What are the food uses of cacti?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by thePENofGODx0x0xz7, Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have heard of extracting water from a cactus and have even seen that cactus jelly is very popular in the southwest. What are some edible cactus recipes that incorporate the prickly cactus aka desert fruit?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never eaten a cacti however I knew that some cacti are edible. If you are in a desert and need water, you can peel cacti skin and squeeze cacti for water. I have seen Beer Grills do this on Man Vs. Wild show. I did not know cactus jelly was popular in the south west.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't know any recipes for cacti per se, but I too have seen the extraction of water from cactus as well. I know that a Mexican staple is pickled cactus, which I have tried before. It is a bit slimy, but definetly edible. I am sure if you googled cactus recipies you would find some to choose from, although how many you could make in a survival situation would be questionable.

4. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I think it depends on the cactus since there are thousands of different species, but I remember reading that the prickly pear cacti y0u mentioned are extremely healthy, and back in the days they were used by doctors as medicines.
    Apparently they are depurative, and a natural laxative. They also help with your blood sugars and cholesterol.