What Are Your Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Other Hobbies, Jobs, or Pastime' started by Maria_C, Jul 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanx much for the info! Remington. Gotta remember to buy some Remington and see how it performs at the range.

2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow Tom!!

I never thought about it like that. Thanks for that information. I 'll have to think about it for awhile. Avoid 1980s and up newer cars.

Sounds like it would do alright in my 1967 Chevy 6 cylinder out in my garage. Nothing fancy about that engine and it's all steel.

I've put water injection on it..and it helps a bit ..but this engine does not like unleaded fuel.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

3. I.survive

I.survive Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    My hobbies are Preparation for life after shtf,fishing also Bushcraft survival training, hunting. Woodwork. Knife making.also Fun;)

Some see hobby prepers as not serious. Shame really because anything that makes you a step ahead is preparation and good preparation. There’s not a wrong way to preparation. Wrong would be not doing it ! :)

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Bluesky9

Bluesky9 Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Gardening and honeybees. Keeps me busy enough. I did spend a couple of weeks this summer remodeling our church basement. I am a retired electrical contractor.
    Tomorrow, I need to buy some gas without ethanol so I can start a generator. Haven't run it for three years and expect it to start without problems.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Fishing, camping, civil war re-enacting , gardening, exploring the wilderness , beer drinking, hunting, shooting, reading lots of different books . hanging out at the beach

Radar and Keith H. like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    preparing for SHTF.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I collect airplane wings. The ones pilots and flight attendants wear. I fly in flight Simulator, mess around with computers and what have you and interested in radio communications. I might dabble in electronics every now and then.

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Now lets see, over the years its been fishing, spearfishing, shooting, hunting, war and war history basicly all things war, MA, competition shooting, making things, unmaking things:D, CB radio stuff, most things homesteading/farming, survivalism and reading tech and science stuff ( I know in fairly good detail how most things are built/work and could build most things in theory if not reality ).
    Newest hobby is cooking, something I resisted for decades but now must do daily!:oops:

9. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Gardening, animal husbandry, and building farm outbuildings were never my hobbies, but now I find that I'm doing them in my "retirement". I used to do a lot of motorcycle touring, as well as scuba diving in Micronesia and Hawaii and throughout Mexico, but being retired means watching one's budget more. So now it's mostly reading and writing poetry, picking and singing bluegrass music, helping my wife cook, and taking fun courses at the local junior college.

Radar, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Having a garden myself, I know it is hard work to maintain & certainly not a lame hobby. A very important hobby!
    Keith.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My hobbies is learning to prep and designing a long term SHTF homestead. I am more than knowledgeable in facility maintenance, both hands on and theory. I do think that when TSHTF, it is going to be a very long term event, not years but decades or more. So I design and plan for that duration. I spend a lot of time researching concepts and products and then changing plans and designs based on the findings. I was hoping to use RC drones to act as a recon device, well that is a no-go. Just discovered the I.R. cameras are too low of a resolution to work out. They would have to fly within shotgun range, which defeats their value. That is my hobby and current job, preparing and of course that means I must spend time on the rifle range, oh poor me. :D

Radar, poltiregist and Keith H. like this.
  12. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Mine is prepping , inspired by our own " Keith H " I have been playing around a lot lately building fires using native materials and a flint and steel . Was hoping to go to the creek this evening to search for flint rocks but my survival milk goat needed milking . A problem someone may be able to help me with, my flint rocks get rounded off from beating on them so much , have busted some open trying to get sharper edges using a railroad spike and hammer , I feel there is a better way that I haven't discovered yet . I have discussed with the wife about the green house design our "TMT Tactical " presented yesterday . Also discussed with the wife about purchasing Indian runner ducks for egg laying that our "Texdanm " recommended .

Radar, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Your flints should not be losing its edge after just a few strikes. There is a possibility that you are striking the steel at the wrong angle & causing too much damage to the flint.
    The angle at which the flint should strike the steel is about the same as sharpening a pencil with a knife. The flint has to cut minute slithers of metal from the steel, these are the sparks.
    Other rocks can be used, such as agate, quartz, chert, obsidian, or jasper.
    Knapping a siliceous rock can be done in the manner you are using, or you can use pliers to nibble at the edge or pressure.

Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There has been some discussion here about the difference between treating prepping/survivalist thing as hobby rather than a lifestyle. To me it has been both a hobby and a lifestyle. A lifestyle it something that is sort of forced on you by circumstances. A hobby on the other hand is something that you do because of love and pleasure.

I really have felt for a loooong time like we, as a culture, have about run our course. I have always taken my responsibility of taking care of my family very seriously. I could see my preparations in the same light as I do any other sort of insurance. If that was the case I would have bought a few guns, put back a years supply of food and then with a few basic skills would have more or less been done with it.

Instead it has led to a lifelong fascination with all aspects of survival and crafts. As a scout I learned how to dependably make a one match fire. Now I have several thousand matches stored in water proof air tight storage, Multiple sets of flint and steel, about 50 ferocerium rods, 3 fire pistons, all sorts of magnifying solar based fire starters, mirror style, magnifying glasses, and Fresnel lenses, and have a working knowledge of how to make fire by rubbing pieces of wood together. Personally my dislike for rubbing wood together may have been part of the spur to find other better and more dependable way to make fire. I could have stopped a long time ago and been well prepared but I still like to try every new fire making gadget that I come across.

I am at least as bad about collecting cooking stoves and camp type cooking utensils. Rocket stove, jet stoves, propane stoves, jet stoves, several types of wood and charcoal stoves and smokers. I have enough tents to sleep about 40 people. I have one entire building devoted to fishing gear, leather working, knife making, fly tying, reloading g and braiding type work. Another building is my machine shop with both metal and wood working machines. It also has tig, arch and acetylene welders and my anvil and vices. A third building is for painting, crafts, and refinishing furniture and is mostly my wife's domain.

I have tried to duplicate most of my machines with old school hand tools. We go to a lot of flea markets and garage sales where I have found a lot of just great old tools that the young people inherited from grandparents and considered it junk as I'm sure my grand kids will.

A hobby is about the things in life that you love/like/enjoy. It is a little like the difference between a professional and and amateur in any field. The pro is doing it for the money while the amateur is doing it for their pleasure. This is why in the past so many of out greatest advances came from amateurs that went down a road that at first had very little obvious economic value.

A professional only goes as far as is economically beneficial while an amateur always goes way beyond that. I'm old now. I have more than enough to survive long past my natural life expectancy. Nonetheless I got a new assisted-opening karambit knife for Christmas and loved it. It doesn't improve my chances for survival but it sure is nice and made me smile. That ks the difference between a hobby and just living a certain way to improve your chances of survival.

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We chose our off grid lifestyle, this is the way we prefer to live. But your comment made me think more about the people who can't choose their lifestyle!
    Keith.

Radar, The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Well put TexDanm.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  17. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    We are talking differing levels of commitment ... if you want to take it to that level, by all means go with it. If someone else wants to prep to a lesser level what’s it to You? Even an experienced survivalist may not make it through TEOTWAWKI while a part-timer might ... luck or fate or whatever you want to call it plays a part. I am in favour of everyone prepping to some degree, it makes for better odds for everyone.

18. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    My hobbies have varied over the years. I’ve painted, done wood @nd soapstone carving, lapidary, basic leatherwork, book repair. Bits and pieces of a lot of things. I am blessed (cursed?) with a hunger for knowledge and a short attention span. I’ve collected coins, stamps, an$ a variety of things. Books are my favourite. I love to read.i am always having to remind my self to go and do after reading about something because book learning is invaluable but it needs practical hands on practice to be useful.

19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    18th century Living History, Historical Trekking, Experimental Archaeology, writing, reading, video production, bush walking, muzzleloading, photography, research.
    What makes them special? I suppose the first three are educational, adventurous & exciting, the others are to some extent the same, plus I just find them interesting. I love being outdoors, I feel that is where I belong.
    Keith.

25abd36ee2ea52927cc3d4c777a9816a.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    I don’t blame you for scratching your head. I was commenting (I thought) on another post by someone else, not sure how it got here. Ignore it please.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh no worries, I was just a little confused :)
    Keith.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bought two US Silver Dollars at 90% fine and put them away. I carry two such coins in my pocket daily.

Interesting to watch the faces of young people today who haven't a clue as to what they are.....

Lapidary...Wow InnKeeper....been years since I have done any of that kind of work as a teen. I could never afford the nicer stones.....but it was interesting work to me....

Was fascinated to learn that the star in the Star Sapphire or Star Ruby was a sort of flaw in the stone...and when the light hit it properly it would form a star. The trick as I recall was to grind the stone such that the star was properly sitting in your chosen setting. They are quite beautiful when properly done.

In their raw form they look similar to stones you would fine in a parking lot or on the ground...unless you knew what they were.

Like to work my Ham Radio..and on occasion ..try to fabricate my own antennas..Just to know that I can do it.

Like to read as well....love the smell of an olde book store....electronic books, to me, will never have the appeal of a real hard cover book.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    My Hobbies are: Writing, Reading, Watching Movies/TV, Gardening, Hiking, Fishing, Camping. Collecting Books. I used to play video games a lot, not anymore really.

I don't consider Prepping a "Hobby" though, It could mean the difference between life and death, so it's like a full-time job to me.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  24. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Active Member
      45/58

Blog Posts:
    I study WW2 history. Started collecting Coleman lanterns and stoves. I like to get them back in working order. Quite the history in Coleman alone.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Acrylic painting, sculpting, flint knapping, photography and weapons building.

TMT Tactical and Oddcaliber like this.
  26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I chase after young women. They always get away. I must use my cane to keep my hips from hurting ... and my knees ... and my sacroiliacs ... yes yes yes, it's embarrassing! I'm just trying to be serious here and everybody's laughing. So do the young women (under 50). I get no respect.

7e894274b9d7d60fc6c81f6658bb98de.jpeg

wally, TMT Tactical and Oddcaliber like this.
  27. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    computers, target shooting, knives, toy soldiers, books, hiking, fishing A LOT making bugout bags....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

I collect political paraphernalia.

Got an oil concession offshore leasehold chart for a foreign land and it's territorial waters. Makes Chiang Kai Chek and Harry Sinclair appear like Albert Schweitzers and Sam Rayburns.

Got a photocopy of Fawn Hall signature. She was assistant to Ollie North (US Senate candidate in Virginia) when they eorked on Old Executive Office Building, D.C. swamp.

Got a tube of Harley Davidson chain grease.

Got an insignia from a WWI Chinese unit.

Got something from a US VP candidate's campaign. Do you remember Geraldine Ferraro after the scandal broke ? I've obtained a pin worn by the opposition party's silver-haired women. The pin reads:

"Come Clean Geraldine"

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  29. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    All my interest revolve around prepping / survival . Hunting , fishing , gardening , tending to milk goats , adding to the groups survival capabilities with solar panels , alternate water supplies , walk in smoke house , building more structures on our survival retreat . In other words I am in full psycho survival mode .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  30. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, me too.

wally, randyt, TMT Tactical and 2 others like this.
  31. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    not sure if it would be considered a hobby but my interest revolve around being self sufficient as possible.

32. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Like most of the last few post my hobbies could all just be classified under survival and prepping. I enjoy learning about pre industrial methods of living, whether that's food storage and preservation or making soap etc I find it fascinating. But it still falls under how to survive when the grid no longer exists. Gardening. Hiking. Actually if I really want to relax out comes the air rifle.

TMT Tactical, randyt and poltiregist like this.