Urban Survival Pack

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Dunmaghlas, Jul 1, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm about to buy a 3V Gear sling bag because I've heard good things about it and I can afford it. Anyone have any better ideas?

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Urban survival? How about a credit card and a bottle of Evian.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I would have thought more like a debit card and some coins for small purchases.
    don't some places charge extra for small purchases if you use a credit card?

4. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    urban survival is more important than you might think, especially since where I live, theres nowhere but city for about a hundred miles. this was meant to be a serious post not "hey who out there wants to hate on urban survival?"

5. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    then be more specific, what are your needs? are you bugging in or bugging out?
    we cant answer the question unless you set the perimeters.

6. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Not any more LW, at least not in the UK....it is seen as unfair business practice and is now against UK law...the shop can still refuse to take your card as a payment method though.
    My previous reply was intended to derogate the term "urban survival"
    There are plenty of things to think about regarding "urban survival" such as fire escapes, crime, situation awareness of civil unrest etc.....none of these require a military style back pack. In fact an army surplus pack or indeed anything else that makes you stand out from the crowd labels you as "not one of us" therefore either a threat or a victim.

7. arctic bill

arctic bill Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    I bought a decent medium sized knapsack twenty ago and have used it hundreds time s on hunting fishing camping going to the beach , it is now to the point that i never unload it , when i come back from a trip i tosh the dirty clothes in the washer, and then once clean put back int the back. in the fall i add long johns and remove shorts ect, in the spring reverse the same. my advice is to buy something like this
    70b110ec8563c13416b499d6a36d3370.jpeg

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  8. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    quite right ystranc, anything even slightly military looking singles one out as being "different" to the usual herd and a possible victim.
    in cities one should try to look "grey" or at least the same as everyone else, so if they wear t shirt and jeans so do you.
    any camo should be hidden away and used when you get out into the countryside.

9. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    that's a nice looking pack, bill.

10. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    I can see the practicality of a backpack for the great outdoors bill but since the IS bomb attacks in London and Manchester rucksacks attract nothing but suspicion in UK cities.

11. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    to be far he was using it on hunting fishing trips not in a city.
    I picked up a decent over the shoulder single strap bag, i'm not sure what it was used for-maybe a laptop bag-not sure. that would not attract so much interest as a back pack.
    if you've ever seen Neil Oliver on "Coast" he uses one exactly the same.

12. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    It's not really much of an issue for me these days, I don't spend much time in urban areas anymore. I would avoid cities completely if I could.

13. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Dunmaghlas, can I ask what other people in your area use to carry their stuff around the city streets?.... What would do the job but blend in?

14. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't spent time in any urban areas the closest I come is car boot sales and they are usually in a field somewhere.
    I haven't been in a city for 20 years and avoid them like the plague.

15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    If you are bugging-in during an urban SHTF situation, one of your big fears is going to be arson. Witness the London 2011 festivities. You are going to have to block Molotov cocktails by boarding up windows and having lots of fire extinguishers. You're going to have to kill some arsonists. I recommend shotguns loaded with slugs, maybe buckshot. Archery may get you somewhere. Archery is quiet; use broad-heads to cause catastrophic internal bleeding.

Bugging out: Cars/trucks are likely to get stuck in traffic or can't go on due to bridges being clogged or out. Motorcycles may be a better alternative. Know that people are going to try to tear you off that bike with lethal force. If they do attempt to do you harm, shoot them. If you can't come by a legal handgun, then come by an illegal handgun. Hand-grenades are popular with gangs on your side of the Atlantic of late. Take some barter money with you. Silver coins would be good -- you may have to buy petrol.

If possible, it would be wondrous to be able to get a vehicle out. Currency (gov. pretend money) may hold some value for a while, so take that, but have some real money with you: ammo, silver, canned goods, hurricane matches, strike-anywhere matches, cigarettes and liquor. You will own nothing if you are without weapons or friends with weapons. Forming a convoy of folk willing to fight (zero gag-reflex people) could be a winning plan.

If bugging out, know where you are going. Make preparations. I know this is obvious, I just had to say it.

Remember that if trying to survive in an urban setting, things can get hideous. Most looters are without courage -- kill a few and the rest may get religion and flee. However, there are monsters with skills; this can most assuredly happen. Some gangs possess thought and a tad of courage; rare, but you gotta plan for such. And this of course means guns, ammo, and fire-proofing your home or building.

Here's a pleasant story. Guy told me he was living in L.A. 1992. The people in his apartment complex were civilized. The violence and chaos had gotten within a few blocks of them. Everybody was outside with BBQ grills (for camping). No electricity and who was going to enforce any "no open flames" laws?! Beer was everywhere and so were guns. They just figured that the looters would get to where they were, so they were going to eat, drink, be merry, then shoot into the savages when they got there. However, the rioting never got to their streets. This story brought a giant smile to my face.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Dunmaghlas and Ystranc like this.
  16. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Sorry it took a while to respond, I was on vacation.
    Most people would probably just wear something like a laptop bag or knapsack.
    This is the bag I was looking at.
    3V Gear Shift Urban Sling Pack | 3V Gear

Ystranc likes this.
  17. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Bugging in. I'd probably get killed before I'm even able to get out, but I've done a bit of reading on what to do if you're stuck in the city.
    I already have a rucksack, but I'm gonna want something small or maybe medium for moving around. I was already aware that a military looking pack would be too obvious and already have a black military sling bag so I was looking at this bag.
    3V Gear Shift Urban Sling Pack | 3V Gear
    Mainly I just need something to carry my Kel-Tec | SUB-2000 if need be. I already have the sidearm covered but this bag should have more room.

18. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I think I'll go with a Tactical Rem 380 with some homemade hollow point slugs :eek::eek::eek:
    All the friends I plan with are ex- Marines or SEALs. I know plenty of Marines and one of them went SEALs quite a few years back.
    Also, I'd probably be the one dropping molotovs from the roof at looters :mad:

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Bugging in if you are in a city has three MAJOR problems that you will have to figure some way to deal with. The first is going to be the fires as Old Geezer mentioned. The inner cities are GOING to burn. If you are in the suburbs you might be far enough out to make it through the fires. The second thing is going to be harder to avoid. When the water stops flowing the sewer systems stop. People will be throwing their waste out in the streets and in the ditches. It is just a matter of time before typhoid and a host of other diseases are going to run rampant. The third thing is that because you have so many thousands of people around you it will be inevitable that there will be problems with looters and just gangs looking to tear things up.

The food and water problems are going to be there no matter where you are and probably won't be much better in the more rural areas at first when the people come flooding out of the cities and into the woods to play Daniel Boone. The looters and the fires will rage even there but with more room and fewer people to start with there will be a little better chance of hiding and avoiding some of it.

There are not certainties. Do the best you can with the hand that you are dealt. Just the fact that you are thinking about it now makes your chances better.

perkin steel, Ystranc and Dunmaghlas like this.
  20. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the subs so I might be good on that part.
    From what I've heard typhoid only enters through eating and drinking contaminated items. And kissing. Stay away from that during the apocalypse but after that, do whatever you want no one cares.
    And to the gang issue, play it like Home Alone but with hollow point slugs :eek::eek::eek:

21. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    To be clear, I am in Michigan, USA, and not the nice north and upper peninsula where I can avoid the city. If I could, I would but that'll be a bit of an issue.

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Typhoid will end up in all flowing water sources where people are near. Their waste will get thrown into the ditches and then washed from there into the creeks, streams and rivers. You will be at risk any time you come into contact with that water. Bathing, washing clothes and dishes will all put you at risk. Even a shallow water well can be a life saver.

If you are in a fairly low area water can often be found at very shallow depths and dug with fairly simple tools. I helped a friend do a well in his backyard one time. We did it with a few pieces of pipe and a water hose.

As for the bag question I like and carry a small messenger bag as a sort of possibles bag. It is a good place for all the smaller items that you might want for daily carry that is too big to fit in my pockets. I will carry my gun in a waste holster then spare magazines in the bag. I like it because it doesn't attract any attention like a backpack might under certain conditions.

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  23. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    you can buy various bags its all what you prefer.
    I have a single strap over shoulder messenger bag, not military looking, very drab sort of faded out khaki sort of colour, I have a larger one I bought at an outdoor car boot sale-you'd call it a flea market-I bought both for £1 each, very drab colour again. I don't think either of these would draw any attention.

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  24. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Good to know

25. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Ha that explains all the boot sale stuff I've been hearing about. I'll check out a couple in my area.

26. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    As someone from a more urban neighborhood I would say what you need is a matter of weather or not you are going to leave or if you plan to stay.
    If leavening having a bag that you can maximize on for bringing what is absolutely necessary is invaluable.
    If staying keeping a low profile is best a big bag would just mark you.

27. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    I like that bag, it's a good size but it's kind of smart/casual and doesn't stand out. The trick is not to draw too much attention. It's a difficult balance between carrying capacity and standing out too much. Anyway, good luck and stay safe...some parts of Michigan are pretty tough even before any SHTF type situation.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  28. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I'm in a relatively bad part of metro detroit but there are some way worse parts within 30 min.

29. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna be staying and going for a smaller bag.

30. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I suggest a bag that has straps for both shoulders and if possible the waist so it balances the weight better and if you need to run it's more secure.
    Like a compact tactical backpack.[​IMG]

31. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
  32. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    There we go
    Failed the last time

33. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I will look into that. It looks like the pack you posted is a camelbak?

34. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    No camelbak are made to hold a bladder of water 1 too 2 liters
    That pack is actually just that light weight weather resistant back pack
    You should take a look it's urbangeartech.com tactical lite weight backpack it's about 50$

35. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Cool will do. Thanks!

36. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Just took a look at it. I thought it was a camelbak at first cuz a friend of mine has a similar looking one. I do like it though and might make a light BOB out of it.

37. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    It's definitely a good bag if you don't plan to leave your home.
    You can carry what you need for the day when you head out for any reason. Urban preparedness in my opinion is a lot about personal mobility and home fortification. But everyone has there own way of doing things so if it works go for it I say.

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  38. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I'd definitely go with the fortification if I have a house by the time SHTF

39. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    If your living in an apartment thare are some things you can do that won't void your damage deposit.

40. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Nah I'm actually almost 18 and still living with my parents, but I'll be joining the United States Marine Corps at the end of the next summer so by then I'll be out and have a house after the 4 year term. Definitely gonna set up defensive measures then. Maybe build a vault into the basement too.

41. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Well best of luck to you

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  42. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm Irish so careful what luck you wish upon me ;)

43. Travis.s

Travis.s Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Fair enough

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  44. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    So, final update on this post.
    I chose a bag by Black Ember, the Citadel Modular.
    201710_WS_BE_Product-9_b0be0bb5-6510-4fe5-8932-dde7afecb4e7_grande.jpg

45. perkin steel

perkin steel Member
      18/29

Blog Posts: