Weather, Natural Disasters,..

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Apr 28, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/28...aced-three-times-more-people-than-war-in-2019

Good morning all,

Per...

Maintain perspective.

Article has an interesting picture of Albania with a CAT tractor.

US organizations know how to handle evacuation centers and shelters during this COVID quarantine. It's not knowledge. It's political will and funds - much funding required.

Some of us are finalizing preparations for emergency sheltering during the soon to arrive hurricane season. One good preparation would be a trip to Big Sky Country, Montana.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just one more reason I moved out of Kentucky, that and the white fluffy stuff. Folks in Kentucky thought I was crazy for having lived in earthquake country. I thought they were crazy for living in tornado country.

DirtDiva likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Tornado report continuing from above

I found this video very informative:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    weather now can be very deadly,

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Power companies are not saying how long it will be before they can get the electric power back on. One Kentucky report said that traffic lights could be out for weeks. Telephone poles have been snapped like twigs and power lines have been sent to who knows where. Short story, if you do not have a generator and fuel for them put back, then get out the candles and the kerosene lamps. Better have iron cookware to cook over a fire.

Mainly rural areas have been hit, therefore it is my expectation that these people will pull together to rebuild. Had this happened in a major urban area, I would be searching news articles on how much looting had begun.

I think over 20,000 households around Memphis are without power. We'll see how that turns out. In Memphis, one can travel three blocks away from some civilized area and end up in Mogadishu. I know. Been there. Done that ... several times. Experienced the same in Savanna. Very, very many cities are now exactly the same or worse.

Maybe people who were not hit but living in that region will start getting very serious about putting back survival supplies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I always thought that anyone living in tornado country would have supplies put back as a matter of course but I see from the news reports that isnt always so.
    not that we get Tornado's in Britain certainly not in my part of the country and most Hurricanes by the time they cross the Atlantic are downgraded to a severe storm.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Actually, rather bizarrely we do get tornadoes in Britain. Mathematically we get more for square mile of land mass than the USA (this, of course, is by dint of Britain being tiny and USA being huge - but we do get a couple every year) :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    like I said, not in my part of the country, probably due to the underlying rock formation, although I have heard of the odd one in the North of England .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think they happen mostly due to street layouts, one particular street in Birmingham has had several over the last century. I don't know of any at all in our area.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We would call a "tornado" small enough to go down a street a "dust devil." They can be over a mile wide.

They are facinating things and can do some insane things at times. A tornado tore the roof off of my Great Grandfathers house and took half the house with it...but left sheet music on the piano that was against a surviving inside wall.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the USA, tornadoes most often target trailer-home parks.

Old joke:

Q: "What does a tornado and a redneck divorce have in common?"

A: "Somebody's gonna lose a trailer."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    I spent about 20 years in Missouri in an area that was prone to tornadoes. Our solution was an earth contact home and a root cellar/tornado shelter.Used to every farm had a root cellar that served that purpose.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    recent weather predictions say the UK could get snow on Christmas Day, that hasnt happened for a number of years, probably not down this way, more like the North of England down to the Midlands.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17068556/snow-forecast-freezing-cold-christmas/

temp conversion + 13 C = + 56 F____ - 6 C = - 22 F

Quotations in color Blue:

Highs of 13C are forecast in parts of the UK over the next two days - but the Met Office has issued a yellow warning for fog today and tomorrow for areas in East England.

The Met Office has warned icy fog could lead to poor visibility on the roads which could cause travel disruption.

But temperatures are set to plunge to freezing in the days before Christmas with biting lows of -6C expected in Scotland on the big day.

Storm Corrie is then set to lash the country with blizzards and chilly winds blasting in straight from the Arctic just after Christmas.

Heavy snow is then set to hit parts of the country - with some areas expected to be blanketed in up to a staggering 10 inches of the white stuff.

If the poor weather does materialise, parts of central and southern Wales would see astonishing drifts of snow as deep as 9.8 inches in places.

-----------------

America being as vast as it is will see all manner of weather conditions this Christmas. Here's weather.com's best guesses. Note that in mountainous regions, all bets are off as to how bad things will get, roads passable vs. impassable. Mountain folk pack their home's larder before winter -- guess why.

https://weather.com/safety/winter/news/2021-12-14-white-christmas-forecast-snow

upload_2021-12-17_13-2-3.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "VIDEO: Kentucky Family Survived Tornadoes Thanks to Underground Prefab Storm Shelter"

https://www.breitbart.com/weather/2...rvived-storm-using-underground-storm-shelter/

"As the storm made its way through Bremen, 'It started shaking the lid real bad, we had to hold it down,' Pointer told WHAS 11. The family made it through the storm safely, thanks to the shelter his father installed ten years ago.

"The family never used the shelter prior to December 10, but it proved extremely useful even after the storm when their home was in tatters, and the family needed shelter.

"Pointer’s father could not remember how much it cost to put the shelter in over a decade ago, but he and his son agree that their family’s safety is priceless."

=============

This company makes prefab storm shelters in above-ground and below-ground models:
    https://survive-a-storm.com/residential-storm-shelters/

There are other companies, but I've not looked them up.

A do-it-yourself storm shelter would also provide you with a good root cellar.

View attachment 6693

18. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The concrete slab that is scheduled for my family group to put in this coming Thursday incorporates partial underground rooms for storms / root cellar . We will be doing the slab ourselves as we couldn't find a contractor willing to actually work . The same for the rest of the structure . We will potentially send one of our group to a saw mill as the saw mill owner can't find help either and saw up the logs to build a log house . This house will call for thinking out of the box of usual construction . --- A few nights ago the wife , grandson and myself were woke up during the predawn hours with a big boom that sounded like a very big explosion . Actually that boom woke up everyone in the area , not just my house .It turned out we were sitting almost directly on top of the epicenter of a earth quake . It seemed to me to me to be more like the sound of a huge collapse of a cavern roof . There are a lot of caves around here .

TMT Tactical and DirtDiva like this.
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In your bunker, make sure to include tools to dig out of the place if your entry/exit gets covered with debris. Include heavy jacks and timbers. What can cover a tornado cellar can be HUGE. Also bomb concussions can cover or crush airway vents. Airway vents must have backup manual crank-type fans to move air. CO2 is heavier that O2, so the exit vent must be at the bottom of the room.

During the WWII battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, our troops used flame-throwers to burn the Japanese troops alive in their bunkers. The flame throwers would also eat up all the oxygen and produce massive amounts of carbon dioxide; this caused the Japanese to smother to death back down in the caves they had built. Our guys would pile burnable materials in the face of caves, torch it, cover it. This would suck the oxygen out of the place. If the Japanese troops ran out, our guys would torch them / shoot them.

TMT Tactical likes this.