New Member Virginian Preparing For Hurricane Evacuation

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Pragmatist, May 11, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Was researching an item of PPE - personal protection equipment; a premier hard hat,-I stumbled upon...and just signed up for the valuable info here.

I'm from eastern Virginia in one of the backwater counties between Hampton Roads and the Northern Virginia Autonomous Oblast. In retirement, I'm into emergency preparedness no less so than decades ago.

Because of the rapid transition to electronic records from paper, there's a weakness in records management, from medical records to proof of ownership. Am planning to scribble some notes here to augment this aspect of preparedness -especially when involving hurricane evacuations. Yes, ZipLoc and Hefty brand plastic bags are involved. Other brands are out there.

Meanwhile, still looking for a hard hat / helmet with neck protection. Only 1 smoke evac mask I know of can fit over a helmet and I do want to vacate my shack in the woods in safety. Much research still pending.

In closing, I've converted my MedicAlert bracelet into a teenage girl's charm bracelet. One "charm" - a zipper-pull with a file folder label on it-reads: Blood Type A, Rh DEET (tick repellent).

Looking forward to learning and contributing.

ET - End of Transmission

2. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Check out "Hello My Fellow Virginians"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Check out "Hello My Fellow Virginians"

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here! Looking forward to your posts.

Longtime 'cane veteran here. (Moved to landlocked BOL/retreat years ago from deepest, darkest South Louisiana.)

I don't miss hurricanes, not one bit!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Something we actually differ on. I love class 1 and class 2 hurricanes. They give a great show and I have ridden several out in my van. The only thing I make sure to do is get away from possible storm surge.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    The first twenty or so years in 'cane country was exciting, and hurricane parties and cookouts were tons of fun...but I got burnt out on hurricanes during the next couple of decades. Katrina finished me for good (went back home to visit, and all my plans--and backup plans--to escape the monster went kaput). I will never go back home to visit during hurricane season (between the months of June thru the end of October).

The most tiresome part of hurricanes was the evacuation part...and losing jobs because of evacuating too soon, or too often. For the most part, I stayed put, but the bigger 'canes required more aggressive plans.

Nope, don't miss the hurricane drama at all.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Son of Liberty and Grizzlyette Adam,

My vote goes to Grizzlyette.

There's another...frequently unmentioned...dangerous aspect of hurricanes.

Besides the flooding danger, ... ... ... after the place calms down and the sky is just beautiful, go out to a favorite restaurant. The person next to you had walked through flood waters in the same shoes next to you. The shoes are vectors of germs and worse. Carry this scenario into other scenes: in line at Walmart, at the Interstate Highway rest area,...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Flies are one of the most dangerous carriers of disease during the aftermath of most disasters...and prepping for this is deserving of a whole 'nother thread.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  9. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Interesting scenario. I have been through many, many hurricanes including 4 direct hits in one year(2004). You scenario has never materialized in any of the dozens of hurricanes I have been through. I could see your scenario arising from class 3-5 storms, but I leave those behind. I like storms, I am not stupid. lol

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us. I don't think we will ever have to worry about a hurricane, but we have our fair share of natural disasters to deal with. None of them are any fun. Welcome aboard.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Appreciate the warm welcomes.

TMT Tactical likes this.