Urban Survival And Water

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jul 21, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/...0190718-zjeqjcb46jb5nk5u7b3bwv2jei-story.html

At Atria Willow Wood, an assisted living facility in Fort Lauderdale, management began exploring scenarios should the water outage extend longer than expected.

“We have detailed emergency response plans in place for this type of occurrence and are working to make alternative arrangements should the outage be prolonged,” said Executive Director Jim Wood.

Notice: He said they had an emergency response plan, he did not say what it was or if it would even work. High rise Senior facility I worked at, planned to use the basement swimming pool as their emergency water source. Of course they had no way to get the water up 12 stories. Just because they say they have a plan, does not mean it will actually work. Having a plan (good, bad or indifferent) complies with state and federal guide lines.

Sonofliberty, Morgan101 and Keith H. like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TMT Tactical.

Exactly on point.

Plans are just printouts.

If it wasn't a water problem, could an elderly person evacuate from a high rise building ?

The usual "solution" is to transfer the evac problem - and cost - to the public sector.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The facility was not to happy when I did bring up the problem of evacuating 12 floors of seniors. Their emergency plan called for the seniors to shelter in place. Again they had a plan, was not worth a darn but it met compliance, because they had a plan.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I still think "Urban" and "Survival" aren't two words that go together, mainly because of the numbers involved and supply-or lack of it-problems.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

I understand your point. It has an amount of value.

Still, "urban survival" does exist as a discipline that's well developed and thriving.

I've mentioned elsewhere at msf.com that some finance houses on Wall Street have evac hydrofoils to relocate their executives. Some of the high-rise condo buildings are "hardened" and well supplied.

True, the numbers of people in the concentrated areas do not make the situation desirable for the best of safety but I'm only replying to "urban survival".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    any "supplies" in an Urban setting are limited and finite, once the deliveries stop coming in from the outside then time is limited. no city because of its size can feed its inhabitants without supplies from outside. then there is the human waste to be disposed of. water supplies are limited once the mains go down, not that their aren't any but they are limited and knowing where to look is key. disease will also be something to worry about with the close proximity of residents and hygiene probably being an issue for many.
    violence and looting will soon rear its ugly head once the supplies start dwindling, human nature at its worst.
    "urban survival"? yeah right.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

"Wall Street" is akin to 19th century Great Power royalty. It is where money buys more than honey.

For the overall urban area with the city's inhabitants: agree. For specifics like the Wall Street orgs, supplies, infrastructure with its maintenance support systems are in place. Retreat area from Wall Street involve some islands in Long Island Sound and other nearby locals. Even disease and health issues are addressed by the retreat community having a clinic staffed with physicians, dentists and their professional support staff personnel. There is even a seaplane base at southeast Bronx(officially listed as inactive [ Can $$$ buy reactivation?]) Violence and looting ? Premier security detachments handle this. I remember reading about them in the pub of American Security Industrial Society.

I can discuss London but can say Hong Kong BCC - when the Brits ran the place - had similar arrangements to my above narrative about Wall Street and their retreats.

Nothing will approximate a rural environment for survival and safety under the "all things being equal, ... " but am only saying "urban survival" is a program that is working.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    During the recent blackout in New York City one of the councilman (woman) was touting the plans they (New York) had put in place for this specific purpose. She indicated there were lists of people living in the high rises who would need assistance in evacuating. First Responders would focus on getting these people out first.

Do you know if this is true, or just some politician blowing smoke?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan 101,

Just by coincidence ..........

I am sure "the plans" are best described by TMT Tactical: plans to get facility into regulatory compliance - and thus eligible for more grant $$$.

Just by coincidence, a couple of years ago, I attended a mid-Atlantic regional FEMA meeting in Newport News, Virginia. One of the speakers was the attorney who successfully sued New York City for non-compliance in the evacuation of the disabled during emergencies. At the break, I met him and he avoided my question. To use your term: "just smoke".

There are not enough emergency responders in NYC to evac ~ 8000,000 people (to where ?!). It's worse as of the latest blackout.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not have any factual inside info BUT, look at the logistics. Are the first responder's going to bypass injured folks to respond to seniors, that have not reported any injuries? Then you have to look at the actual number of responders, related to the size of the crisis. The final point, how many first responders would have the equipment or training to get the seniors out of all the high rise buildings? In my opinion, it is just a paper plan, to provide CYA.

Morgan101 and GateCrasher like this.
  12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You are probably right. More than likely another politician pumping up their chest, and patting each other on the back for doing basically nothing. Oh look at how important we are. Look at what we did for your safety. A plan that is completely unachievable, and impossible to implement.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    people were initially told to sit tight in the Grenfell Tower fire, look how that turned out.
    72 dead and it could have been a lot more.

TMT Tactical likes this.