What A Shot! Almost Two Miles.

Discussion in 'Gun Comparisons' started by jeager, Jun 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    World record sniper shot.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...-an-isis-fighter-with-two-mile-shot/22582879/

"The bullet was fired from a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle, the Canadian military's standard long-range weapon, positioned on a high-rise tower."

"Instead of dropping a bomb that could potentially kill civilians in the area, it is a very precise application of force and because it was so far away, the bad guys didn't have a clue what was happening."

As a former police sniper I appreciate such a feat.
    ( I never had to shoot anyone. I'm grateful.)

2. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Amazing shot, at that distance and trajectory he would have had to aim so far above the target that I can't imagine he was even seeing him through the scope.

3. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I can't find any information on the scope used but I bet it was the best
    that can be had.
    Anyone out there able to find anything on the net about the scope used?

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I used to regularly shoot to 1,000m plus and the variables add up as distance increases!
    3.5km is a long long way, but from a highrise there would be little turbulence or heat haze!

Wonder if he had a splash plate at that range? was it a first shot or did he walk them in?
    Regardless that's some awesome shooting

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The old, long-standing, record was held by Hathcock using a Browning fifty with an improvised scope.
    Here's one write-up with a photo:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-the-longest-sniper-kill-was-with-a-ma-duece/

The above article sez Charlie was on a bicycle (?). Anybody else hear/read this same story? New to me. And the photo in the article, I'm more inclined to believe this picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/P57fW.jpg
    Right? Somebody recognize this?
    OK, so I just this moment found another source and that also said that Charlie was on a bike carrying an AK. My memories are toast it would seem.

You know what, if a soldier gets nuked at that kind of distance, his Karma was waaaaaay off. I mean really! The shooter and his spotter put all of their skills and brains to bear to put one on target, admirable ......... but Mirza Ambient Temperaturideen just had to have had the odds against him that day. Obviously some sort of MEGA-Negative Karma -- and I can imagine being a member of ISIS could royally sink your Karma -- caused the dang bullet to be sucked through the ribs of this deserving individual. Holy camel crap, I'm thinking that had he not taken a sniper round, he would have been killed by a meteorite, or pecked to death by a dodo bird.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Amazing anyway. A little luck too but still great skill as well.

7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    pure luck. ????????????????????

It's a mystery to me what tossing a coin has to do with long range precision shooting.
    Perhaps you have a sniper scope on your coins that you toss?
    Perhaps you are trained in surgical shooting?
    Military? Police? Reading True Detective magazine perhaps?
    I'll just bet Carlos Hathcock made all those long distance shots out of pure luck.
    Carlos (r.i.p.) was a fine person as well as a fantastic marksman.
    I once beat Massad Ayoob in a formal handgun match. Actually I scored #1 overall in a contest
    with 200 + other competitors in London, Ohio.
    Then there are the matches in Michigan and Pa.
    But that was a long time ago and I might be a bit rusty now though I still shoot once a
    week at my range at home.
    Don't know of Carlos Hathcock? Don't know what match is in London, Ohio?
    Understand what P.P.C. is?
    No? Then it might we well advised if you just read and learn and comment less.
    Everyone has an anal orifice. Some are sooooooooooooooo willing to expose their own.
    Just sayin'.:D

8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    The ASA study, which is titled “Police Sniper Utilization Report 2005,” revealed that contrary to the old 70-yard myth, the average range at which police snipers engage suspects is actually 51 yards.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2005/08/sight-picture.aspx

51 yards. I was Lt. Commander of S.W.A.T. before I was finally disabled with 13 serious injury,
    my 4th broken back.
    We had 3 Ruger H-bar rifles in .308 and practiced out to 100 yards. We also shot at 20, and yardages
    in between 10 and 100.
    We also bought 5 H.K. MP-5 sub guns in 9mm, and two of those were suppressed.
    ( talk about FUN! shooting!)
    Now I was in an average sized city of about 50,000 permanent residents, and in the TOP TEN
    cities in Ohio for violent crime. The year I got disabled we hit number one in the State.
    I never fired any weapon at any human though I could have, I was lucky and had a choice.
    I chose not to kill. I'm glad of that.
    Two of my men did shoot people but they survived.
    A deputy friend of mine shot three people in one incident and one of those was dead at the
    scene.
    The deputy eventually took a disability. Frankly he was a mental and emotional wreck.
    A year later he committed suicide.
    4 of our officers had mental and emotional disorders requiring hospitalization.
    I have severe p.t.s.d., depression, and crippling injuries. It ain't always speeding tickets
    and coffee and donuts.
    We shot our 308 rifles equipped with Leupold scopes at night with only our overhead
    blue lights to see the targets. That too was super fun and quite an education.
    I was trained by the Smith and Wesson Academy, Massad Ayoob of Lethal Force Institute
    and Carlos Hathcock, ( r.i.p. ) and about 25 or so training seminars to the Ohio Peace Officers
    Training Academy.
    My partner in the detective bureau blew his brains out.
    I've NEVER been suicidal.
    Sometimes county deputies might need to take a shot beyond 50 or so yards I suppose.
    I was 48 when I got disabled.

9. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    1/2 mile stuff is baloney is spot one TRUE.
    If some "threat" is 1/2 mile away it ain't a threat.
    I don't know what kind of shtf situation would require 600 yard shots. Must be some but
    right off I can't think of any.
    Still shooting at long range is fun and educational. There is at least one 600 yard range in
    Ohio ...someplace????????????
    I can get 125 in my back yard range.