Vegetarian Survivers.

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by tb65, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I saw two episodes of naked and afraid where vegetarians survived. In one episode of naked and afraid there was a woman who was vegetarian and she survived off of bananas and coconuts, while her partner ate rats for protein.The woman who survived off of the fruit was able to swim to her rescue ship and even turn back to save her partner who's hip popped out of place when swimming. The second episode was with a women who had knowledge of edible plants and a ex marine who was up for a challenge. The woman who had knowledge of plants ate red almonds and river cabbage, the man had a hard time finding any thing to eat and started lacking energy. The women had enough energy to hunt food for the man who was beginning to starve and they both were able to make it through the challenge. After seeing this, it made me think it is very possible for a vegetarian to thrive in a survival situation.

Mekada likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a few weeks on an island will be different to life post apocalypse, we will all be doing heavy manual labour and I very much doubt plants will provide enough energy for the tasks ahead.

Mekada likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Those vegetarian people did well because they were knowledgeable, thus they didn't just ate random edible stuff but vegetables, plants and fruits whiche they knew were a rich source of nourishment. A seasoned hunter also is capable
    to thrive in those circumstances, not only by eating game but foraging of course.

Mekada likes this.
  4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Personally, when the SHTF I would rather be eating fruit and veggies as I am not sure I could kill an animal. Now, should things get really bad, I would have to barter with someone who has extra meat.

tb65 likes this.
  5. evergreen

evergreen Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I prefer a vegetarian based diet, but I am not knowledgeable without a supermarket... so this is something to keep in mind for myself. But this is a valid idea, to have a manual around to compare plants assuming vegetation is readily available. I'm assuming I'd have to exist on existing supplies and start plants from seeds if necessary and go from there. And as for killing animals - it would hurt me... but to survive I doubt I would hesitate.

6. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    You watch some very weird shows, my friend. Anyway, I think fruit bearing trees would be the perfect target for people who are uninitiated in the art of hunting, and it would provide enough nutrients and fill your stomach enough until you get to your destination, or you get rescued. Berries are a good source, and they are abundant in most wilderness. But if you could, even hunting small rabbits and eating it would provide enough protein and energy to make you last longer in your trek, and you would probably get sick of eating nuts and berries for the better part of a month or so in the wilderness.

7. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If there are no plants around there will be no animals. I think the most important thing to worry about is getting vegetation to grow. If we eat all the animals and they have nothing to eat they will be extinct, then what will people eat? What I saw were these two women doing heavy manual labor helping build shelters and one even having to swim in the ocean to save her partner. As long as you can get protein from the fruit of a plant or the plant itself you would be okay.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes but they only did it for a few weeks! i'm talking about permanently, day after day after day, month after month, year after year!!
    I don't think a plant will give enough energy for that never mind how much you eat.
    and why would we eat ALL the animals? you think all meat eaters are greedy? we conserve the animals, we don't eat the breeding stock, you obviously know nothing about animal husbandry.

9. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree that nuts and berries are a good source of energy. The topic of this forum is about survival, and I'm talking about a popular survival show,
    I actually think your comment was pretty weird. I was basically saying in this post that vegetarians can make it in survival situations without eating meat, so I don't think they would get tired of eating nuts and berries and resort to eating small animals.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    vegetarians....eating small animals? I think you've just shot your argument in the foot!!!:p:eek::rolleyes:

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I hate being preachy about this vegetarian vs meat-eater stuff, but I expect any vegetarian will have to put their preferences aside when in survival situation. Yes, you can get high amount of protein etc. on a vegetarian diet, but it's more difficult and expensive, and possible only in the relative luxury of normal, civilized live. When there's an emergency, your're stranded in the mountains or jungles etc. there will not be such variety of meals to choose from! There's a reason humans were omnivorous, not vegetarian in the 'state of nature' ;)

12. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    As a vegetarian, I think I'd be just fine in a disaster situation not worrying about hunting for meat. If you have a knowledge of edible plants and can forage, I think staying vegetarian is doable even in a time when supermarkets might not be so super anymore. I mean, broccoli has more protein per ounce than beef. Nuts and beans have more nutrients than chicken. If you know what to look for in the "wild," then you can find non-animal food sources that will sustain you just fine (and potentially provide a more rounded diet too).

tb65 likes this.
  13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I actually think it is very smart to live a vegetarian lifestyle. There are many benefits to it and it will help you to be able to survive longer. Being a meat eater you might get more aggressive if you do not get your meat. I have seen this on many occasions and those were the moments you could tell that humans have the ability to turn into animals.
    Knowing which plants are edible would be an essential part of living as a vegetarian during and post-apocalypse.

14. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Vegetables and fruits are very important and very healthy to eat. However, if it is a post-apocalyptic situation, I'm pretty sure no one can afford to be too picky. Of course it is very important to know what kinds of veggies are the most rich in protein, because there might not be animals to eat. On the other hand, you may have to hunt or fish to get supper. In that case, it would be to dangerous to refuse. If the options are eat the available meat, or starve, I think they will pick eat.

15. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's hard for vegetarians to stay committed to their no meat rule when one is facing a post apocalypse situation. The lack of food supply and any solid source of food will make them succumb to being regular meat eaters. They don't really have much choice if they want to survive, i think it's easier to hunt animals than looking for fruits and vegetables during this rough time.

16. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think that you didn't read what I said correctly. Take a careful look at my statement again. I said I don't think they would resort to eating small animals. I think you just put your foot in your mouth :)

17. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I find it funny how you added your own words to my post. That was very mature o_O

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    was just talking about this to the wife, the trouble with nuts and berries is that they have a very short season, and you have to get to the nuts before the squirrels do!

Arboreal likes this.
  19. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I probably already said that I do not like to be put in groups like this and I prefer to say that I base my diet on veggies and fruits. I do not like rules and I certainly do not like to make rules for myself. I would always go for my diet because I feel better or should I say I feel awful when eating meat. If I have to, and sometimes even now I eat fish or chicken, I would eat meat but fruits and veggies are easier to find sometimes and there are roots and berries as well an you do not have to set a fire.

20. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I only eat planty things and would be quite pleased to live off of them in the long term. The biggest loss is the avocado though :( I have to imagine frozen guac would be legendary to have a stockpile of.

Anyways, squash and other melony things would pretty much do it for me outside of sugary uppers. I can eat pure raw plants, already have for various spans of my life, so I haven o issues there :)

21. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it is totally doable to be a vegetarian survivor, but you have to know what is edible and what isn't edible. If you don't do your research then you will end up ill and holding back your partner. I have to give this show another go. I just thought it was so ridiculous with all of the blurring out of the nudity.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the thing with a veggie diet is, okay it might be fine for now in the good times, but post catastrophe we will ALL be doing a lot of hard physical labour just to survive never mind thrive, and I don't think one can sustain that kind of work on a pure veggie diet.

23. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Survival is about being able to take whatever is thrown at you. Doesn't matter what your preference is, if there is an abundance of one or the other, you take what you can get. You don't get picky and all of a sudden starve yourself because you prefer filet mignon.

As far as the show Naked and Afraid goes, I watch it religiously and save it on my hard drive. You forgot to mention that one episode where the vegetarian was starving and she too ate a piece of cooked mouse. It's all about the knowledge you have and the ability to take advantage of it in the wild. If you know how to spot certain species of edible plants, you will mostly likely thrive in a scenario where there is no animals to hunt, and vice versa.

24. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    That's exactly right, and something I say as a Vegetarian myself. I would have to do what I have to do to survive and if that means taking a big bite of Cow, well hey, it's not something I'm good with (at the moment, who knows how survival mode will change me) but it's something I'll just have to do.

lonewolf likes this.
  25. Arctic21

Arctic21 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's possible for a vegetarian to survive depend on where they are. If you have a alot of edible plants around that provide enough nutrition you should be fine for awhile. The situation would be different if you were forced to live off of rations that had meat infused into them.

26. MrsVanWinkle

MrsVanWinkle New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I have wondered about this a lot because I am a vegetarian. I became one about five years ago and don't really have plans to go back to eating meat, although I don't have any moral issues with carnivores. I think that survival in an apocalyptic situation is possible for a vegetarian, but preparedness would be vital. Learning about edible plants, storing food, and possibly even learning how to garden and cultivate an orchard of fruit and nut trees would be good. There is a lot to think about. However, if necessary, I would go back to meat because there is a difference between surviving and surviving and thriving.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the problem with plants is they are not available 12 months of the year, what do you do in the winter when nothing is growing? in some places these will be under several foot of snow.

28. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Being a vegetarian is a handicap one don't need in times of hardship!

I have little time for those who handicap themselves!

29. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Being a vegetarian and trying to survive out in the wild can really leave you at a disadvantage since there usually aren't as many fruits or vegetables to acquire depending if you were lucky to find some. I would greatly advise these vegetarians to be prepared to suck up their beliefs and do something they will regret later but is all meant for their survival. Sometimes in life, we eventually have to do things we don't want to do and the same goes for surviving in the wild. A single act can make a big difference. And not acting at all can usually lead to death. I recommend that you vegetarians remember this when you are too drowned up in your beliefs.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    living on veggies for a short time for a tv programme with a film crew and doctor in attendance is very different from real life post SHTF.
    in a long term survival situation you are going to need meat to give you strength for all those physical tasks you will need to be doing, a veggie diet isn't going to crack it, we are omnivores after all.

31. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have also seen some episodes of that National Geographic documentary of Naked and Afraid (pardon me if I am wrong on the word). But in the woods, I would say that it is an even bet between a vegetarian and an carnivore. The impression in a forest are the plants that can provide food especially the fruit trees. Like what you said, bananas and coconut. Thats' true. But in a real forest, there would be no such thing because banana is a crop and it doesn't grow in the wild, same thing with coconut. So again, it would be an even fight - the vegetarian would try to find food among the plants while the non-vegetarian will check on the animals and insects.

32. C Grey

C Grey New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I believe that the survivors had the ideal situation being next to bananas and coconuts since as a raw vegan I have seen people survive off of bananas and water alone. There is a lot of protein in plants and fruit contrary to belief. Meat of course is a source of protein, but not always protein the body can actually use. I think it is very possible for vegetarians to survive as long as (as stated above) they know what they are eating. Every bad plant that grows has another plant to reverse it's affects to keep balance.

33. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have family experience with this subject and my conclusions are.
    One can exist in a survival situation as a veggie! but to thrive ones diet needs a good supply of meat on a regular basis, family experience has taught me that, not
    some text in a book or on a screen!
    In a perfect easy and peaceful world being a veggie will get you by! more so if you are female or want to be!
    Meat maketh the man! Never met a veggie "MAN" yet but I have met many male veggies! but being skinny weak and all round pathetic, these males have lost the right to be called "MEN"

34. cipkamarco

cipkamarco Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    I saw that episode too, it was kind interesting for me, because I'm a vegetarian too.

Mekada likes this.
  35. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I would say yes it is possiable to survive as a vegetarian in a survival situation just as you can survive in real life off of plants. It also depends on where you live. I live in the south so we have plants year around down here and it's just easier to find than meat, although we have plenty of animals down here hunting is not for everyone.

36. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think if you know what to eat and those types of vegetarian foods are available you might be better off with them, however, in most of these Naked and Afraid episodes people are just looking for whatever they can find to eat, and don't have the luxury of fruits and tropical berries and such. I think if a vegetarian is going to go on this show they better look to see what is avaialble first.

37. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    If you are properly prepared, you can buy a lot of vegan/vegetarian survival food and stock up. There are companies out there who are dedicated to vegan survival foods. Of course, these companies will charge you more than average for the meals but it may be worth it to some people. If you are a hardcore vegan/vegetarian you will need to be prepared or you will die hungry. At the end of the day, if you're starving you will eat whatever is around to keep you alive.

38. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Vegetarians are good as there is less competition for the best food!:D
    But I will still be eating my share of those veggies as I will still need fibre! as getting clogged up is not good!

Mekada likes this.
  39. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    No offense but that is a typical female attitude.
    I taught defensive shooting and several ladies dropped out saying they could never shoot anyone.
    EVEN IF THEIR KIDS WERE THREATENED!!

No spine. No spine at all. No survival instincts either.

My thoughts are that in a shtf I'm not bartering anything with a vegetarian.
    Hard choices for hard times and requires toughening up.
    Snowflakes are going to have a rough time.

Mekada likes this.
  40. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

I have no idea why t-v watchers are so gullible.
    Those naked and afraid people are surrounded by a camera crew and people trained in first aid.
    AND a helicopter standing by to rescue the naked and stupid that get paid serious bucks for the
    "performance".
    Some actually are smart enough to go on speaking tours and tell the experiences for large bucks.
    No way are the t-v producers going to let someone get hurt badly or die on that show.
    It's entertainment don'cha'know?

The reason why humans have bigger brains than other primates is because we learned to eat meat.
    Protein.
    Go eat a carrot.

Mekada likes this.
  41. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha

When the time comes I don't think we can be picky... But we have to be careful. Food poisoning will be hell when SHTF. I know in Zimbabwe people have eaten pets and wild birds and whatever else they could find. I believe in densely populated areas competition for food will be even worse...

42. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    And each other!

Mekada likes this.
  43. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Has it ever occurred to members here that native Africans and Native Americans were still
    throwing spears and shooting arrows to survive when
    Chinese invented gun powder and had an organized society? Europeans were developing a society
    and inventing new gadgets when the rest of humanity was living as they had for thousands
    of years.
    Native Americans were chipping flint for tools, weapons, though metal was available
    if they just had knowledge of how to get it out of the rocks.

But then the Zulu handed the colonial Brits their arses at Isandlwana on the Natal border in South Africa on Jan 22, 1879.
    The Brits greatly underestimated the number of ticked off Zulu's.

It made a great movie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...iors-who-defeated-British-to-be-honoured.html

Veggie people can suck on a carrot while I eat squirrel and rabbit and venison.

(with my carrots and green beans)

By the by. One can DIE eating just rabbits for protein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

Add squirrel and be healthier.
    Squirrel broth has long been used to help sick people recover from fever.
    Save a nut, eat a squirrel.:D

Mekada likes this.
  44. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    Interesting... Few people know about the part that Mahatma Ghandi played during that war as a British officer and the praise he received for slaughtering thousands. The British Empire threw much more troops at the Afrikaners during the Anglo boer war. Although we ultimately lost they had no answer to the staunch defense that my ancestors provided. During those times we learned to live of the land and survive in horrible conditions and we will again... These lands have seen a great deal of bloodshed over the years but the coming days will make those days seem far better.

45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we humans are omnivores, we can eat meat and plants, not just one or the other.
    vegetarianism or veganism is a life style choice nothing more.

46. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I guess it all depends. Vegetarian or not you got to have the necessary knowledge to survive. It can go both ways really. If I was a vegetarian I'd seriously consider eating meat if I found myself in a survival situation. It's not about principles it's about surviving. Sometimes a few sacrifices got to be made. I guess the bottom line is: Are you prepared to do what's necessary? No matter how unpleasant or how much it goes against your beliefs it's your survival at stake here. How much are you willing to overlook what you believe in, to survive?

47. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Being a survivor, you need to adapt to your environment. Knowledge of edible fruits and vegetable is a skill to master and is very useful. Vegetarian or not, your versatility and quick thinkung can help you survive.

48. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it has to be a balanced diet, too much of one or the other would have consequences.

49. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Well personally I'm a vegan (yeah, yeah I know you're all tired of hearing that phrase but how else do I start my point?) and in a disaster scenario where growing conditions for crops are impacted, I don't know if I could survive with this diet. But I mean given that conditions are good enough to allow for a garden, I could easily survive since currently almost my entire diet comes from my garden already. Plus with some knowledge of foraging such as they had, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to survive and thrive.

50. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    My degrees aren't in nutrition so I'm not even close to an expert on a proper diet.
    I'm not even close to being over weight and my blood work come back within a
    normal healthy range.
    I eat meat, always have, but prefer fish over read meat.
    I'll sure chomp down on a beef fillet medium rare however.
    Man didn't evolve a bigger brain by eating carrots.
    "Learning to hunt was a decisive step in human evolution. Hunting necessitated communication, planning and the use of tools, all of which demanded a larger brain. At the same time, adding meat to the diet made it possible to develop this larger brain."

But to each their own.

We are talking about survival, that's the title of this forum.
    I live in a part of the world with winter.
    Ya, know, cold, snow, plants don't grown very well at minus 25 F.
    I'll eat a rabbit, squirrel, deer, groundhog, ..............................................

I know how to process and preserve foods by a variety of mean.
    Mankind didn't evolve into modern humans by eating only carrots.

ALL processed foods are devitalized.
    I don't care how carefully processed, the processing destroys essential
    nutrients.
    Processed white flour should be illegal.
    White bread is not healthy.
    But have a nice baloney sandwich if you like.
    I take food supplements.
    NOT VITAMINS BUT SUPPLEMENTS.
    That drug store multi vitamin/mineral pill is junk as in JUNK, as in useless.
    My fiance has been a nutrition expert for over 30 years.
    A person can overdose on One-A-Day vitamins.
    You'd have to eat 'em like candy however.