Using A Watch To Determine North/south

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Blitz, Nov 13, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Am reading a page on direction using a watch (in some military crap I found).

Something I would never have thought about, is having to consider whether daylight savings is used and needing to adjust, dependent on that aspect.

I can't even keep up with all the different time zones in Australia, as it is. In an emergency situation, if I hadn't read about this, I would have cocked it up significantly.

Do the US use different time zones? Showing my ignorance once again. I have no idea.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes the USA does use different time zones but once it hits the fan, all that crap will go out the window. Does anybody care if it is 9 am or 10 am or 8 am, once they do not have to go anywhere? People will get up with the sun and tend to call it a day when the sun goes down.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    Blitz likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the Eastern time zone.

American time zones:

[​IMG]

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. Now I know! Similar to Aus, it seems.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Very true.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Time wont matter much post SHTF, we wont be going to work or appointments and tasks will just take as long as they do. your belly will tell you when its time to eat.
    as for direction I have plenty of compasses, even a button compass will tell direction, not that I for one will be going far post SHTF I will probably only go 1 mile in any direction for scouting or foraging purposes.

Blitz likes this.
  7. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    No, it needs no adjustment it is determined by the hands and where the sun is - the time is immaterial.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  8. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I'm understanding that now. But why would they make a point of mentioning it from a military perspective though? (In the document, I mean).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    From a military perspective, knowing the time to make contact could be vital. POST SHTF, time won't matter to the average person.

EXAMPLE: A downed pilot would need to know the correct time that an emergency pickup was to take place. An hour late would be a disaster.

Blitz likes this.
  10. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks TMT. Makes sense now, especially in context with the example given.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    from a civilian sense post SHTF the amount of hours of daylight in a day will be important but the actual time will not.

TMT Tactical, Brownbear and Blitz like this.