Urgent How To Open A Can Without A Can Opener?

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by Blitz, Oct 14, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Just about all of my belongings are packed, waiting for to move. I was going to cook a salmon baked thing. I didn't realise the can doesn't have a ring pull. Naturally the can opener is packed. I can't even remember the last time I used it, to be honest.

Any ideas?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Since the can opener is already packed. I am betting your tools are already packed too. If you have a pocket knife you do NOT value, you can repeatedly drive the blade through the top of the can. You can use the cave man tool (big rock) to pound the knife. Murphy's Law kicking in.

Blitz likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks TMT. I couldn't get it opened when preparing dinner, so I had to use tuna, which had a ring pull. The only thing I have is a machete or a bayonet. Not too keen on using the bayonet, as it's WW2 and I don't want to damage it. I've got some basic tools, as I'm still chainsawing and whipper snipping. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find something else suitable. I had hoped I still had my husband's Army can opening tool but alas, that's packed as well. Doh!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A flat blade screwdriver and hammer (rock) will work also. Messy and a pain in the tush but can be done.

Blitz likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Excellent. I'll give it a go later today.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there was a female(wife, mother) on a TV show not long ago who couldnt open a can unless it had a ring pull, she just did not know how to use a can opener.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Get out of here! Are you serious? Wow. That's truly disturbing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep a stock of manual can openers, the old "butterfly" type, in various places and I can put my hand on one within a few seconds.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm usually the same. I had a couple in the drawer until I packed. There was a tornado in the next town last night. Some really nasty damage. I thought to myself, "yep, that's Murphy's Law. I'll be next and I've got next to nothing that is accessible."

I've been living like this since 5 July when I was supposed to move. I accidentally threw out my firearms licence and couldn't take my firearms into Queensland without it. So I had to order a replacement, which took 6 weeks. By that time, Queensland had closed its borders.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've moved house a few times in my life and there are always a few things needed to keep around us, not packed, for daily life until we get relocated, can openers would seem to be one of these things.

11. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I would agree that makes sense. Unfortunately sense didn't seem to factor into my packing. My son came up the fortnight before the date I was supposed to move to put all the boxes I had packed into my shipping container. I was confident that the move would go ahead. I didn't factor in my stupidity as to losing my firearms licence. That should be a rule of survivalism. Factor in stupidity!

In my defence, I am not good at logistics. My husband used to deal with the logic associated with packing and moving anywhere. It's not my forte.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Silly person, why haven't you simply used your chainsaw to open the can?!

Had you not already packed the tools, you could have used a vise to hold the can then revved-up the chainsaw and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR; presto chainsaw, open can!

13. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    You obviously haven't seen me with a chainsaw! Hahahahaha!

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no chainsaws for me, cant stand the things.

TMT Tactical likes this.