Utility Disaster Preparedness

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Oct 18, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    As an apartment dweller any disruption of utility service (water or power) and I'm pretty much screwed. I always keep at least 2 weeks worth of drinking water, however I don't have any water storage for personal hygiene or flushing the toilet :(. It the same situation with power, where the only backup is the building generators and I know for a fact that the fuel reserve will only held for less than 48 hours :(

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Don't go negative. Your environment/living arrangements "merely" requires an extra 2 cargo vests loaded with bottled water to leave the apartment building.

Pre-existing arrangements could involve various - plans - to evacuate building prior to the anticipated apartment building 48 hour electricity outage. The planning, of course, requires meshing with job obligations and related.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Like this one on cyber attacks, targeted not at the utilities office/business IT systems but at the OT (Operational Technology), “the machines, systems, and networks used to generate, transmit, and distribute power,”. https://dailyenergyinsider.com/infr...es-have-faced-a-cyberattack-in-the-last-year/

Winter is coming (for many of us), good time to check your alternate power, heating, and fuel resources.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    any cessation in power and water , especially water, will finish off any unprepared sheeple in a matter of days.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I live at 3rd floor so building evacuation isn't a big problem. I do however extremely worried about all my electronics including my crypto miners located elsewhere in the city :eek:. However any disruption of sanitation water supply (for flushing toilet and taking shower) will put me into a real miserable state.

So far my mitigation effort is I do rent a cheap room (not sure what you call it there for such arrangement) downtown at a place I knew for so long and the place has a little tropical jungle within the premise with fruit tree, vegetables, etc, and it has a water well (I'm currently writing this from that place).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Stored electronics display the basic attributes during disasters and routine times. Preserving delicate instruments and safely storing them has a basic "acid test". See if your electronics are insurable. If the insurance company declines to sell you a policy, your stuff is not secure. Seek new arrangements.

Major emergencies and disasters don't focus on shopping trip to Singapore. I'm familiar with being miserable. Showers are important. There are various camping models ranging from a gallon water bag with a shower head nozzle to battery-powered units with water pumps and heaters. ... not portable of course.

I am always loaded up on packets of pre-moisturized "towellettes" . There are many brands. These "disposable towel - etts" can help prevent fungus growth but will not enhance one's social life. This product and semi-bathing procedure is frequently called a "whore bath".

A cheap room in the States has many slang names.

Some terms used: "flop-house", motels with rugs on the walls of lobby area, highway rest area.

Whatever the situation you're working on, it's been experienced by others well prior to all the discussions here at MSF.COM. Many successfully did better than survive a miserable situation.

"Where one can live, one can live well." Anon.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Think about multiple uses for water. Shower, laundry, and dish water can be used to flush the toilet. Urine, if collected separately, can also flush the toilet. A friend of mine, with small water resources, would rinse his family clothing in clean water, wash the next load in the dirty rinse water, and flush the toilet with that water. He got 3 uses out of his water before it went down the drain.

You don't need potable water to flush a toilet, anything you can find will do.

TMT Tactical likes this.