivor = over-eater

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Alright OG, Your going to far now! Hamburger degradation is going over a line. I love my hamburgers. LOL!

Dalewick, May 19, 2021
  11. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Which would you prefer on a cold winter morning

upload_2021-5-20_11-16-34.jpeg

or

[​IMG]

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ignoring facts again, my statement was based on historical known facts from nutritional scientists.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll have the fry up but only because I know whats in it, the other is processed and probably has plenty of additives and E numbers.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The top plate but only the bacon, eggs and toast. That would be more than enough.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can do without the mushrooms, not fussed about them but I will, and have in the past, eaten all the rest.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I make a full blown English breakfast about once a month and I like a bowl of fried potatoes on the side too but for me that would be the main meal of the day.

I don't think a fried breakfast has been a daily thing in the UK for decades, certainly in a family setting and even people going to cafes its more a brunch sort of meal.

Slowly emptying the home of my relative we buried this week, need to tidy up it up and sell it and I've bought home a few things from her kitchen; couple of cast iron fry pans, 1950s electric kettle, 'Cornishware' cups and plates...things I can remember her using all my life and that I can use today. Lot of good memories for me from these little things. They'll all get used comes the next 'full English'.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I havent had a full English breakfast for a couple of years, most people seem to have cereal or a cereal bar or sometimes nothing at all, I have toast and marmalade for breakfast.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    At home I go more for porridge/muesli with fresh or dried fruit, maybe a bacon sandwich or toast and jam but off shore I eat a lot more; first break a couple of hours after starting and by then I'm hungry.

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't eat breakfast and seldom eat lunch but I would love the top one for supper. We do eat breakfast meals for supper fairly often. I just prefer to be empty and hungry during the day. i am sort of like a lion and get lazy when my gut is full. I like to eat but for some reason am not and never have been bothered by going without eating. My longest fast was over 14 days and that on only ended on the advice of my doctor. After three days I lose all intrest in eating. When i do this I call it living off the fat of the land. A 14 day fast will drop 10 or 12 pounds off of my weight. I am a big boy and like being that way. At 6' 2" 220 I am carrying some fat but then I eat GOOD and can walk forever. Nearing 70 I am past worrying much about my health. Honestly I NEVER expected to live this long. I feel good and don't look my age but for my family I am a VERY old man. Most men in my family didn't make it to 70 without being in such poor shape that they would have been better off dead. When life stops being a pleasure it is time to move on.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we were always told that breakfast was the most important meal of the day and sets us up for the rest of the day.
    some people are so busy or so overwhelmed at work they dont eat lunch, we-wife and I- have a small sandwich or bowl of soup for lunch and have our main cooked meal of the day at late afternoon.

TMT Tactical likes this.