Urban Survival Weapons

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    In an urban survival situation, you may find yourself needing weapons. If you are trying to defend yourself in an immediate attack and you are not prepared a couple of household items can easily be grabbed to increase your chances of survival. Light bulbs work as good items to use to stun attackers because they make a loud pop and shattered glass into the attackers face. Knives, fire pokers, pots and pans, big porcelain objects and blunt objects are common weapons just laying around in many houses. If you have a little time and are a little bit of a chemist, you can grab household chemicals and make a little surprise for your intruders.
    upload_2016-1-24_20-9-47.png
    If you can make your way to the garage and acquire some tools, they are heavy and usually made of metal and are great blunt objects. BB guns and pellet guns work great to defend yourself but also work great to detonate certain explosives such as aerosol cans and gasses. To make a simple explosive set a candle by an aerosol preferably around a corner or so that it's hidden and make sure you are far away and have covered. When the intruder passes by shoot the aerosol or gas. If you are not under immediate attack and are just searching for weapons, sports stores and gun shops are going to be your best shot at finding good quality weapons. Because these shops also carry survival knives and other supplies, they are a good place to stop by.

2. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    One of the biggest keys to survival, urban or rural, is to think ahead of trouble. In my vehicles I keep certain tools like hammers and long shank screwdrivers. Every now and again I toss a baseball glove and baseball bat, a metal one, in the vehicles as well. I'm also known to carry sheath knives and extra pistol magazines as well for my Glock 17 pistol. So, depending on where I go, what I do and so on depends on what goes into the vehicles.

3. Sack

Sack New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I’ve made a few maces from pipe and trailer hitch balls.

Attached Files:

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A ripping hammer is lethal. That is the claw hammer that has the claws sticking straight out instead of curved for those not into carpentry. I have screw drivers that are 4 feet long and made with 1/2" square bare. A circular saw blade put on a handle is scary looking. I carried a 4' piece of chain for years and it was effective.

No matter where you live there are things that you can carry for protection that are innocent right up until you need and use them. Even afterward you can say that you had those things for innocent reasons. I also carried a baseball bat glove and ball in a 66 Mustang even though I didn't play baseball. You never know when some kid might want to play catch though. If you are in a car a tire tool is a must. I usually had a long handled break over bar with a big socket on it for tightening my lug nuts.

In Texas a great big belt buckle on a heavy belt buckle has worked for years and years. There are all sorts of things that can work. I used to carry a bottle and can opener in my hip pocket. This was back in the olden days when you had to have them to open drink cans and bottles. I've seen a person cut up with a can opener and it was ugly. I carry a piece of piano wire with loops on the ned in my hat. It is surprisingly effective both as a defensive tool and an offensive weapon. They make heavy metal pens that are good weapons. Hey, you never know when you might want to write something and got tired of wimpy plastic pens breaking and not working when you needed it.

The biggest thing that you need to do is learn how to be a bad person to mess with and then walk with your head up and fearless. Bad people can sense a victim in a flash and they can also sense when they don't want to mess with someone. This is body language and if you have faith in yourself you won't have to prove it very often at all.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Though this is not an urban weapon per se...it certainly was a lesson and one worth remembering for how shocking it was at the time.

Many years ago I made a blow gun from seamless copper tubing and a needle from a pneumatic needle gun welding scaler.

I sharpened the needle and attached a piece of paper wapped in a cone to the back end of this sharpened needle.

I put it into the copper tubing...and then cut it flush with a pair of scissors.

Then I attached an air hose from a 100 PSI air compressor....as a propellant.

Wow!!!!

I was totally unprepared for the results of what I had created. In my ignorance of youth I had no clue that 100 PSI air could be so powerful.

I shot this needle at first into a 4x4 board and got it deeply stuck. I had to break it off in the board to get the most of needle out.

This thing was clearly no toy. If you hit someone close up with it....... it would go right through them.

That was a wake up call for me...and as you can tell ..I have never forgotten it.

Now my friend out in Tennessee uses a variation of this principle in the form of an air cannon to launch a line over the tops of trees to hoist up his antenna wires for a ham radio antenna.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

6. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
  7. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:

TexDanm likes this.
  8. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
  9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I love the video of the ripping hammer being thrown. those thing are beasts and probably about as deadly as a hatchet in a fight. I sort of carry Gibbs rule #9 to an extreme and always have two or three knives on my person at all times. I like to have a lockback folder, a fixed blade knife and then have one with several blades that is mostly a tool rather then a weapon. I have found that most people have a really strong fear of being cut. Most backoff when you offer to gut them. The important thing is that you never do this at a distance and you have to be willing to go there. If you are close I'll happily take a knife to a gunfight. A gun becomes less and less a threat the closer you get. They are at there best standing over here and shooting things that are way over there. Basically if I can touch you and you have not shot me yet you won't be able too. The fight is already lost and you just don't know it.

11. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Anyone ever thought of swords?

12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have a hand and a half spring steel sword hanging on my wall.

Like the Parang too. Several of them in my various BOBs.

Also an Assegai short staff spear.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Dunmaghlas likes this.
  13. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I've always stuck with two handed swords like Katanas and Claymores and the like. I don't have much experience with anything else.

14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    So this topic is about non-firearm defense? I mean, first things you think about are shooting people, throwing acid in their face blinding them, tossing home-made napalm on them / flicking your Bic. But tools, things like that -- is that what this is about?

32a8013923c0a56462c30cc1329f9546.jpeg 32a8013923c0a56462c30cc1329f9546.jpeg

A masonry hammer swings fast. Its horizontal blade will go between ribs into the lungs. That same blade will sever a person's spine -- it acts like a chisel. A ball-peen hammer -- the peening side -- will knock a section of the skull down into a man's brain. You can also shatter a man's shoulder blade with such a hammer. If you slam someone with the claw side of a claw hammer, you can get the hammer stuck in them and not be able to readily pull it back out.

A pick hammer can be driven way down into a man's head.

When stabbing a person, stick them in their genitals or their anus -- this causes massive bleeding, plus they often can't scream due to the psychosis-inducing pain generated by having a knife twisting in their lower parts. A lot of guys like to use an ice pick as their weapon. And then there are those who prefer straight razors or hawk bill tobacco cutting knives.

My dad usually had a blackjack on him. I've never found any brass knuckles that fit my hand.

32a8013923c0a56462c30cc1329f9546.jpeg

A one inch steel ball or a steel ball out a bingo or flipper machine can be thrown at high velocity by hand or sling. Getting hit with such can be disabling -- especially around the kidneys. Getting hit in the head with one can kill you where you stand.

Slapping a man upside the head with a section of logging chain can disable him -- especially if it has a hook on the end of it.

If you know that your enemy is going to be walking a certain section of sidewalk at nigh, you can oil it and when he hits the ground you can run up and slam him with a 2-3 pound hammer. Watch out! Don't YOU slip, ha ha ha.

15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    32a8013923c0a56462c30cc1329f9546.jpeg 32a8013923c0a56462c30cc1329f9546.jpeg
    32a8013923c0a56462c30cc1329f9546.jpeg

A steel door jamming bar (goes up from floor to door handle), a steering wheel lock, or a smallish jimmy bar nail puller ... any of these can be swung rapidly and do a lot of injury to a human no matter how big he is. Shorten the door-jammer or steering wheel lock to allow them to be swung faster.

16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

I've never been keen on Katanas....

However....being around a lot of people with a good grasp on the quality of various steels...I am aware that as much of the edged tool is in the quality and character of the steel as much as the individual design.

Most Original Katanas...have good quality steel and also character by the manner in which they are made.

I got to see a number of them I the 3 years I lived in Japan....family owned.

I also like Damascus...but it is expensive.

Good quality knife steel is expensive as well.

I am not keen on stainless steel in a knife ..but it is good for a disposable knife...a knife one can get damaged or afford to lose like a knife one takes to work.

A knife...in like manner to a screw driver ..is one of the most abused tools in the tool box.
    I do not bring my good knives to work. To many ignoramuses at work concerning respect for a good knife....and steel.
    I bring knives to work for which I can afford to get lost or damaged. I keep a couple of diamond hones in my locker.

Years ago I had two fixed blade knives made from L7 too steel...like one gets in a good tap...or die nut.

Those knives would hold an edge...but if one dulled them...it took some work to get the edge back on them...so hard was the steel.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  17. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been able to find any real Japanese Katanas in Michigan but have seen alot in the U.S. Military Base museums.
    I know a guy who makes knives and swords with 1095 carbon steel and damascus for reaaally good prices if you want me to hook you up. You just have to find the right guy most of the time.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually like the 1055 machetes that cold steel makes. I have several of then and after a few personal modifications that are great. There is a two handed one that is nice but my favorite one is one that I modified into a big hand and a half. I prefer a two handed grip but couldn't resist the cutlass version.

I worked in a shipyard for a lot of years and those big ball bearings were a must have for riding motorcycles. I still have a box full of them. One in a handkerchief makes a great blackjack.

I have my brass knuckles sitting right beside me right now along with three guns a few knives and a tomahawk. Pointy things and guns just sort of seem to accumulate anywhere that I spend a lot of time.

watcherchris and Dunmaghlas like this.
  19. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I been looking for big 1 inch to 1 1/2 ball bearing to drill through and make bolas out of

Old Geezer likes this.
  20. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Yeah theres too many laws about guns&knives where I am and all the Liberals crapping up everything ad the gov't trying to monitoring the guns and knives I have. I can barely even get off carrying a little 3 inch pocket folder in public for crying out loud

21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When making stashes for things governments don't like, also stash lots of metal garbage. This so that if someone is trying to find your stash with a metal detector, they will find 73 crushed metal cans, 25 rusted-out car parts, 103 jar lids, ...

You are very young. Seems however that you are going to have to grow up rather quickly. Choose wisely in who you take on as mentors. Supposed tough guys are mostly idiots. Find men who are over 40 years, who have served in responsible positions, have had to deal with life and death situations on multiple occasions. Soak up job skills from them. Get them to teach you how to differentiate decent folk from those whose souls are lost and those who are evil behind a "kind" face. Expect to do a lot of work on this.

Whenever you save up a bit of money, buy silver coins that are only worth their silver content and have zero collector value. Tell NO ONE that you have done so! NO ONE!!!! Often such old silver coins are called "scrap silver coins". Do not buy silver bars! Buy only silver coins that were in circulation decades ago, but have no collector value. I can't fully explain to you why to stash these things back except to say that they will one day they'll be valuable. The paper and electronic currencies of today will ALL perish.

Do well in school, but also develop actual skills such as welding or engine repair -- whatever you like and that is practical / has real world need. Put together a tool kit. Learn how to use all manner of tools. Go to pawn shops or yard sales to buy tools -- old tools work just fine, use steel wool to get the worst rust off them, then oil them up. I've got my dad's tools and they are from the 1940s and 50s. They still work. I just recently bought a handy tool made in 1909 -- works fine.

Get prepared to be your own man. Oh, and real men DO NOT drink to excess or let dope come into their lives -- rule yourself! Let nothing come to rule you. I watched over a half dozen friends and family die due to drug abuse. Needless death.

Tell God "hello" every once and a while. Avoid His sense of humor. And say prayers for your ancestors and for your heroes who have died. They will pray for you. Let me tell you something a bit disconcerting but true -- we need their prayers and assistance. They'll send you messages in veiled, sometimes silly, forms. Look for such.

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, Texas recent rescinded almost all of their knife laws. You can now openly carry any sized knife that you want and even swords and switchblades are legal now. I guess they figured out that when as many people as we have carrying guns now both openly and concealed that knives just aren't very dangerous. We don't have that many shootings or stabbings here. There were 74 people shot in Chicago over this last weekend alone. THAT is what massive gun control gets you.

When you see shootings in Texas quoted by liberals you need to look close and see how many of those were legal shootings by people legally defending their lives, family and property. They even put in cop involved shootings and have been caught adding Texas citizens that were shot in Iraq and Afghanistan while serving in the military. They are terrified that we carry guns in mass and are safer and less likely to be harmed by a gun than the good people that live in their prison type cities where guns are restricted to cops and criminals only. If you want to reduce the number of GOOD people that are shot by guns you need to make it legal for them to carry a gun. Criminals are mostly cowards. If they think that they might get hurt they go find a safer person to victimize.

There, I feel better. A good rant is like a trip to the bathroom! LOL.

23. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Gonna try to respond to this in groups matching yours LOL.

That does seem like a good idea to throw junk in. I've been starting the planning of a generically shaped/sized vault that should fit pretty much anywhere so I'll add that in!

Yeah I'm only 17. I usually look to my military connections for advice or mentoring but I discovered this forum and its got some really good info. I've also tried to stay away from making too many friends and keep trust at a minimum with everyone. Even though I might be younger than most or probably nearly all of the people on this forum I've had plenty of experience with backstabbers and these so-called "tough guys". I live in Detroit so you can imagine.

I'm paying for a car and insurance and stuff now so my paycheck is alot lower but I might throw some money to the side and switch it in coins like you said at the end of every month or something like that. Prob stash 'em in a back corner of the vault.

I'm actually doing so good in school that I only have to take 2 classes my senior year. I've been working on welding and engine part stuff. I work in a performance drag race car parts supplier so I'm around alot of parts. I've actually got 3 separate tool kits and what me and my friends call a "Ditch Rig." That's basically a BOB but with tools and the likes of bolt cutters and lock picks and whatnot. We never found an official name for that so we made our own. It's literally meant for when we ditch home to join the military. Gonna throw a handgun in when I'm old enough to carry. A little less legal sounding but VERY useful.

I don't do anything involving drugs. Ever. But I have been able to sneak some whiskey from Ireland on occasion. Good stuff and hard to not get drunk when you're drinking out of a quart bottle but I feel like I've mastered that.

I'm not super religious but I do go to church every Sunday and do believe in stuff like that. Specifically the Bible and actually have 2 in all my BOBs.

Old Geezer likes this.
  24. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Completely agree. It is relieving. LOL see what I did there? Michigan still doesn't have laws that good yet though.

25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you are very mature for your age.

If you are doing well in school, think ROTC for college. Hey, let the military pay for your education. Maybe you could go Reserves and get the military to pay for technical school.

If you go straight into the military, know that getting assigned to the technical division of your choice will be a bear. Military recruiters lie -- they tell big fat lies. Somebody like you will never be at peace if your brains are not challenged.

I have known dozens -- and I do mean dozens -- of men who got the military to pay for their computer science or electronics degrees. I've worked BIG industry / international industry (European) / enormous companies for decades (now its high tech medical ... but that's another story ... med background also ... too complicated). Think about getting Uncle Sam to pay the educational tab in whatever area of technology you are interested.

Listen, the military has gone smart. You do NOT want to be cannon fodder. As a taxpayer, I want you -- as the intelligent person you are -- to be doing SMART jobs when being paid with MY tax dollars. Being given intelligent means that you now have the responsibility to use it. You simply can't pi## away gifts the Creator has given you / dumped on you. Smarts have their downside also (it hurts to know too much and intelligence limits with whom it is that you can be friends -- you gotta work with other smart people or you will be utterly alone in life).

Now could be a dangerous time to join the military. If your unit goes active, you could be sent places that are beyond dangerous and get crippled for some useless cause, places that are a garbage dump, places where the "people" are monsters, ..., you name it, there a places that you don't EVEN wanna go. Too, we could be in some stupid war in no time flat. The coming wars will be fought with nuclear weapons and biologic weapons. Entire armies will be wiped out. Millions will die in one day. Consider these things.

I will not tell you how to live your life. Let no one else ever get into your head. Be yourself. Respect yourself, but NEVER become arrogant, for if you do, your spiritual progress will slam to a halt. What souls in the Next World will pray for you if you turn into an a$$hole?! We all need help. This plane of existence is very very very very very far removed from the Creator / the singular Light, so don't expect any prayers by you / for you to come to fruition tomorrow afternoon. Look for synchronicities, these are your mile-markers during the years of your existence. If you feel like life is the equivalent of running through knee-deep mud, then you are perceptive. Life will be like that and worse -- there's not one thing you can do about it.

26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not all that sure that you would even need to go to a trade school. Where I live people can't find young men to work with them and learn a trade. If you can find someone that is good and wants to teach you can learn more in a year working actually IN that trade than several years of schooling can teach you. The money in the skilled trades is great. When I retired from doing AC/Heating and appliance repair I was basically making about a hundred dollars and hour. The thing is that for a repair business your initial investment to go into business for yourself is very modest. A plumber one they reach and get a Master Plumber's license makes money like a Doctor or Lawyer and seldom has to get their hands dirty.

I helped a friend set up a business skirting mobile homes. He had no problem make 250 to 350 a day doing this. The thing is that nowadays everyone wants to go to college and be middle management. If there is nobody to work they don't need that many middle managers! The opportunity in trades for young men that are smart is amazing right now. Even before I went into business for myself I nearly always made more money that the poor people in salaried management positions.

Over the years I've learned and worked in a lot of trades. They all paid well and were interesting. The thing about the trades is that as you get older you are becoming more and more experienced and valuable. In management you are old when you are 50 and if they decide to cut back you can hit the road and basically have nothing that will allow you to compete with younger men. I have a friend that worked for a big company for 20 years. He fell to a staffing cut and went from a 6 figure income to nothing and couldn't find a job anywhere in management. He knew everything about his company but it didn't translate to other places well. He ended up working as a clerk in a Circle K. I'm 65 years old and still get calls from people wanting to know if I want a job. HELLNO!!

27. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I'll be signing as an MP in the Marine Corps, in the U.S., no unit, no squad, possibly elite division, not living in crappy barracks with the grunts or anything like that. Might even be in D.C., if it goes my way.

Never trusted the recruiter, but I've known him for a few years so we're on practically a first-name-basis (although I usually have to call him Staff Sergeant). He's really not a bad guy, but I still don't take his word for it when it comes to info on the Marines. Should be signing this month or the next though.

On how I choose to live my life, I have no idea how I even survived these few 17 years. I'm gonna avoid going into details cuz family can get messed up but I'll leave it at this. I apparently have a 22 year old sister that I never even knew existed or anything and it gets worse. My best friend has gone through similar issues so we kinda build off of eachothers experiences though. I've also nearly been killed about 3 or 4 times, yall probably have more experience but I think for 17 that's a bit unusual.

fyi I'm a taxpayer as well even though I'm only 17 so I'm basically just paying myself for later in life. LOL

Old Geezer likes this.
  28. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL I've been getting into bladesmithing and high-calibre watchmaking and trying to avoid official jobs and doing it myself.
    Pretty profitable too, I haven't had to worry about money ever.

29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid I used to clean watches and did some repair work. I've always wanted to know what made things tick. I'm, among many other things, a machinist and gunsmith and have made a lot of knives. Over the years a lot of my trades started out as me being too cheap to pay someone to fix my stuff and so learned to do it myself. The next thing you know someone wants you to do it for them and you are turning a hobby thing or personal thing into a trade.

In the 80s when unemployment was around 30% I made a living from being big but even then I was doing all sorts of things on the side for extra cash. I roofed a couple of houses, built one house, repaired the cracked slab on a house, replaced the aluminum siding on a couple of trailers after a hail storm, Tuned up a lot of cars, Painted a school and repaired its roof, Wired a room and shop for a guy, repaired a few guns, made a few knives to sell, Loaded a few thousand trucks, Got a license and sold guns, bounced for a couple of bars and did a little private security work. Then I got an AC license, learned to fix anything in a home, restaurant or motel. Did plumbing but hated it. Wired a few more houses, And eventually started my own repair business.

I did all my learning on the job from people that were good at what they did. Like you said, finding work has never been something that I struggled with. In general when I was young I had people standing in line wanting me to work for them and learn their trade. I turned down an apprenticeship to the Pipefitters Union because someone offered me an opportunity to skip the apprenticeship and hire in directly as a journeyman machinist. I caught on quick and stayed there for 13 years until the oil industry tanked.

Any time that you have the opportunity to learn something jump on it. You never know what will be important down the road. Of everything that I got in Highschool I would never have imagined that the one thing that had the greatest influence on my life down the road was and elective that I sort of got stuck with. Two years of drafting meant that I could read blueprints and even make them. That was critical to working in the homebuilding, shipbuilding and Machinist jobs I did later. I could look at a blueprint in a job interview and at least talk intelligently about what they wanted done.

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Getting police training will be good for setting yourself up with a durable / always-needed-by-society career.

I wish you all the best at getting the assignments you target.

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  31. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

I like this post. I'm 37, turn 38 in October and I wholeheartedly agree with what is written here.

Let me add a funny one that is borrowed from the movie A Bronx Tale. "When the little head talks to the big head, the big head knows better." :D LOL!

32. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    About trades. I went to a place called Job Corp where I took on welding. After spending a year doing it with visions of welding beads in my head as I slept, and smelling like flux at the end of the day even after taking a shower, I decided not to do it. It just wasn't for me. Too hazardous. The fumes and the high intensity UV light is a literal killer. One of my welding instructors died from inhaling all the fumes from the galvanized steel he welded on. That stuff is nasty. Sure, you can make great money, especially as a deep sea welder, but man, you're getting hazard pay if you ask me.

If I had the chance again I'd take electrical. I know a thing or two about wiring shit up. Done it in the house.

But I digress. Trade school is definitely something to consider over asinine college. Especially if you don't know what direction you're heading. I've always wanted to fly commercially for UPS or FedEx, but sadly back in 2010 I got diagnosed with bullshit schizophrenia and thus the current FAR (Federal Aviation Rules) preclude me from flying. As it stands now I probably couldn't even fly a damn crop duster. I actually wrote the President asking him to help set fourth a provision that stated if one with a mental health aliment can exhibit the ability to operate a plane in a proficient manner, know how to read aeronautical charts, SIDs/STARS, etc, etc and if the psychologist can sign off on it during the medical exam, one should not be precluded from flying. I know my shrink would sign off on it. At least give me the right to fly privately. But to do it for a living would be an absolute dream come true. I just want to be in the air among the clouds. I remember when I bought an Air & Space magazine that contained a VFR sectional chart of New York and I was fascinated with it. I studied that sucker every day. LOL Now a days I can pretty much read them and know how to use them.

In this day in age there is a shortage of pilots, so that's something that might be worthwhile to someone. But I've read you start low like with a regional and barely make around 35k a year. And it's super expensive to become a commercial pilot.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Dunmaghlas likes this.
  33. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    United States Marine Corp can teach you a trade it's where I got mine

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  34. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL they pretty much teach you the minimum of every trade imaginable from what my brother said after coming home from all the training

35. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back on topic I mentioned this in another post and it is applicable here. The assegai with a short shaft for inside work is just about the best weapon that you can have short of a handgun. with a short shaft you can keep them at a distance while poking them and slashing. Also and this is where I like it better than a sword, you can throw it if you need to. The Zulus were famed warriors and they used these both to hunt lions and in battle.

https://www.coldsteel.com/assegai-with-long-shaft.html

Another good spear is the boar spear. It is a lot like other double edged spear but has a small cross piece that kept a boar from running itself through to get to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-9...d=1533866130&sr=8-2&keywords=cold+steel+spear

I like spears for a lot of things and even if I have guns I will always also have a spear. Properly made and proportional to your height it is a walking staff. There has been a lot of discussion here about the advantages of trapping rather than hunting and I agree with that. I've even done a little of it. Let me tell you a wild panicking rabbit that is caught on a cable snare is dangerous to mess with. They have claws and will rip you up if you aren't careful. It would be a shame to waste a bullet but in a survival situation getting clawed up could kill you if it got infected. A spear is a safe, humane and effective way to make your kill safely.

For a cheap version you can buy a cold steel bushman bowie and with just a little work shape and sharpen the back side to give you a similar shape and function.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-2...5545&sr=8-1&keywords=cold+steel+bushman+bowie

I have both kinds of bushman knife/spear heads and they are tough as heck. In an urban situation if you want to make a quick kill this will do the job. It is also a pretty intimidating weapon as long as you are not dealing with someone that is armed with a gun. Even with a gun it is deadly, quiet, and will last for almost ever. With a strong haft you might even be able to keep a bear at bay. Zulus killed lions with them to prove their manhood.

36. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    by Texdanm,

Interesting what Texdanm posted here. Some years back I met a fellow who had moved here from New York City. What he told me was very interesting.

In the City anyone with certain trade skills is in high demand with so many Apartments to keep and maintain. Integrity too.
    Lots of people in the cities with management skills and ability to move someone else's paper work but not much knowledge of how things/machines work and ability to keep them working.

Been to New York City ...and don't like it...but never thought of it through that kind of trades prism...but it makes sense.

Again by Texdanm,

Never really thought of it that way. I just liked the look of the spear and reasoned a short shaft would be more portable and useful. This tool has a nasty ...nasty ..mean ...edge.

As to the Bushmans Bowie..I have one of those too. It is capable of being mounted onto a shaft or handle for a spear.
    Thinking about a short shaft and portability like the Assegai.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

37. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nails through boards come in handy. If uninvited "guests" wish to enter your property, nails are bad for tires and tennis shoes. In the following video, this fellow uses 4" decking screws. He drills the strews through the plank then cuts off the screw heads with a hand-held grinder at an angle; this sharpens the top of the screw. He also sends these screws out the bottom of the plank to hold the plank steady and the sharpened new spikes aiming up. I think 2" x 6" work better.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...efense+nails+through+wooden+board&FORM=HDRSC3

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In America's urban areas, peaceful protesters are smashing windows and throwing Molotov cocktails.

If for some reason post SHTF you do not wish to use your shotgun on these "people", then spray them with high-pressure pumps that you normally use for pesticides. Use a mix that is composed of water and ammonia. Go heavy on the ammonia.

Problem here is that you could end up blinding your own self. Looters' lives do not matter, but your life and the lives of your children certainly do. Therefore, use respirator masks (military gas masks are of course great, just that they can be expensive). Buy some new respirators, extra filters, along with eye goggles that seal around your eyes.

This is when the BIG fire-extinguishers come into play. Assign a person or persons as fire brigade. Assign others to shoot the arsonists. If the looters are using Molotov cocktails, this is attempted murder.

You may wish to have garden-hose fittings for spigots inside your home. City riots are going to exponentially grow in area and in severity. The riots we are seeing today are a walk in the park. Post SHTF, entire neighborhoods could be targeted by gangs to be their source of food and fuel. The home-owners will be driven away ... if they are lucky. Rapes and murders will become the norm.

Have materials such as plywood sheets and thick-gauge plastic rolls (big and heavy rolls) to repair the outside of your home and your roof. You'll need nails and screws to secure these materials. Bring all garden bricks and all paving stones out of your yard and into your home to provide cover for incoming rounds from the looters. This action also denies the swarms of lower-order "humans" potential weapons to be used to smash your windows. One can sandwich bricks between layers of plywood as protection against handgun and "assault rifle" rounds. Not likely, but if looters have full-power rifles and heavy FML ammo (steel-core surplus ammo is out there), barriers to stop those bullets must be multilayered.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something city folks are not familiar with is a free roaming guard dog . City folks are used to residence following city laws and either having no dogs or keeping them inside their dwelling or in a fenced in area . My guard dog loves to kill . This has caused me some problems as she will roam for many miles looking for something to kill . I have to be cautious whenever a delivery truck may drive up because she will attack . Most likely time for the cowardly packs of communist to attack will be at night , a hard time to defend against a fast and blood thirsty dog . --- When the U.S. dog handler turned that dog on Bagdaddy they said he was screaming and crying before his death .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    dont you believe it, maybe not "guard" dogs but I have come across loose dogs whilst living in a city, especially nearer some of the more rougher areas.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Good luck drilling a ball bearing. your going to need a much better than average drill bit and lots of coolant.

Good ball bearings tend to be made from very very hard steel. That is why they are ball bearings.

Your going to need a much better than average industrial drill bit to do this task.

That type of work is usually done on a special machine...for example making the hole in a ball valve. Industrial machine work.

You are probably better off using the internals from a ball valve...the ball orifice itself....

And ball valves are usually for higher pressure uses...versus gate or globe type valves. Cha Ching!!!!

Free...no cover charge.

Watcherchris.
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No, I sure am NOT familiar with "free roaming guard dogs".

You'd better rein-in that mean dog. If it hurts someone, they'll come looking for its owner. Forget law enforcement. If that dog hurts a wife or a child, the husband/father is going to be coming for the owner. Angry men kill for a whole lot less.

Does the dog have an identifying collar? Does it have a dog tag? You may have given the dog its series of shots, nevertheless the dog must be marked as having been given its shots. Hunters kill feral dogs on sight -- especially if it looks like they are not going to down any game that day. An aggressive dog, or one that will not back down when shooed away, is certainly dead.

Living in a neighborhood. Went to get the mail. Some dog was watching me. I shooed it off. It did not budge. I went back in my house, got my pellet rifle, came out, and shot the dog. It yelped mightily and ran away. Had I been living in the county, I'd have gotten something considerably more powerful than an air rifle. No dog just stares at me without paying some price. I've burned-up neighbors' dogs. Either a dog is domesticated or it is a risk to humans.

This free-roaming dog that ostensibly belongs to you is more of a liability to you than an asset. Any communist invasion is statistically way beneath any threats that the dog itself presents to you.

If a dog alerts me and mine to a threat, that dog has done its job. The proverbial "junk-yard dog" requires a tall fence or a radio-controlled shock-collar perimeter.

If I'm a delivery guy and there's an unleashed/non-fenced-in mean dog about, I'm reporting it to my company, to the sheriff's department, and to the local Fish and Game commission offices.

Post SHTF, such a dog could readily join a pack of canines and cease considering you to be any part of its life. If the "domesticated" side of a dog goes missing, then it reverts to its wolf-behavior wiring set. Since the dog already "likes to kill", your authority over the dog is tenuous at best.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  43. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am going to have to vote with OG. A dog that likes to kill and is not under command is a HUGE liability. A dog under command and trained to attack is a benefit. A free roaming killer dog is just a target and I would not hesitate to put it down.

1. Old Geezer
      Y'know, it's not like somebody's given a choice in this matter. You can't just walk away from the reality that there is some fanged out-of-its-master's-control critter out and about venting its aggressive tendencies. Mean dog in the wilderness or on somebody else's property, people gonna shoot this dog. A game warden is going to shoot this dog. Too, a big bear might just chase the dog as it runs back home. "Oh, look what what the dog brought back home! He's made a friend!" We had a good dog; got it from friend of wife's who lived way back in the mountains; bear hunters had left it in the hills (rope collar); wasn't aggressive the dog, therefore new "owners" didn't shoot it, they asked if we wanted it, wife said yes. Wasn't a hunting dog, was a shepherding dog -- would shepherd our other dog. Gotta know how a dog is wired.

Old Geezer, Jan 25, 2021
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Am guessing you've got to be added to the list of pacifists headed by Bertrand Russell and Joan Baez. ......

...... understanding and agreeing that being "legal" is the best policy. The spray pump w/ ammonia and water is a legal deterant - I think. Just don't add that other under the sink ingredient. Otherwise, 1LT Harry Truman when in Europe with his artillery battery, will have his projectiles loaded with the stuff and both repel and eliminate the invaders.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Y'know, I swear that I'm a live'n'let'live sort'a guy. I'm not one to go looking for trouble. Bring crazy stuff to my house, then yes I can be decidedly without compassion.

The USA needs a big divorce. We don't need any kind of civil war. But if we don't divorce, there's gonna be rivers of blood. I think that that would be a bad thing.

Conservatives and Libertarians are the Liberty folk. I don't march around and tell people how to live their lives. But here's the thing, seems Leftists know what is best for me, they want to mandate / make-law how it is I should live my life and spend my hard-earned dollars. This is infuriating to almost 100 million Americans. Democrats get fed-up with their own.

So we in America should gravitate to our respective states based on our political persuasions and have us a divorce. As far as the military is concerned, we can chip-in together on this needed entity or not; whatever, but we'll maintain the force due to the insane state of the world.

There's gonna be NO reunification of America for a hundred years or more. Not going to happen.

My people fought to end slavery. Our last civil war took-out a huge chunk of the American population and left the former Confederate states in utter and total ruin. Want to start a race war on top of a civil war, say that your lives matter and the other folk, just call them all a bunch of racists. Here's another way to touch-off turbo-bigotry and start a race war; commit 6x the crime rate of the other folk, then blame the police for arresting you.

Divorce is bad. Rare is the truly amicable divorce. Yet we all know that some couples who will inevitably go for each other's throats if they don't split-up and go their own ways. Sad, but true.

The current rioting in our streets are now heading out into residential areas. Homeowners are being screamed-at (1:eek:o AM, even later) and told that they should abandon their homes. Why? Because they are white and thus "oppressors". Everything whitey earned was attained via privilege. My ancestors were "privileged" to be brought over from Europe to work the mines; some scraped-by up in the hills as farmers and subsistence hunters. What joy.

The above behaviors are going to go mega-violent. Do not assault, verbally nor physically, people in their homes unless you are willing to die for your cause.

Americans are going furious while we still have an economy. When things go bad, the fuse will burn down into the powder keg.

Nice people are going to go not-nice. When the Left learns that there indeed is a trip-point, it will be too late.

Defunding police and vetting National Guard troops is going to have some splendid outcomes. Watching cities burn beats the crap out of staring at fish tanks and sitcoms. We'll see which city inferno video-feeds get the best Nielsen ratings.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry but if they burn down any city that refuses to defend its citizens it needs to be and deserves to be burned to the ground and the city officials deserve to be strung up by their necks to the nearest tree. If you refuse to defend yourself then it is suicide but if you, as an elected official, deny people the right too defend themselves or to be defended by those that would then that is murder. We are now to the point in some areas that there are just not enough trees to get the job done. In the end I'm afraid that bullets will have to do the job. God bless and have mercy on those of you that live in these hell holes because your government has none to offer You.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I live on three fenced acres with my family in two houses. We have the property fenced with good heavy fencing and at night three big free roaming border collies patrol the property. I don't think that they would harm anyone but there is no way that I would sleep through their barking and I WILL hurt someone.

Right beside my bed is an 8 shot 12ga pistol gripped pump shotgun with one of those blind the crap out of you flashlights attached to the tube. I'm willing to give you a running start though. Most people head for the hills when they hear someone rack the slid on a pump shotgun. It is like a rattle snake rattle, when you hear it you KNOW exactly what it is and what is about to happen if you make the wrong move.

PS: If you make it into my house you will get bit. The big border collies are sweet but my Yorkie is the BOSS and defends her territory faithfully. Your ankles are in for a rough run!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.askaprepper.com/5-best-guns-to-have-against-looting-rioters/

"Before I go any further, let me say that it has become increasingly clear that those who are initiating those riots are not the peaceful demonstrators, who are exercising their First Amendment rights. Rather, a number of mayors, governors and police chiefs have come forth, stating that they have clear evidence that the riots have been started by imported muscle, not by local demonstrators.

"Nevertheless, these cities are in danger from the riots. There are those who are calling to move those riots out into the suburbs, because 'that’s where the problem lives.' Whether they are calling for a racial civil war or not, it seems clear that those voices are pushing to further the violence, expanding it out into areas where their perceived “enemies” live and work.

"At the same time, there have been a number of calls to 'defund the police;' to the point where protesters in Washington, DC painted that on the street in front of the White House. It would be interesting to follow the money trail on that and see who is behind that movement, but that’s not my purpose here. My purpose is that you and I are ready to defend ourselves, our homes and our families, if those riots move into our neighborhoods."

upload_2021-4-18_2-13-44.png
    upload_2021-4-18_2-15-20.png
    upload_2021-4-18_2-16-8.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Weapons for urban survival....

Here in the states with the insanity that currently reigns. I'd say a minimum of a 12 gauge shotgun and quickly move on to a MK18 (suppressed) or a MP5SD.

As far as the current protestors. One small group of concerned citizens with experience/training in discretionary warfare and sniping. Could easily put enough fear into these groups that the rioting would cease. Just an opinion.

Dale