Using What's Around You

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by ziskasun, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's a great idea to take stock of everything around you and make an actual list of what is available and useful. I am talking about things in your house and outside of your house. What native plants are edible near you? What items are nearby that could be gathered and used for fuel? Are there any natural secluded "safe places" you could go to hide out for a while? I think it is best to gather this info before real crisis hits. I like knowing there is a plan because it sets my mind at ease a bit.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree. Keeping yourself updated about the availability of resources is a smart move. It's also a must for overall preparedness. I personally keep a notebook of my inventory and have rudimentary doodles of my surroundings with important places scribbled down. You can even seen where you are lacking in certain amenities, like for me, because I live in the city, edible plants outside are very hard to come by. There's vending machines, but in the event of a disaster, I'm pretty sure those will sell out quickly or become prime mugging locations. There's "green" zones, but those will attract people. Knowing these things, as you said, is key to survival.

3. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think using what's around you can be a very useful skill, no matter what the environment. Situational awareness has to be one of the most valuable assets a person can have in a survival situation. For example, if you end up in a dangerous situation with an animal or another human, knowing the best escape route, and anything that can be thrown/used as a weapon can be insanely valuable. You should always know your way out though.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree, everyone should become familiar with their surroundings & know what lies further afield.
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    for many years I have kept a map of my area, on it I note anything of worth in a crisis.

Kranky and Keith H. like this.
  6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    That's time and effort well spent!
    but isn't your motto "Stock it or do without it" so you should not need that map!

jeager likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    indeed, but if its lying around unused and unwanted post collapse then why not make use of it?

jeager and Keith H. like this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Be prepared now get it now it may not be there when you need it ! Yes after shtf and whatever has settled make use of whatever you find BUT BE READY BEFORE !

poltiregist likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    exactly.

10. Third Pig

Third Pig New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    What you mean is "situational awareness" taught to me in the military, albeit must be developed. Also always have an exit strategy which is inherent with situational awareness.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder how many go into the same stores week in and week out but do not know where the emergency exits are or even where the signs for emergency exits are located. For those that don't think about it, that is called situational awareness too.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, When I fly I can tell you exactly how many rows of seats are between me and ALL of the various exits. In the event of an emergency I will go "overland" to the exit even if it is dark or in a smoke filled cabin. I always know where the exits are and generally sit near one in a restaurant or bar with my back to the wall.

Knowing ahead of time where and HOW to make a fast exit can make the difference between getting hurt and getting away. I try to ACT and not just react. That means I have to know ahead of time where and how to go before I need to go.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    going into the same store on the same day or going to work the same route every day.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    HERE'S A GREAT IDEA....PLANT AN EATABLE PLANT, FLOWER, EVEN A GREEN VEGETABLE OR ROOT CROP, OR MEDICINAL PLANT EVERYWHERE YOU CAN...MARK WHERE THEY ARE, AND WHENEVER YOU GO BY THEM, CHECK THEM OUT. THIS WAY, IF YOU HAVE TO LEAVE IN A HURRY, GET STUCK OUT, OR ANY REASON AT ALL, YOU WILL HAVE SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE HAS OR KNOWS ABOUT.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    @coffee
    Just a gentle note to let you know that all caps is considered shouting at somebody. Use of the shift key is a nice way to cap your posts. Just an FYI.

Kranky likes this.