Using Nature to Mend Injuries

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by lexinonomous, Jun 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to mending injuries, it's nice to have bandaids as an option, but what happens when you find yourself in a serious bind? What if someone breaks their leg and has absolutely no means of getting to a hospital. There are tons of things around us that are open for invention. It's just a matter of figuring out what to use in times of need.

What parts of nature would make for an instant first aid?
    How would you mend your broken bones without the proper technology?
    Could you use nature to mend your injuries?

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes if you know your plants and trees many things in nature heal the main thing is dont panic

lexinonomous likes this.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I'd have it in me to panic when met with a situation like a broken bone. I think I'd be able to figure things out with sticks and such. It wouldn't be the most comfortable fit, but it would do the job and do it well. Do you know of any plants that have good healing properties? I only know of basil, which is said to help with pain. I am also familiar with aloe vera, helping with burns. I'm not too familiar with plants and their properties.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Aloe Vera comes to mind. It is really good at healing. Take a leaf from your aloe vera plant. Slice it down the middle, longways. Scoop out the get and rub it into cuts or on sunburns. Any inflamed area. It is a miracle plant.

5. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think plants can cure a broken bone. I have to agree that, in some cases, technology is needed. For example, with broken bones,hospital is a must and I can't imagine a bone being cured without one.Although, I may be wrong, and there may be some plants, which do cure, but i'm not aware of, so if anyone knows, please let me know.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    To set a bone takes skill learned in very advanced medical training for survival i hope you can get a good course of training i learned mine in the marines my mrs has many years of school as a nurse i take courses all the time to learn new and refresh old i hope you do the same

7. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    There are many herbs that can be used to treat injuries:

Daisies, cabbage leaves [but you'd have to boil them first] and a number of others whose names I may not know. Thing though is there are no guarantees you'll find plants that can be used for treatment of injuries. The solution? Have your first aid kit in a survival backpack you take with you everywhere.

8. carkli23

carkli23 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    When in these kinds of situations, it's important to act quickly but not rashly. If someone were to break a bone, the first thing to do is create a makeshift splint. It's also important not to put weight on the injury. To create such a splint, first locate two sturdy sticks that are no longer than the injured limb. Line these up parallel with the limb on either side and fasten the splint with any sort of rope or twine you have (if you have nothing, a vine or something similar could maybe work). Taking steps such as this is important to prevent further injury.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    the human body fixes most things on it's own, including those bone fractures that you were talking about. (seriously people, how do you think human beings survived before we started building hospitals?!) Just keeping yourself well fed and hydrated and allowing yourself to rest... those will really cure most things though it will take some time. If you know what plans to use they can also help.

10. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    For broken bones, a temporary solution would be that I would tie sticks around the affected areas to act as support, just like a cast.

11. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    In the event of a compound fracture I think the outside of the wound would need to be treated as well with some kind of antiseptic to make sure infection doesn't set in. A splint would have to be used as well of course. It is important to do.