Watching tutorial videos

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Damorale, Jun 9, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    On youtube there are a lot of tutorial videos that can teach you all manner of things, including life hacks and survival tips. I was wondering if anyone here watches any of those videos? Some popular ones to check out are The Armoured Cockroach, Black Scout Survival and Camping Survival.

Newbies in particular can get a lot of help and inspiration from videos like these, I think.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are some good prepping videos on youtube, "Roach" has some interesting stuff. I particularly like southernprepper1.

Prairie Dog and Damorale like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Check out Keith videos up there. He actually lives as a woodrunner instead of doing it for just sport, surviving with skills which date since XVIII century.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Some stuff is good some is woefull and some is downright dangerous!
    You can and usually get the lot in any video!
    Keiths are good for woodslore!

Watch a lot take what you need from them!
    ALL beginners in Survival rush in and make many costly mistakes and sometimes waste a heap of money I know I did!

Be in a hurry to aquire knowledge be slow to aquire goods!
    Many things seem good in theory but are not in reality!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, appreciated.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have seen many National Geographic documentaries on TV about survival trainings but this thread has made me curious about looking at the youtube videos and checking them out.
    You probably can learn a lot from watching them but still I agree that you have to be in the real situation to actually know if it works for you personally or not.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    It is like fire lighting! there are hundreds of different ways to light a fire
    Watch how they work but pick just a few methods and actually have a go at them, do they work for you?
    People get fascinated with the firebow! but unless you have the right materials you get no fire!
    and sometimes getting those materials is harder than finding a discarded bic lighter!

9. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am learning so much from you here on this forum @Keith H. ! And I didn't realise I was reading posts by a YouTube celebrity ;) 10,000 subscribers is brilliant.

For me, I enjoy watching YouTube videos to learn things as I can pick and choose what I learn about and only watch videos that are relevant to my interests. Longer documentaries often include long sections about things I am not interested in or feel are less important.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I subscribed to Keith's channel some time ago.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Damorale, much appreciated, I did not know that I had 10,000 subscribers! I must be doing something right then.

Thank you for the subscription Lone Wolf.
    Keith.

lonewolf and Damorale like this.
  12. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks you guys. I'll go have a look

Keith H. likes this.
  13. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the youtube chanel recommendations, i'll definitely check them out. It's a great idea to watch these videos, it's easier to learn if you have a guide and you can master these skills quickly by watching them over and over.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I love watching videos! Thanks to youtube I have learned many valuable skills for free. I learned how to play instruments, basic french and portuguese, makeup, cooking tips, photography, etc. It just is an amazing tool to have at our disposal.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, it was because of YouTube that I was introduced into survivalist communities. I think it was five or so years ago when I came across this series of videos about a 50-year-old man trying to survive for weeks in the wilderness somewhere in Montana. I can't fully remember his name and his channel has been deleted nearly over a year ago. Anyway, after watching his videos, I got interested in what he's doing to the point that I started going into the mountains on my own. So yeah, YouTube can be a great source of tips and tricks about surviving anything.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Excellent advice Arkane.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. shadyjff1

shadyjff1 Active Member
      33/50

Blog Posts:
    The Canadian Prepper is what I watch. He makes a lot of sense. For skills I subscribe to native survival. He was on the TV show Alone. He has some skills.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  18. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Videos ok they. Show BETTER TO DO GET OUT AND DO LEARN HOW FROM VIDEO BUT THEN GO DO WHAT YOU LEARNED BEST WAY TO LEARN IS TO DO IT !

19. shadyjff1

shadyjff1 Active Member
      33/50

Blog Posts:
    I do find that it looks a lot easier on YouTube then going out and doing it. I do keep trying until I get it. That’s half the fun.

20. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I usually try once a year to do a run through of all the different methods of making fire then go out and try them out!
    Missed this year due to total fire ban where I usually go!
    need to pull my finger out next year!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  21. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    The videos on youtube are a good starting point. But we do not have to rely solely on these, it would be ideal to have a small note book, which would mark the most important ideas that we will need during a hike. All this will only materialize when we need to use them, as the Romanian word says: "practice is the mother of learning."

Keith H. likes this.
  22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.
    Keith.

23. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    YouTube tutorial videos has been educational and learning-centered because of the method used in explaining how goals are being made or achieved. Tutorial videos has made a lot of contribution to the advancement of knowledge and sharing of skill to people for faster understanding.

24. Zeyad

Zeyad New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    There's a lot of small videos on YouTube to help you gain a bit of experience so that once you're out there you aren't completely lost but the real experience comes from actually going out there and putting yourself in that position that's when you start thinking outside the box and start to create your own methods of survival

Keith H. likes this.
  25. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  26. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Certainly this is a very valid, useful and interesting practice because the learning is always increasing (if you know who to watch, obviously because there are lots of crap available too :confused:).

I've learned a lot of things from watching these kinds of tutorials. ;)

27. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

28. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I've watched lots of tutorials and have got a lot of useful information from them especially from You Tube. Just recently I bought a survival plan from the internet that gives you step by step instructions for building your own indoor gardening system that includes fresh water and even fresh fish. All information has step by step instructions on how to do different things like bullet proof your home, build your own power supply( with video instructions). The internet is a huge resource to help you go off the grid, plan survival techniques, etc. You can share this information with your family and friends.

29. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    For cooking in wilderness you can watch almazan kitchen. And they have some good videos on some basic cooking too. I have found that sometimes too much junk-food type videos are not worth watching. As they don't apply in the wilderness and the outdoor. I think it'd be fair to say that tutorial videos don't have much such scenario specific videos are not much available. But yeah no one channel can cover all of that.