Water filter

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Nero-Bianco, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Nero-Bianco

Nero-Bianco New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    What's the best way (if there is one) to filter water in a survivalist situation?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The easiest way is to carry some form of water filter with you. Failing that filter water through a piece of your clothing & then boil it. If you are not carrying a kettle, you can use animals skin & the hot rock method; water in rock pools & hot rock method; clay dip in ground & hot rock method.
    Keith.

3. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've seen some gums that dissolve in water and it purifies them. It's a military pill I believe, but I'm not sure if it's obtainable in stores. But if it is, then it can change the way you obtain your pure water, as it can purify any type of water. The more pure you need, the more pills you add in.

4. carkli23

carkli23 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    A new product that I've seen that really seems to work is the LifeStraw. I've seen demo videos of it online, and basically it's a straw that you put directly into the source of water (river, stream, etc.) and drink from, and it purifies it using an internal filter. It's supposed to filter out like 99.999% of bacteria and other organisms, but cannot filter chemicals (chlorine in pools, for example). If it actually does what it claims at the cheap price of $15, then it sounds like survival must-have. Definitely something to look into.

5. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You can always use a clean white sock or other piece of white cloth in which you layer larger rocks, smaller rocks, and sand. Place the sock above a container to catch the water. Filter the water through the sock. Repeat if the water is not clear. You do want to be sure to purify the water after you filter it, though. And, yes, boiling the water is a simple, yet effective way of purifying the water. Another way is to add four drops of bleach and let it sit for 30 minutes. I always carry a small tube of bleach when camping for water emergencies.

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    It really depends on where you are. If you are at home, a large water filtration system would be best. We're setup with the Big Berkey and really like it a lot. In the field, there are various portable water filtration systems (e.g., bottles, LifeStraw, etc.). If you have none, then you will need to improvise. There are various guides on doing just that, depending on what resources, if any, you have.