What Are Some Basic I Need To Know Before Camping In The Woods?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by quit13quinn, Jul 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. quit13quinn

quit13quinn New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi, my name is Quinton bullock

I want to start camping soon since it's the summer and I have plenty of free time, I live in the westmost part of Arizona and plan to go up north for camping purposes. Some problems are that I don't know any of the basic like when it come to starting and stoping a camp fire. Any and all replies would help a lot.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a big subject to cover in one reply Quinton, there are a lot of skills you need to learn & practice before you go camping away from civilization. Camping trips sound like a good adventurous activity, but things can go wrong. I have been attacked on camping trips, so carrying a firearm is recommended. Best if you look through the forum & see what is already covered.
    When making fire you should make sure it is safe to do so, especially in summer. In summer here we have fire bans. You need to make sure that you clear an area roughly 2 meters all round your fire & camp area. In summer conditions never leave your fire unattended. When you put your fire out bury it well with clean dirt (no sticks or debris). Soak in water if you have it to spare. If you are not near water you can urinate on the fire to help extinguish it.
    Keith.

3. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    halloo thanks Keith I like that fire point well, it's very important to have water with you or very nearby sometimes some piece woods can make the fire grow larger and having water with you can help you to control the fire or you can also use dust in case it gets too large and you don't have water.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Camping is fun. I guess you need to learn the basics like starting a fire. I would recommend to bring flint and match. Its better to have 2 fire starters because if one fails atleast you still have another option. Watch videos about building a fire and also how to set up a camp. The good thing about videos is, you can see how things are prepared and built. Bring a tent or a tarp just incase. A good knife is also essential. I would actually bring a knife and an axe just to be sure. Survival gear such as things you need for fishing is also a must. A gun will also be helpful.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. laurelsantos

laurelsantos Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

Keith.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    From the top of my head, a new camper should first learn how to cook. Let's say there are 4 of you in the group and no one knows how to cook. So what would happen if you catch or find something edible in the woods? The second thing to learn is the safety particularly when walking in a grassy trail. The location of the shelter should also be taken into consideration. And I'm sure you already know how to pitch a tent because you wouldn't bring along a tent if you don't know how to pitch it, right? Maybe that will do for now.