Using The Plantain Leaves And Seeds.

Discussion in 'Edible Plants, Berries, and Roots' started by Tumbleweed, Jul 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    First off, let me say that there are at least two plants that are called plantain. One is a green, leafy plant, and the other is a species of banana. We are going to discuss the green leafy plantain in this thread.
    There are two types of plantain leaves; but both of them are edible, and contain about the same properties and nutrients. One type has almost round leaves, similar to lettuce leaves, and the other type has long leaves more like a spear or dandelion. Both grow long stalks with the seeds on the top.
    I will post pictures of both types.

Plantain grows wild all over the United States, most of Europe, and some Asian countries, so there is a good chance that you might have seen it , possibly even growing in your yard.
    It has been used for centuries both as a medicinal plant and as a food, plus the seeds can also be used. The seeds are called "psyllium ", and may be found as part of a laxative or stool softener. Usually the husks are used as a non-digestive form of fiber in these products.
    When using the plant medicinally, it can be used as a poultice, or made into an herbal tea. The young leaves can be eaten raw in a salad, and the older (tougher) leaves are better when cooked into a soup or stew.

This is one of the first plants that comes up in the spring, and is often found growing in lawns, and even along roadways, or through cracks in the cement in parking lots.
    If you are picking the leaves to eat, be sure not to get them from somewhere close to a road where they can be contaminated by car exhaust or oil.
    I like to use a few of these plantain leaves to add extra vitamins to my green smoothies, and this seems like a great way to use them raw if they are a little too tough to put in a salad.
    IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0651.JPG