W.h.o. Declares Congo Ebola Outbreak A Global Emergency

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Sourdough, Jul 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    EXCERPT:

BREAKING NEWS: The #Ebola outbreak in #DRC constitutes a public health emergency of international concern, citing concerning geographical expansion of the virus: WHO Director-General, @DrTedros following the IHR Emergency Committee’s recommendation #alert

— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) July 17, 2019

2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump to jump

3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    What is going on with the EBOLA outbreak?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Shall we take up a msf.com collection or perhaps just a bake sale.

What's going on in DR Congo (When Muhammed Ali was there for his "Rumble in the jungle", it was Zaire. Now it's improved as a republic. It's also democratic) reminds me of Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: do the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    One of the reasons why it is a global thing now:

The International Health Regulations Emergency Committee on #Ebola in #DRC provided the following public health advice: No country should close its borders or place any restrictions on travel and trade.

Note, this is why they stated the no-restriction on travel/trade. This is understandable but at the same token, it also increases global risk. >sigh<

a3215eb705a4262a08c45142776de556.jpeg

Radar, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was listening to NPR radio while driving home (National Propaganda Radio) and they were in full "Don't oppress the Congo," screech mode. Then NPR went on to report how medical crews working in Congo to fight Ebola were being killed.

My mind turned to ruminations on what a happy adventure New York, New York would have with Ebola were it to visit the Big Apple.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A Pandemic can spread worldwide so quickly these days.
    5b230741038bb8da13347d07a4e3e3a2.jpeg
    Keith.

9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Great reason to be living in the wilderness.

Radar, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.
    Keith.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    So true! You can reduce your risk by being where you are, but (and it's a big BUTT)...

Bird flu can hit you via infectious bird crap. The virus can ride in microscopic traces of bird crap clinging to the bottom of your shoes, or in your garden soil, on plants (even if it "looks" clean, it can have residue that is not easily seen or cannot be disinfected), or on anything that came from outside your cabin... and can get ya.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will keep prepping but if your number is up, move to the head of the line.

Radar likes this.
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am long past ready to go.........I just don't want to go to hell......it is to hot here.

14. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL! Have we had this conversation yet? (I honestly don't recall...but if not, I guarantee you would be pleasantly surprised.) PM me if you'd like...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Grizz,

Well said !

Now, just add mosquitoes.

16. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    ...and fleas, ticks, flies, and lice, oh my!

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  17. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Why does that sound like crazy people ideas? And they are the ones in charge. And they had to be sure and get that little advertisement in there for u n i c e f, didn't they?
    Back in the early 1900s there was a pandemic of influenza. Some of my lateral ancestors died from it.
    Taken from https://articles.extension.org/page...-1900-spanish-flu-asian-flu-and-hong-kong-flu
    "The Spanish influenza pandemic was an unprecedented catastrophe. It is estimated that 20 to 40 percent of the worldwide human population became ill and that more than 50 million people died. In the United States, approximately 675,000 deaths from this pandemic occurred between September 1918 and April 1919. People died very quickly. Some people who felt well in the morning became sick by noon and were dead by nightfall. Those who did not succumb to the disease within the first few days often died of complications such as pneumonia.

One of the most unusual aspects of the Spanish flu was its ability to kill young adults. The reason for this remains uncertain. Mortality rates were high among healthy adults, as well as among the high-risk groups (children and the elderly). Mortality was highest among adults 20 to 50 years old."

Those in my family line who died were three young adult women, my grandmother's sisters.

18. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/drc/2018-august.html

Above is a public CDC statement. Above date 2018. It's the same old event, current version

Note at end: "health education". This translates to trips to Africa for non-scientists/health care field workers who want to take trips to Africa. What's the purpose of government of DR Congo and WHO ?!

19. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    "North Kivu and Ituri provinces are among the most populated in DRC. These provinces share borders with other countries (Rwanda, South Sudan, and Uganda) with frequent cross-border movement for personal travel and trade. The provinces have been experiencing a prolonged humanitarian crisis and deteriorating security, which are limiting public health efforts to respond to this outbreak. The US Department of State has identified this part of the country as a “do not travel” zone because of crime, Ebola, and kidnapping."
    I found that within your linked website. So, the u.s. dept of state says no travel while IHREC says don't close borders. Let's share the love and kill off as many populations as possible.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
  21. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was reading Ebola hemorrhagic fever stories today. I began copying down links. The following link groupings are not in any particular grand order. Apologies.

However, if you are wanting to do some more reading on the latest Ebola outbreak, then here we go:

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/more-...dc-nyc-quietly-brace-for-congo-migrant-surge/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ebola-epidemic-in-congo-deemed-a-global-health-emergency-11563386422

“And although more than 160,000 people have been vaccinated against Ebola, many residents still distrust outsiders and don’t believe that the virus is real. Since the start of the year, aid agencies have documented more than 170 attacks on Ebola workers in the mineral-rich Ituri and North Kivu provinces, which are home to dozens of armed militias.”

“The outbreak, which was first declared on Aug. 1, has already claimed at least 1,676 lives, while 2,512 people have been infected, according to the Congolese health ministry. That makes it the world’s second deadliest after the 2014-16 Ebola epidemic that killed some 11,300 people in West Africa.”

“The U.N., which has over 20,000 peacekeeping troops in Congo, created a new Ebola emergency coordinator in May to tackle security threats, but attacks have continued. Since June, more than 300,000 people have fled violence in Ituri, one of the affected provinces, according to the U.N.”

“At other times the violence against health teams has come from residents who do not want their loved ones taken to treatment centres or buried in accordance with guidelines aimed at reducing Ebola transmission.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...stern-drc-democratic-republic-congo-dies-goma

“The number of people moving around or through the zone worst hit by Ebola has been a big challenge for health services. Attacks against health workers and treatment facilities have also been a problem. On Monday, two Ebola awareness workers were killed in the affected zone.

“Eastern DRC is home to a variety of armed groups, and Mai-Mai militia fighters are active near the hardest-hit towns. Health teams have been unable to access areas affected by violence to vaccinate people at risk of infection and to bring infected patients into isolation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/15/ebola-virus-reaches-congolese-city-of-goma

"The Ebola virus has reached the Congolese city of Goma, home to 2 million people and a transport hub for central Africa, for the first time since an epidemic began in the Democratic Republic of the Congo nearly a year ago."

Ebola vaccines:

https://www.statnews.com/2019/07/17/debate-testing-second-ebola-vaccine/

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/07/drc-stick-just-1-vaccine-ebola-outbreak

Russian Ebola vaccine:

https://tass.com/world/1068865

Year 2014 Ebola outbreak killed 11,300 people.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/eb...MIwLPG5u--4wIVxsDACh1D_ALqEAMYAiAAEgJ9KvD_BwE

"Physician and public-health expert Paul Farmer has written that 'Ebola is more a symptom of a weak health-care system than anything else,' adding that with proper supplies and trained personnel, the disease could have a 90 percent cure rate."

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/treatment/index.html

Old Geezer's input: Having a 90% survival rate would involve developed nation high-tech multi-bed hospitals and the ability to distribute supplies to all local hotels and motels which have been converted to quarantine make-do mini-hospitals. It would also require that the Ebola be rather well contained. For me, that would be rather difficult to imagine.

If Ebola gets loose and it is of the 2o14 mortality strength level, then the world has itself a very NASTY problem. Let's say it only kills a few tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of Westerners, don't'cha think maybe, just maybe, there might just be some panicking going on. I do.

22. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Nothing drastic will happen until it hits our shores (a bit too late ) and then you will see an out cry to quarantine. That region should be put an a travel lock down and have medical screening to travel outside the region. But that would be inhumane and racist. So we need to have it here.

Radar likes this.
  23. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    they are also justifying open borders by saying that to close them would mean people would use illegal means to cross borders and that would be unsanitary, unsafe, unhealthy, etc. etc.
    haha. ha. hahaha. Idiots.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/ebola-democratic-republic-of-the-congo

Good morning all,

Above link provides some traveler advice if/when going to the infection zone of DR Congo. The info can provide thoughts on how to address epidemic areas you might get caught in, whether where you are currently at or during a planned evacuation.

I STRONGLY recommend you get a 22nd (twenty-second) professional opinion prior to getting the link's referenced "investigational vaccine".

There is a study site at NIH Bethesda, Maryland (nearest parking is Goma, DR Congo).

I STRONGLY recommend if going to the epidemic area or non-epidemic areas of DR Congo to avoid shisk kah bob bush meat.

Meanwhile, back at home sweet home, contemplate how you'd personally handle a mass medical emergency.

Radar likes this.